Sign in to follow this  
hjwalter

AI aircraft wagging their tails FS9

Hi all,When certain AI aircraft taxi along AFCAD taxiways and especially when they pass link nodes, they wag their tails. Some do and some don't.This can be especially unrealistic when e.g. a (large) ship like the Queen Mary II, which has been specified as an "AI aircraft", moves along it's assigned AFCAD water taxiway.Does anyone know a method for damping this phenomenon ? A solution maybe ?RegardsHans

Maybe they're just happy to see you? ;)

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

>Maybe they're just happy to see you? ;):-lol ROTFLMAO

Actually i have always wondered why they do that.Something that hot young things(not old gits like me)might possibly describe as "shaking there booties"? Any ideas.....clever clogs required.cheers Andy

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

For a specific ai model liked the Queen Mary after making a safe copy of aircraft.cfg and try modifying the following examples from another ai model:rudder_effectiveness=1.000yaw_stability=1.000after which you'd have to go into the model and modify the flight dynamics with something like AirEd. That would probably be OK the the QM but I do not know about aircraft.Another thing you could do is modify for the QM in aircraft.cfg (as illustrated in the ai aircraft example):point.0=1, 36.3701, 0, -7.4059, 1181.1, 0, 1.442, 55.92, 1, 2.5, 0.9, 4, 4, 0, 0, 0here in the eighth field the 55.92 is the maximum nose wheel steering deflection and reduce it if this line is present and virtualized in the QM. If a virtualized nosewheel is used on the water taxiway, then this might help when the nose wheel gets "jerked" to follow the sharp edges of taxi-paths at intersections.For your water taxiways consider using AFCAD to try changing a turn into several short taxi links for a smoother rounded path. Zoom in on an intersection to see what it looks like.I'm just guessing at this stuff not having implemented any water-bound ai ships.

Thanks Ron for your non comedian answer.Well, before posting my original problem as a kind of last resort I had already tried most of your suggestions and more, e.g. in/decreasing the AI Queen Mary's empty weight and by using an amphibian aircraft's .air file, etc. All with no results. It now seems that the problem is mainly caused by the FS9 AI engine disregarding very many specifications in the aircraft.cfg file. The AI Queen Mary even makes Cessna-172 sounds which also cannot be influenced but that aside because those sounds are drowned out by the aircraft from which I'm doing the viewing anyway.Yes, I now agree with you that the only way of damping an AI ship's wagging movements in corners seems to be the placement of many more link nodes in the AFCAD water taxiways and by making those corners less sharp.However, with actual AI aircraft this not always possible because of their taxiway width and corner constraints.Thanks again.HansP.S. Here in Holland we also have many puddles and a lot more straight and narrow ones.

It seems you may not be aware of the constraints FS2004 imposes upon ALL AI craft in regards to sound.A fairly complete discusion of this (and some alternatives) can be found in the Tips and Tricks for FS2004 series, Issue Number 11. You can find it here at Avsim as tips_ands_tricks_11.zip.You might also wish to take a look at the recent upload I compiled in collobration with John B. Loney. This has the QM2 at the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal in New York. This package can be found at Avsim as qm2brook.zip. During extensive testing I saw little or no "tail wagging" as the ship makes her departure, voyage out past the Narrows bridge and returns to the dock. There are a few rather abrupt adjustments as she passes over nodes of the "invisible" taxiway but I strove the keep these at a minimum.Hopefully you will find a review of both items informative.

Hi there David,Thanks for your reaction.It was actually the installation of your very good qm2brook.zip which sparked off my first post on the wagging AI Queen Mary isssue.Well, even after altering Queen Mary's traject on the QM2B "airport" and creating many more AFCAD taxiway link nodes, the wagging still persisted, all be it a little less. Only after temporarily substituting the Queen Mary for a much smaller AI ship, did the wagging stop.Conclusion: It's the Queen Mary's length that causes the exaggerated wagging and although you and John did an excelent job at minimising it, I'm now convinced that there's not much more that can be done about it. It's just the way FS9 and AFCAD works and I have at least learned something again.It's guys like you who keep guys like me flying.RegardsHans