Sign in to follow this  
Guest cbuchner1

The TileProxy project goes public in May.

Guest cbuchner1

You may not have installed TileProxy in the Flight Simulator X program folder. In this case some manual editing of scenery.cfg is required to fix the paths. My installer doesn't handle that particular case yet.FSX will only try to load highres photo texture if it can access the WORLD folder. Otherwise FSX defaults to standard scenery and TileProxy won't load anything.

Back up your FSX.cfg and scenery.cfg for sure

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

So what will need to be done for this to work if you fly jet aircraft? is it a software issue or is it the limits on how fast the info can be downloaded from the provider?TIA!

Building a full scale 737-800 Simulator running P3D v5.x 210 degree wrap around screenspacer.png

Jason Lohrenz (@lohrenz737) • Instagram photos and videos

Lohrenz 737 Simulator Project (lohrenzsimulator.com)

I tried both servers and the quality varied, here is one of Washington DC.

Guest bond

Yes, the problem was that .Now I've installed on fsx dir and it WORKS!Great job.Thanks

Also see close up of tiles blurred. Seems that the servers g0,1,2,3 are loading but there may be some other "thing"that is prevented. I have 2gb of photo-scenery for San Francisco (where I am testing) so I know that either the higher resolution (1m/pixel) stuff is blocked or ........Thanks !!! & regards,Dick Boley

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Guest cbuchner1

The download process for a single tile goes like this1) FSX opens a tile, e.g. D:World0201011223200223020SU.BMP2) tileproxy.sys intercepts that call and sends a message to ProxyUser with the filename.3) ProxyUser looks if the file exists. If not, it determines the coordinate from the filename (that's easy) and the distance to the aircraft. It loads the JPEG files it needs from the service (if not already in the cache) and decodes them, then it crops out the rectangle needed for flight simulator and converts that into a compressed BMP file for flight simulator.4) Then proxyUser passes a message back to the kernel mode driver containing the file's contents. This data is then passed on to FSX. The tile will always appear to FSX as having the highest resolution, otherwise it would stubbornly refuse to load higher resolutions when you move closer to that tile.Around the aircraft there are about 35000 tiles (!!!) to be loaded even at the lowest detail radius before a flight can commence.What takes so much time is the fact that FSX uses ground tiles that all cover the same area on the ground, about 1.1 km on each side. Far out from the aircraft, there are MANY tiles to load and MANY files to generate (even though their resolution may be low). If you move fast, a lot of extra tiles far out have to be loaded again. This could be thousands of more files. The fact that messages are need to be passed between proxyUser and the kernel mode driver for each single tile before FSX is allowed can continue loading the next tile is a quite a performance hit.

I'm using LOD_RADIUS=4.5, MESH_COMPLEXITY=23 and TEXTURE_RESOLUTION=25 and still get very good results after the initial loading time.

Guest cbuchner1

Hmm, my installer modifies the fsx.cfg to explicitly enable 1024x1024 textures. I would not know why your high res textures appear to be blocked. When you load a new flight, is the scenery immediately blurry close to the aircraft or does it only start to blur when you move?

Agreed - up the LOD a bit in your fsx.cfg file. MUCH better results with slightly distant textures. You can also do this in your FSX Options > Display > Scenery area by sliding the Level of Detail slider up a notch. The TileProxy defaults this to (Low), I am flying on (Med) with great results.-Greg

Guest henkb

Awe-some!!!great work - hope you'll get the recognition you deserve!

Guest cbuchner1

replying to my own post ;)Before service pack SP1, FSX loads all textures (and ground tiles) from a single thread. So by blocking or delaying this thread with my additional download and message passing times, the scenery loader of FSX is slowed down significantly. An apparent speed-up could be achieved by preloading some tiles before they are actually requested by FSX (anticipating that FSX will need these tiles soon). This removes the wait for web server response times from the FSX texture thread, making it faster.

well I was finally able to see some high res tiles that weren't blurry when I reloaded a flight and everything loaded again. Unfortunately as soon as I flew a few miles everything went blurry again. My default FSX scenery is that way too...My computer specs should be good enough for this but I'm not getting crisp tiles all the time...only at first load and re-loadIntel Pentium D Extreme Edition (3.7 GHZ) (Dual Core)2 GB of XMS2 RAMNVIDIA GeForce 7950GX2 with 1GB of on board video memoryFSX is on it's own partition on a WD Raptor drive.Brandon

Guest cbuchner1

Be aware that upping your LOD radius to medium or high leads to not just 35000 tiles which have to be managed, but more like 100000 (I don't have the exact figures in my head) - keeping these tiles updated when you move quickly will lead to bad blurries after a while. But of course you might own a killer gaming machine with a very fast HD which can still handle this.You can verify the number of files by looking at the properties of the World folder in Windows Explorer before and after loading a flight. The number of tiles generated depends greatly on the LOD_RADIUS setting.Christian

Guest cbuchner1

bizarre. What FPS are you getting normally? Would you try locking your frame rate at a lower number (15 or 20 FPS) to see if your scenery loading improves?