Sign in to follow this  
spilok

Rex...now, New Issue.

Stan-you could also do what I am doing. I find the clouds a toss up with Fex-but the water, and other additions top notch and superior in Rex.Just load your favorites in rex once-then run the sim without rex. Just did an fs real weather download using the rex textures and it is great. I've never liked the water in fsx-but the rex water almost makes it acceptable for me. :( In otherwords, use it the same way you use fex...
Hi, Geofa.Are you saying that you go into the Rex screens and check just the water and other additions. Then CLOSE REX...and use FS? Don't you have to LAUNCH FSX through the open REX screen to get the textures? I thought that you had to move directly into FS through the REX channel, much like the way I launch FS through FEX.Sorry if that read in a confusing manner. But if that's the case, I'll reinstall REX and check the textures you suggest, and run FS separately. I'm assuming you'll not have to open REX any more than only once after performing this procedure?Stan

Hi, Geofa.Are you saying that you go into the Rex screens and check just the water and other additions. Then CLOSE REX...and use FS? Don't you have to LAUNCH FSX through the open REX screen to get the textures? I thought that you had to move directly into FS through the REX channel, much like the way I launch FS through FEX.Sorry if that read in a confusing manner. But if that's the case, I'll reinstall REX and check the textures you suggest, and run FS separately. I'm assuming you'll not have to open REX any more than only once after performing this procedure?Stan
Yes-absolutely! Rex is the same as Fex only with the added weather engine and flight planner. If you don't like the weather engine/flight planner you can still use it in exactly the same way-have it build the textures you like and then exit the program. I've tried it both using Active Sky, and the built in fs rw download.

Stan,And to clarify, you do NOT have to launch FSX using the FEX interface either. That is just a "convenience" option available to you after you load new FEX textures. I never use it. Just install the new textures using the FEX interface, then you can close FEX, then launch FSX whenever you want. What Geoffa says is to do the same thing with REX. Make sure you DESELECT the option in REX to use the real-world weather engine, then just Install the texture sets you want (sky, clouds, runways, etc) into FSX. Then close the REX interface, and start FSX yourself. Until you manually change those installed textures again (using REX, FEX, or any other third-party texture program), EVERY time you start FSX after that you will get the LAST set of textures you installed to FSX.FalconAF

Rick Ryan

You also don't need REX to get the better looking water. It's been available for free for some time, same as is included in REX (I believe)http://www.fswaterconfigurator.com/
Yes-probably true-but I find the Rex package has so many other things such as runways (I could swear the taxi way signs have a more 3d look to them but I could be crazy on that one) that I am happy with my purchase for the textures alone. They are working very hard on the other issues and I am sure it will be made whole on a regular basis. I like to support hard working groups like this even if their first effort isn't perfect-after all no support and there will be no products...Now if we could only get the IRS to recognize contributions to flight simming as tax deductable!

Yes-probably true-but I find the Rex package has so many other things such as runways (I could swear the taxi way signs have a more 3d look to them but I could be crazy on that one) that I am happy with my purchase for the textures alone. They are working very hard on the other issues and I am sure it will be made whole on a regular basis. I like to support hard working groups like this even if their first effort isn't perfect-after all no support and there will be no products...
Geofa - Couldn't agree more. Like many others, I have FEX, REX, GEX, ASX and a whole other bunch of X's installed. During the initial hype, I was impressed with the screenies but doubted they could deliver completely right out of the box. But, like you, I like to support new companies that seem to have talent.For me, the download was the easiest part - last night was the first I have been able to load textures from REX w/o crashing my system.Prior to this I used FEX clouds & water, XGraphics cirrus & aiport and ASX weather engine. After looking at some of the REX textures it looks llike I'll give most of their clouds and water a shot but stay with XG for tarmac, rwy etc. Using ASX for weather is a no brainer.And seems like HiFi Simulations has an update coming so the status may change.After all is said and done and knowing what I know now - I'd still purchase REX - I don't feel cheated with what I have received.As usual - just MHO,Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Totally agree with Geoffa and Vic above. Despite my posts pointing out some of the "problems" currently exhibited with REX, I also want to post the following.I just did a flight with many of the REX new textures, and I have to say I am impressed by many of them. The new runway textures that show a "rainy" or "wet" runway are very good. I also installed one of the cumulus HD cloud sets, then chose the Major Thunderstorm theme in FSX, and flew it with a Dusk time setting. It WAS very impressive. And the frame rates were also friendly.I did notice one thing using the Major Thunderstorm theme in FSX when I switched times to Day and the clouds were presented more like what we have grown accustomed to seeing in the pre-release REX screenshots. I finally saw those VERY SAME picture perfect cloud images shown on all those screenshots. It WAS very impressive. But there is a "but" to what I also saw.It appears that maybe the "revolutionary" part of the REX cloud presentations in FSX is a "combination" of "flat" photorealistic cloud pictures, and clouds that are generated "on the fly". The difference in these two "textures" is that you can fly "around" the second ones, and they change perspective as you circle them. The "photoreal" ones NEVER change perspective...you can fly a 360-degree circle around them, and the same "picture face" of the cloud will be presented to you. It's like the cloud continually turns with you to face the same way all the time. There is no "depth" or "3-D" to these clouds...as far as circling them...but you CAN fly through them with realistic results. That isn't necessarily bad...they look fantastic from a distance and you would never notice this until you got "up close and personal" with them and started trying to fly circles around them.Those "screenshot" clouds are out there. They seem to be combined with the "regular" clouds that get displayed. Load up some massive thunderstorm clouds with large base-to-top altitudes, and you will see them. And they DO look VERY good in FSX.FalconAF

Rick Ryan

It appears that maybe the "revolutionary" part of the REX cloud presentations in FSX is a "combination" of "flat" photorealistic cloud pictures, and clouds that are generated "on the fly". The difference in these two "textures" is that you can fly "around" the second ones, and they change perspective as you circle them. The "photoreal" ones NEVER change perspective...you can fly a 360-degree circle around them, and the same "picture face" of the cloud will be presented to you. It's like the cloud continually turns with you to face the same way all the time. There is no "depth" or "3-D" to these clouds...as far as circling them...but you CAN fly through them with realistic results. That isn't necessarily bad...they look fantastic from a distance and you would never notice this until you got "up close and personal" with them and started trying to fly circles around them.FalconAF
Hi FalconAF:Thanks for your kind, and honest words. But welcome to the FSX engine! ;)Tim

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com

I have to agree with many of the comments here. The whole download / install procedure is also another frustration from a release standpoint. I spent one day downloading, and over an hour trying to get the install to work. I've re downloaded some of the files and I'm still not up and running. One of the .cab's is always corrupt. So I delete and re download the .dat. Needless to say this tedious process can quickly become a huge turnoff. Although now since I've spent the money I feel like I have to get it working otherwise I'll really be upset with myself.I can't believe that the download / install procedure didn't throw out any red flags during the beta process.

Building a full scale 737-800 Simulator running P3D v5.x 210 degree wrap around screenspacer.png

Jason Lohrenz (@lohrenz737) • Instagram photos and videos

Lohrenz 737 Simulator Project (lohrenzsimulator.com)

You also don't need REX to get the better looking water. It's been available for free for some time, same as is included in REX (I believe)http://www.fswaterconfigurator.com/
Actually , they are different.FSWC adjusts the shaders, REX changes the textures.You can use FSWC with REX to enhance it further.

What Geoffa says is to do the same thing with REX. Make sure you DESELECT the option in REX to use the real-world weather engine, then just Install the texture sets you want (sky, clouds, runways, etc) into FSX. Then close the REX interface, and start FSX yourself. FalconAF
One thing to keep in mind is REX installs ALL the textures by default everytime!Even ones you didn't change. It will copy the existing ones over again, unlessyou use the Options screen, to select those you changed and deselect those you did not.I don't know why that is not automated.Using the Option screen saves a lot of time on loading textures and should keep your HD defrag in better shape.I'd like to see an install button on each icon in the Theme Config screen, so after you make a change you can just install that specific texture and be done,not worry about the options screen.I prefer using REX just to load specific textures manually, shut REX down and run FSX, and choose my weather in FSX.The REX Weather Engine both real time and even static does not work most of times I tried it, does not connect or the requested static weather does not appear.Also the haze issue with real time weather is a non starter for me.I have no real need for the flight planner and weather tracker.I downloaded without issue, while they had links to the packages on the forum.They have since removed those links probably to save bandwidth for buyers only.Purchased and activated quickly too. After install, was messy as the default options have DXT5 off,and my system crashed unless it was checked.Overall I like the REX textures, gives FSX new life,I think they could have saved most of the issuesbuy just releasing a texture install program only,or having much wider beta testing of the full app.

Thank you...THANK YOU! I will reinstall REX tonight and follow your instructions as written. That makes me feel better with the purchase until Real Environment patches the product properly.I really look forward to those textures....without the "buggy" weather interfering with the experience.Stan

Geoffa and others.REX re-installed and just loaded textures (no weather). Works as you said it would. Looks great after my first flight. Loved the clouds and had no slow downs.Thanks again for the good advice.Stan

Geoffa and others.REX re-installed and just loaded textures (no weather). Works as you said it would. Looks great after my first flight. Loved the clouds and had no slow downs.Thanks again for the good advice.Stan
Glad you got it to work Stan-there is some remarkable stuff there!

Throw some good cumulus textures in there, then load up the FSX Thunderstorm Theme and do a Dusk or Dawn flight. Colors are really good, and the lightening will get your attention, too!

Rick Ryan