Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jfri

A good antivirus program

I have used NOD32 as antivirus sw and it's time to pay a new yearly subscription. That I find very expensive. So I'm considering getting something else. What good alternatives are there? For example I have heard that NORTON is bad for FS. Is there something else I should stay away from?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I have used NOD32 as antivirus sw and it's time to pay a new yearly subscription. That I find very expensive. So I'm considering getting something else. What good alternatives are there? For example I have heard that NORTON is bad for FS. Is there something else I should stay away from?
$27 per year is too much for arguably the best AV around?I wouldn't touch Norton or McAffee with a 10 foot pole and I doubt the renewal rate is much if anything cheaper.Do yourself a favour. You already have the best. Pay the 27 bucks and be done with it.....

$27 per year is too much for arguably the best AV around?I wouldn't touch Norton or McAffee with a 10 foot pole and I doubt the renewal rate is much if anything cheaper.Do yourself a favour. You already have the best. Pay the 27 bucks and be done with it.....
No $27 isn't to much but $47 (375 SEK) is and that is the price I found on ESET homepage. Regarding NOD32 being best it has given me several false warnings for FS related stuff, for example FSUIPC for FSX.

You may also want to try Avira Free. I'm using it with no side effects on FSX and it's rated as one of best.http://www.free-av.com/
I checked that site anf found that with the free version I will missEnhanced email protection for POP3 and SMTPWonder what that might mean for practical reason? I might point out that I don't open suspicious mail attachements.

No $27 isn't to much but $47 (375 SEK) is and that is the price I found on ESET homepage. Regarding NOD32 being best it has given me several false warnings for FS related stuff, for example FSUIPC for FSX.
Yes.. many AVs have the save issue with files. AVG had all flight1 installers marked as viruses for a period of time too. In the case of NOD, its rare to see a false positive however that can happen with any AV product. They give you the option to mark the file/folder as safe and ignored in NOD.What NOD32 will not do is kill your FS perf and it has the highest catch/kill rate of any AV product on the market with the least footprint on the systemThe only cost of 47 dollars is the first time install.. it is 27 dollars per year thereafter. If you purchased the product last year your fee for the year is 27 not 47as for freeware AV.. you get what you pay for, thats all I am going to say

What NOD32 will not do is kill your FS perf and it has the highest catch/kill rate of any AV product on the market with the least footprint on the system
Why should any AV product kill the FS performence? It can be switched off during FS use by alacrityPC so wht bother about that?

Why should any AV product kill the FS performence? It can be switched off during FS use by alacrityPC so wht bother about that?
The point is that you may have an active AV protection while flying FSX. If I wanna read my mail or visit some internet sites, I only have to pause FSX and do it. No need to end the FSX session and restart AV background services and AV agent/client.

Plus not all AV products completely disable at the service level, even if you think it's disabled - a security feature to stop viruses (virii?) disabling AV protection, common sense if you think about it.Using something like NOD32, you can just set and forget, no need to disable it.

You can create an exception for all the FSX folder. That way there is no impact on FSX performance and you can leave your AV on during flight, if you so desire.I don't know what is that enhanced email protection. I don't use POP3 email. Guess it may be some kind of spam protection.Cheers.

The only cost of 47 dollars is the first time install.. it is 27 dollars per year thereafter. If you purchased the product last year your fee for the year is 27 not 47
Not according to the info I can findhttp://www.eset.com/index.phppurchase and renew tells me both that the cost is 376 SEK

The latest version of Norton has a Gaming mode, which makes it "back off" while gaming, much less intrusive etc. It got a good review on a tech website (can't recall which one).Personally I vouch for AVG free. Lean, light and seems to capture everything thrown at it. I occasionally stick McAfee on the box too to double check. AVG has never failed to detect viruses on my machine, whereas McAfee and Norton have.

Try here: http://www.eset.com/purchase/renewals.php $27.99 for one user renewal.
No clicking at that link had me redirected to my local country page which was exacly the link I gave with the same prices 376 SEK.And I really find that unreasonable expensive for a year subscription.

No clicking at that link had me redirected to my local country page which was exacly the link I gave with the same prices 376 SEK.And I really find that unreasonable expensive for a year subscription.
The quote of 376 SEK comes from the purchase page of http://www.esetscandinavia.com/, not http://www.eset.com/index.php. This is a global partner site that one can be directed to via a link. As I'm not familiar with the European monetary system, is this the amount with VAT applied? Wonder why the difference?