Sign in to follow this  
tinhead59

Headsets

I need to purchase a headset with microphone attached and was wondering if any of you who use them already had any advise or opinions about what they find works for them and how good the microphone works for voice recognition. Also how long can you wear them before they bother you if at all. Thanks in advance for any info you can provide............John

Hi John.I've tried quite a few and found that just about anything, like an inexpensive Labtec, work equally well. I like to use the unit with two earpieces because I like to listen to music with them also, stereo.As to the time it depends on the individual, I've been using DC and Peltor, in real flying for the last 30 some odd years and nothing seems to bother me, but the Labtecs are light and comfortable for most people. You can add an extra layer of spongy covers if they are not comfortable for you. Most of the problems, with recognition, can be resolved by increasing your Mic gain in your Mobo. TV

Guest Boeing Skunk Works

The Telex 5x5 Pro III is a very good, if expensive headset that should outlast five or six computer systems. Hook it up to a headset adapter from FSPilotshop.com and you have a very good system.

Thanks for your input gents. I think I am going to look at the Turtle Beach set that was recommended as I have been using a Sony headset which is larger and covers the whole ear and is well padded and the pads are adjustable and extremely comfortable. I am able to wear them 15 hours or longer a day with absolutely no discomfort at all. I have a moderate hearing loss in both ears and so being able to adjust the sound to suite the hearing loss also will be a very big benefit too. I will post my thoughts after I make the purchase. Thanks again.......John

Do they make an adapter so i can use my Dave Clarks?Thanks

Ed

ASRock 2390 Phantom Gaming 4S - Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6ghz - (4.6ghz turbo) liquid cooled -32GB DDR4-3000 mhz OC - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB - 480GB SSD - 970 EVO PLUS M.2 1TB

Pilot      C152 - C172SP - PA-28-181 Archer II - Piper PA-28 Cherokee -  AOPA# 09053717

https://www.pcflyers.org/

Guest Se7en

I would steer clear of the 5.1 Headsets ... not wishing to offend current owners of them, but they simply dont work properly and if you understand how 5.1 works, they never will, not to mention FS9 or FSX does not support 5.1 in the first place as I recall.I've owned 3 sets of 5.1 Headphones or Headsets and wont be trying any more.Even 5.1 desktop speakers I've given up on, they are just too much clutter on my desk and again, they need to be separated a lot more than your average desk can do. 5.1 is great for home Cinema where the placement gives proper surround sound, but we are talking Flight sim here and probably games too.After much head scratching and research I upgraded my audio on my PC recently to a PCI-E Asus Xonar D2X, this is a big improvement over my Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer and bought the Logitech Z-2300 2.1 desktop speakers, I'd have bought the Klipsh 2.1 speakers but they are not available in the UK for love nor money :( But the Z-2300 speakers sound awesome, very pleased with them.As far as Headsets and Headphones go, you could spend a fortune, but apart from the 5.1 Headsets I've owned, I've also tried several reputable stereo Headsets and have now settled with the Sennheiser PC-350 with a soon to be added Bass mod, the microphone for communication is the best I've used and is crystal clear, also the Sennheiser HD 555 with the foam removal mod, they use the same drivers as the more expensive HD595's and sound exactly the same after this mod, these I use for Music or Movies Both are very comfortable with full ear coverage, the PC 350's are the closed type, the HD 555's are open.Everyone's mileage will vary and there are certainly better speakers and Headphones out there, but I'm over the moon with my PC audio setup now.I'd still stay clear of 5.1 Headphones and Headsets.

As far as Headsets and Headphones go, you could spend a fortune, but apart from the 5.1 Headsets I've owned, I've also tried several reputable stereo Headsets and have now settled with the Sennheiser PC-350 with a soon to be added Bass mod...
I've been a Sennheiser fan for over 15+ years, and for the cost of their products today, they are pretty hard to beat.After going through a number of various 'headsets', I finally decided to update my Sennheiser 'headphones' so I could also use them for my audio listening pleasure away from my computer without an attached mic, or, while listening to music via my computer. I simply purchased an inexpensive mic separately, and attach that to my yoke.I doubt I will use a headset again in FS, as this set-up 'kills two birds with one stone'.NewEgg has some great deals on Sennheiser units.

Guest Boeing Skunk Works

Sennheiser also makes the best dynamic studio/stage microphone in the world. The Sennheiser MD441-U. Several variation for the last digit depending on what country you are in, but they are the best of the best.They also make the best aviation headset used by more major European airlines than any other headset. The Sennheiser 46 Series. This is the top of the Top in headsets for 121 ops.The top of the line headset is still cheaper than their MD441 studio mic.A pair of these mics for the studio set me back quite a bit several years ago.The headset adapter for an aviation headset using the PJ-068 and PJ-055 plugscan be found here: http://www.fspilotshop.com/product_info.ph...products_id=273Me? I took the Telex route. I spent all of my cash on the MD441's. Besides, I couldn't find a set of Sennheiser 46's with the Lufthansa logo printed on the headband!