Sign in to follow this  
Guest Gary Buska

Library Status

WOW... slow down here guys! It was NOT in any way meant as a "shot" of any kind. I'm really sorry that it obviously came accross in a manor that was never intended. I was just surprised by the statement - nothing more. Guess it may have helped if i'd used a smiley. Then again, it might have been even better if i'd just kept my mouth shout:-)If you go back through my posts you'll see i've always tried to 'stay of trouble' and never offend or insult anyone, in any way.I'm truly sorry that you (the O/P) and any other took offence.One thing that doesn't help with stuff like this, is that I have cognitive problems which can make stringing long sentences (like this one - ha!) together very hard. Hence, I often try to get away with as few words as possible. That can, and obviously does make it very easy to be misunderstood.Still friends I hope.

Guest sambarclay

You guys are great and we do appreciate all your hard work.Thank you to each and everyone of you,Sam

Yes, thanks Gary, and the team for all the hard work that's going on behind the scenes.

Supporter.png

John

This has probably been asked before:Would it be possible to start a new library so old files in the possession of the community could be loaded and new files/content added as well. Yes, eventually after restoration, there will be duplicates and perhaps some confusion over revision levels. I would avoid the temptation to merge the new library with the recovered library. Users can search both libraries for the goodies and choose a file on the new system or an a file that is only on the recovered library.There is probably no way to predict when a full library will be recovered and what will be missing or what unforeseen problems may arise once the public gets their hands on it. A fresh start, in parallel with recovery, seems to be a way to get things going in a very short time. The downside for AVSIM is the maintenance of two libraries. That is an evaluation they will have to make.

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Guest Styx007

Let's just all have a little paitence. I have good faith in the team at AvSim. They have done an extreamly well job in the past. There's no point in crying over spilled milk. I have enjoyed the use of AvSim for many years as well and now with the downtime, I have decided to get my butt involved as well and start designing and learing GMAX and creating scenery objects. This has created an oportunity for all of us to do our part, by contributing our talents re-building what I see as a wonderful great community of simmers, all enjoying a very rewarding hobby. As I get my self deeper into the designing end of things, I find myself really appreciating all the tremendously hard work and time that so many have put into this hobby.I just hope everyone keeps up the good work and does not get discouraged by what has happened.Happy Simming everyone! :( Looking forward to uploading my own creations....With the greatly appreciated help of such wonderful designers Sidney Schwartz, Len Hickmen, Lou Frost, Arno, and the list goes on endlessly.See you in the library soon!Michael ChaceNew Mexico, USA

Let's just all have a little paitence. I have good faith in the team at AvSim. They have done an extreamly well job in the past. There's no point in crying over spilled milk. I'll second that.This is my first post to the forum. A year ago, my own hard drive crashed. I gave money to a company that was still unable to recover anything, which included materials I used to create scenery, which years ago, I uploaded to Avsim. These things happen. Dissapointed? Sure. Who isn't? But I'm not angry at anyone, except the guy that hacked the system.

Guest Frank173

I have areply. Kiss my &@($*. I have patiencly waited for the library to come back and no. You know what I think it is......money....the pay for this site are all on line and working fine. Money, money, money...... Avsim....you have my last dime. And all you little kiss asses are a bunch of punks. And you little kiss asses keep blowing smoke all you want, money is the key. Oh, Avsim this and Avsim that....ya. da, ya. da. ya da. action speaks LOUDER than words. Maybe you guys (Avsim) should go to Capitol Hill....seem to have a pretty good following......reminds me of WW2......say what the people want to hear and they will follow....like pigs to slaughter. I know this will ###### off a lot of people....but so what, life goes on. Get a grip....this is not the life........ get a job and contribute to society or keep posting your ** to increase your posts. " Get A Life"

Guest Christopher_D
A year ago, my own hard drive crashed. I gave money to a company that was still unable to recover anything, which included materials I used to create scenery, which years ago, I uploaded to Avsim. These things happen. Dissapointed? Sure. Who isn't? But I'm not angry at anyone, except the guy that hacked the system.
I almost made that mistake a few months ago due to my own stupidity. I'd like to share a related story about data loss that the readers here might find funny, but at the same time learn the value of backing up data at home:When your PC crashes at 3 am and you have not had any sleep, never try to reinstall Windows LOL. Without paying attention I literally deleted my data hard drive (which contained my Documents and - more importantly - my photography!!!) -- Over 1 TB of data "lost". I took it to best buy to the "Geek Squad" and the guy told me they could recover the data for $100 USD. Naturally I was desperate for my Photography to come back so I told him I would pay the $100 USD if he could recover it. The guy took it to the back and less than a minute later came back and said -- and I am not kidding here -- "Well, it looks like there's no damage to the hard drive. You used to have a partition on there, but it's been deleted." About this point I had to pick my jaw up from the store floor from the disbelief. Does anyone else here see just what happened? All I could think was, "Really??? Uhm, did you get what I told you as I requested -- uhm -- DATA RECOVERY?"Even better -- at this point the guy says, "Well I can't recover the data -- it's beyond our store level of expertise. I can send it to Tier 2 who can recover the data for $2,000." WOW! Holy mother of Boeings! You guys want 2 grand to recover data? I didn't have that, so I went home, hopped on one of my other PC's, downloaded and purchased a license to a data recovery program and thought, "What have I got to lose?"2 days later -- I had 98% of my data recovered, including ALL of my photography. I lost 2%, but the stuff I lost was easily replaceable. My photography wasn't, so I was happy to have that all back. Cost of the data recovery program? Hmm. A TAD less than 2 grand -- it was $80.00 USD.I now back up my photography and documents on an external TB hard drive, a Windows Home Server, and also on my wife's computer for kicks. Never again do I want to face that pain.AVSIM -- Good luck on your recovery. I about cried (wait, I think I DID cry at some point) during that mess and it was only a TB of photography at stake. I could only imagine the stress of losing the tons of files that you guys hosted. I feel your pain and am glad the only hacking I encounter is my 5 cats walking on my keyboard when I go to get a drink during a flight (something about engine sounds fascinates the cute little fur balls).

I have areply. Kiss my &@($*. I have patiencly waited for the library to come back and no. You know what I think it is......money....the pay for this site are all on line and working fine. Money, money, money...... Avsim....you have my last dime. And all you little kiss asses are a bunch of punks. And you little kiss asses keep blowing smoke all you want, money is the key. Oh, Avsim this and Avsim that....ya. da, ya. da. ya da. action speaks LOUDER than words. Maybe you guys (Avsim) should go to Capitol Hill....seem to have a pretty good following......reminds me of WW2......say what the people want to hear and they will follow....like pigs to slaughter. I know this will ###### off a lot of people....but so what, life goes on. Get a grip....this is not the life........ get a job and contribute to society or keep posting your ** to increase your posts. " Get A Life"
Well, that was one of the most intelligent and well thought out posts that I have ever read on the forums. Accusing us of misleading and defrauding the community and your infantile rant, have succeeded in getting you banned. But you knew that would happen, right? To everyone else... We HOPE (I want to emphasize that --- HOPE!!!) to have the library back online this weekend. But, that is going to depend upon a lot of things, not the least of which is personal availability and their time. We'll post more as we learn more.

Good heavens!I am beginning worry at the sheer amount of anger there seems to be amongst flight simmers.Forum posts(not just here at Avsim ) that start with perfectly reasonable questions degenerate into mud slinging and name calling by post ten why is this?.Why are we such an angry bunch?I would like to think we are all a fairly intelligent crew (FS is not after all not mega slaughter six with added zombies..it requires brain power,thought,time and patience that's why its so bloomin good)perhaps we are all frustrated fighter pilots.anyway chill open a beer but some advice...... posting in any forum after a long session of bashing the amber nectar is most defiantly a dodgy business.I should know GUILTY as charged your Honour,but in my case its usually radio shows that get the brunt of my alcohol fuelled "insights" not the sim forums.Anyway peace and love to all aviators real or virtual. OMM OMM ps How is the library going.Just jokingReallyJust jokingAndy :(

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

To everyone else... We HOPE (I want to emphasize that --- HOPE!!!) to have the library back online this weekend. But, that is going to depend upon a lot of things, not the least of which is personal availability and their time. We'll post more as we learn more.
Wow! That's really good news. I know - it's just hope. But it's awesome news anyways :-)

You think your servers can handle the insane amount of attention this site will get when it's up? :(

I know I am truly looking forward to the day I sign in to AVSIM and read the headline that the library is back up. That will be a good day, indeed. :(

You think your servers can handle the insane amount of attention this site will get when it's up? :(
The servers can handle the load. It is the bandwidth I am worried about.