Sign in to follow this  
3-2-1-Now

J41 Engine Control/Sounds

Hi,My question is in two parts:1) Does the sim solve the problem of the engines getting stuck for a moment at high RPM after the throttles were retarded to idle? On some turboprop aircraft for FS, you can be waiting up to a minute for the engines to react after being at cruise power for a while. The Flight1 ATR almost fixed this, but it too suffers if you leave the levers at full power for a 30 minutes in the cruise (if you pull them back a minute after setting full power, it doesn't exhibit this behavior).2) How close to reality do the sounds, err, sound? When you go into the beta range, can you really hear it? Are the prop sounds independent from the turbine sounds for example?I'm particularly interested in #1 - it is a real PITA when it occurs.Best regards,Robin.

The condition lever controls the RPM, and the control response is realistically coupled. A big difference is the Garretts are geared as opposed to the PT6 PWs that are free turbines, which the wizards seemed to have captured very well.

Dan Downs KCRP

Robin,Like Dan says, the wizards at PMDG seem to have captured the function of the Garrett turbines very well. There's no RPM lag because the props operate in a very narrow RPM range (the flight range is 96% - 100% of max RPM), and taxi is performed at 72%. After rollout, you pull the condition levers out of the flight range to taxi RPM and that's what the engines do. Prompt response.The sounds are so good you can synchronize the props by sound. Part of the process on startup is to release the start locks by moving the prop levers into the beta range, and there is a marked difference in the sound as you do this.

Best Regards,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

Pinner, Middx, UK

Beta tester for PMDG J41, NGX, and GFO, Flight1 Super King Air B200, Flight1 Cessna Citation Mustang, Flight1 Cessna 182, Flight1 Cessna 177B, Aeroworx B200

Might have to get used to this Garrett. Sounds quite different than the Garrett super 6 engines I used to fly. On them, the condition levers qere used for only one thing, shutting down the engine in an emergency. The props were taken off the locks by placing the power levers in reverse slightly.

The sounds are so good you can synchronize the props by sound.
Fantastic!! :( Best regards,Robin.

Yeah, these engines are WAY different than anything most of you have seen - it certainly took me by surprise when RSR described it to me. With the thrust levers you're actual controlling prop-pitch - this has the pretty neat effect of giving you almost instantaneous power on demand - there's no spool up because the turbine is essentially spooled up all the time and stays there.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Interesting - have a look at the engine section on SmartCockpit for the J41.Can anyone clarify what the BETA RANGE is? I thought it was the range below the flight idle stop?Best regards,Robin.

Guest BlueRidgeDx
Yeah, these engines are WAY different than anything most of you have seen - it certainly took me by surprise when RSR described it to me. With the thrust levers you're actual controlling prop-pitch - this has the pretty neat effect of giving you almost instantaneous power on demand - there's no spool up because the turbine is essentially spooled up all the time and stays there.
Power lever movement controls prop pitch directly only in the Beta mode. Even then, Power lever movement still (also) controls engine RPM assuming the Condition levers are in TAXI.Otherwise, in PG mode (forward of flight idle) the Power levers control fuel flow, and the blade angle is independently and automatically controlled to balance engine load and maintain a constant engine RPM. It's a very complex relationship.Robin, to answer your question, yes, the Beta range is anything aft of Flight Idle.Nick

Hi,It will be great to have a sound demo....thanks and regardsL'maire

Real Deraps

Hi L'maire,The sound system is still not complete but as soon as i'm happy with it i'll put up a demo - typically for FSX alot of work goes into the 360 degree surround sound programming per sound file, so whatever viewpoint angle you look at the aircraft it will give you a different sound experience. So far we're up to 13 sounds per engine per view so there are 52 sounds just for the engines and their corresponding surround sound programming! Props are alot more work than jets - not only do you have to programme the sounds made by the engines but seperately the sounds of the propellors in different prop angle configurations per view point angle .... the good news is im almost finished! :)Cheers,Armen

Boeing777_Banner_DevTeam.jpg

Armen L Cholakian
PMDG Sound Engineer

Wow, looking forward to hear all those sounds....thanks for fast reply and keep going.L'maire

Real Deraps

Robin, to answer your question, yes, the Beta range is anything aft of Flight Idle.
Hi Nick,Thanks.Best regards,Robin.

Very interesting!

So far we're up to 13 sounds per engine per view so there are 52 sounds just for the engines and their corresponding surround sound programming!
I think I have no idea of all the work it has taken to make this airplane. Unbelievable. Posts like this make me wanna pay a lot more ;-)