Sign in to follow this  
Benjamin J

I am baffled: CS727

I don't know of anyone who is expecting the Dreamfleet 727 at this point. I owned both Captain Sim's and Dreamfleet's. Right now I have the Captain Sim 727 and (probably no surprise) I love it. Definitely old school for a change of pace.

Guest Chunt16307
When I landed with the CS727 first time, I noticed how the speed just kept dropping, until it stopped when throttle was maxed. From that point on, it was absolutely clear you need full throttle to land this plane with 40 degrees flaps.By the way, it is stated somewhere on the Dreamfleet page that the 727 is being ported over to FSX, but it doesn't say anywhere how far the project is along and when they might release it. Conclusion: don't hold you breath. I think that, for now, the CS727 is a more than able replacement, which is fun to fly and not even *that* hard on my frames. Plus, I just love to sit in the cabin and look around at those times that everything just "flies".
I have been checking back at Dreamfleet just in case but the last I saw from them on the subject is over a year old. I think they have tossed in the towel on the whole FSX arena.On your landing with the CS model? What was the gross weight you landed at? Flap 40 and full throttle shouldn't be. I haven't ruled out the CS model yet but if you had to do that I surely won't be interested at all.Thanks againChuck H

If you don't get behind the curve you do not need full throttle. I think that is a reaction to dropping like a stone when you don't come in throttled up enough, especially with full flaps. From my reading, I think Captain Sim got it more right than wrong.1965-1966 four crashes in six months due to pilots not being sufficiently aware of this characteristic.TWA blocked Flaps 40 because it exacerbated the problem.Dreamfleet made a very nice 727. How it compares to Captain Sim's newer FSX model is something I don't know and is a moot issue for me. You get the Cougar livery with the freight model, which is one of my all-time favorites, because I have the airplane-geek video that featured flights from that company when there were doing passenger flights :-)

Guest Chunt16307
If you don't get behind the curve you do not need full throttle. I think that is a reaction to dropping like a stone when you don't come in throttled up enough, especially with full flaps. From my reading, I think Captain Sim got it more right than wrong.1965-1966 four crashes in six months due to pilots not being sufficiently aware of this characteristic.TWA blocked Flaps 40 because it exacerbated the problem.Dreamfleet made a very nice 727. How it compares to Captain Sim's newer FSX model is something I don't know and is a moot issue for me. You get the Cougar livery with the freight model, which is one of my all-time favorites, because I have the airplane-geek video that featured flights from that company when there were doing passenger flights :-)
I have that dvd also!! Lots of good scenes featuring the approaches. From one geek to another, thanks for you replies.Chuck H

I seem to remember reading about the issue with excessive flap settings a long time ago. I'm more inclined to say everything did what it was supposed to do except for the See, I was just goofing around and watching the flap animation from spot view and before I could get back into the cockpit I was severely behind the curve. The light should have come on in my head reminding me that I was getting more drag than lift. It's time to get back to the books before I fly this one again.

Keith Guillory

Tim, any idea where i can get a tutorial for the CS 727?

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

Ha ha ha, "Captain Sim" and "tutorial" in the same sentence. I don't know of any, although their documentation is good. No substitute for a good tutorial, which has been my biggest beef with them all along. I quickly scanned the 727 forum and didn't see anything. I bet there is something on YouTube that would at least cover starting. After that it isn't that hard to fly if you are up on your radio navigation. There is a basic autopilot that requires some getting used to, especially without the 2D pop-up because every time I tried to move the control up or down it would turn until I learned the trick of just moving straight up and down no matter what the angle.But yeah, I wish they did tutorials.I have been flying the H out of the 767 (another Delta Flight 64 KATL - UUEE tonight with my Easy Fuel Planning method that is looking to come up about 300 miles short LOL) All this 727 talk is making me want to take some short old-school hops. I love the old bird, and the Coolsky's Classic MD-80, too.

If you have the DF727, you can use that tutorial, I guess. I mean, in principal it's the same aircraft, right? So not everything will be the same, but a great portion should be, otherwise CS didn't do their job correctly.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case