Sign in to follow this  
shizzlmizzl

Glideslope problem

Hello together.I reinstalled FSX on my computer about a month ago. Since then the Glideslope never wants to work correctly. Sometimes it works fine but most of the time it has problems. Capturing the Localizer and the Glideslope are no problem, but at about 500 feet the glide slope needle suddenly goes down. The aircraft folloows the GS and starts to bank down. Usually it then crash lands a few hundred feets from the runway. I have this problem with the standard FSX airports and addon scenery. I reinstalled FSX a few days ago, but it didnt help...Does anyone have any suggestions on this problem?Thanks for all replysGreets shizlmizl

Does anyone have any suggestions on this problem?
Yes. Disconnect the AP before that point...Unless the equipment at the apt. supports it, the glideslope will not provide accurate guidance all the way to the runway. You should be disconnecting the AP at your DH (Decision Height) point.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Yes. Disconnect the AP before that point...Unless the equipment at the apt. supports it, the glideslope will not provide accurate guidance all the way to the runway. You should be disconnecting the AP at your DH (Decision Height) point.
I know what you mean but on FSX the Glideslope should be accurate. I would also like to use the Autoland function on some of the Airplanes... This problem is not normal, and the Glideslope should be correct at Major Airports like YSSY, EDDF or DNMM. In my eyes this is a bug because it doesnt happen everytime.

I know what you mean but on FSX the Glideslope should be accurate. I would also like to use the Autoland function on some of the Airplanes... This problem is not normal, and the Glideslope should be correct at Major Airports like YSSY, EDDF or DNMM. In my eyes this is a bug because it doesnt happen everytime.
If your GS needle suddenly drops then your plane could have encountered thermal effects off the end of the runway ( many runways in FSX has this enabled by default). Uncheck or check (can't remember which) in the display settings menu the thermal effects checkmark.

If it works correctly even some of the time then it is NOT a fault with the glideslope or installation of FSX it is either operator error or else some other introduced factor. The obvious ones are thermals as stated, which can introduce some rather overstated vortex and turbulence effects or localised weather problems where you cross reporting station thresholds and induce some rather unpleasant surges in ambient pressure which can cause strange responses from the autopilot.Both induced errors are easily corrected by simply checking or unchecking boxes or setting a weather theme or NOT using whatever you are using for weather generation.One other thing: AFAIK no FSX default aircraft are fitted with autoland... the advice given above is therefore correct. To perform the landing function correctly you should disable a/p at DH or greater and hand-fly to touchdown. I believe some addon tubes offer the added functionality but I don't care which ones myself.

Hello together.I reinstalled FSX on my computer about a month ago. Since then the Glideslope never wants to work correctly. Sometimes it works fine but most of the time it has problems. Capturing the Localizer and the Glideslope are no problem, but at about 500 feet the glide slope needle suddenly goes down. The aircraft folloows the GS and starts to bank down. Usually it then crash lands a few hundred feets from the runway. I have this problem with the standard FSX airports and addon scenery. I reinstalled FSX a few days ago, but it didnt help...Does anyone have any suggestions on this problem?Thanks for all replysGreets shizlmizl
I know what you mean. I get the same problem. It's very frustrating when you do a perfect flight and then not able to use the glide slope. It happens to me approximately 50% of the time, then I have to quickly turn the autopilot off and take over manually. Not very realistic when your in a heavy. :roll eyes:

fdc_pfe_supporter.jpg

Guest CryogenicPilot

A lot of the default airports in FSX have badly aligned (sloped?) G/S and Localizers.KSEA is a perfect example of a messed up G/S.If you are setup on approach for RWY 34R... About 500FT above the runway threshold the G/S indicator lobe just DROPS, and you MUST take control of the plane, or crash. This is a good example of a messed up G/S because the DH(Decision Height) is 200FT AGL according to real world approach charts. So, if you don't know about KSEA's bad G/S, you won't be ready to disengage the AP and hand fly the final approach sooner (500FT) than later (200FT).Other airports suffer misaligned Localizers that bring you down a few hundred feet ALONGSIDE the runway and not on it. A majority of them aren't properly aligned with the center line in many instances, either. If using autoland (PMDG, Level-D) they bring you down just right, or left of the center line sometimes.The good news is some of the bad G/S and Localizers can be fixed with third-party AFCAD files available on the AVSIM library :(

Thx for all the replys.@snaveYes default FSX aircraft dont have autoland functions, but addon aircrafts do...I understand what you mean, but there weren't any turbulences, gusts or similar things... The GS needle just went down and the AP followed it... The GS gided the plane down way to early and the aircraft crashlanded...Somehow, switching off thermal effects seems to work. I landed 3 times without problems....@CryogenicPilotSadly this problem also occurs with add on sceneries...

Ok, what airport is it at and which runway? I will try a coupled approach on my system

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Hmmm, I went to that DNMM airport, and it didn't have 18l, only 19L. So I used that approach. First off, the ILS course seems to be incorrect. I was off center during the entire approach as you can see (even though the localizer needle was centered). However, it did capture and track the GS down to minimums. But it appears that the autopilot lost it right at about 200-300 ft AGL, as the picture describes. So, something is funky with that approach imho.dnmm.jpgAt Sydney, the localizer heading was better, and it track inbound on both that and the GS pretty well - until the point pictured on my screenshot... It lost the GS and porpoised up as if it didn't exist. I was above minimums on this approach so I am seeing some strange behavior like you described.... yssy.jpg

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Hmmm, I went to that DNMM airport, and it didn't have 18l, only 19L. So I used that approach. First off, the ILS course seems to be incorrect. I was off center during the entire approach as you can see (even though the localizer needle was centered). However, it did capture and track the GS down to minimums. But it appears that the autopilot lost it right at about 200-300 ft AGL, as the picture describes. So, something is funky with that approach imho.At Sydney, the localizer heading was better, and it track inbound on both that and the GS pretty well - until the point pictured on my screenshot... It lost the GS and porpoised up as if it didn't exist. I was above minimums on this approach so I am seeing some strange behavior like you described....
Hm ok thatd about the same problem what i have. At DNMM i didnt have any problems with the Localizer only with the GS. I use add on scenerys for YSSY and DNMM...