Sign in to follow this  
G-YMML1

FS2004 weather generator: ASA vs. AS6.5

Thanks Neil!I am watching this thread, but will not be participating in it!!

Okaaay... So maybe ASA after all? I gotta think... They both seem to have their merits-ASA has more features, but seems less stable, plus it works with FS9 and FSX (important point for me!);-AS6 has less features and only works for FS9, I see, but is proven to be good and is very stable.I'll have to think. I might wait for another update to ASA and see how it fixes stuff up. I won't get any of the two anytime soon, anyway, so I have time. Been a very interesting thread though, very useful, that's for sure!

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

Okaaay... So maybe ASA after all? I gotta think... They both seem to have their merits-ASA has more features, but seems less stable, plus it works with FS9 and FSX (important point for me!);-AS6 has less features and only works for FS9, I see, but is proven to be good and is very stable.I'll have to think. I might wait for another update to ASA and see how it fixes stuff up. I won't get any of the two anytime soon, anyway, so I have time. Been a very interesting thread though, very useful, that's for sure!
Hello AS 6.5 works great with FSX , absolutely no problems.

May I have a question related to visibility depiction at low levels regarding the two versions?What I would like to know is how METAR visibility values are interpreted in AS6.5 and ASA? Usually US metars give a 10 sm visibility rating in CAVOK weather which actually means 'at least 10sm' visibility but most of the times vis is much better up to 30 sm depending on smog and other atmospheric conditions. I find it to be a mistake to render it as 10 SM which is almost a milklike haze in FS. So the question is: what are 10sm US metar readings depicted as in AS6.5 and ASA? FS default weather actually depicts these as 50 sm which is way better to what the REX weather engine did by depicting a 10 sm metar reading as 10 sm visibility in the sim.What about CAVOK depiction in Europe?Thank you for your answers,Alex

AS6.5 works "great" in FS9 and FSX!

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

What about CAVOK depiction in Europe?Thank you for your answers,Alex
In Europe aka ICAO territory!!!! We use both CAVOK and 9999 which mean:"Provided the visibility is >= 10 km, AND the height of the lowest cloud (any amount) is >=5000 ft (or highest minimum sector altitude) AND there are no cumulonimbus clouds (CB, any height) within sight AND there is no significant weather, then the visibility and cloud part of the standard METAR is replaced by CAVOK (say "cav-oh-kay": 'Ceiling And Visibility OK'). (not used by certain countries, e.g. the United States)"The problem in the sim and with all weather engines as far as I know is that said METAR with CAVOK or 9999 is translated as clear skies which of course isn't true. However there is a fix called fs9-9999fix-91.zip which can be found here Search for FS2004 Metar visibility fix (about halfway).So now cavok/9999 is properly displayed at all times.Vololiberista

AS 6.5 has worked very well for me in FS9. Regarding clouds it has the option of placing high stratus clouds in clear conditions.If you use the included graphics generator you just set up your themes for weather dependent.

AS 6.5 has worked very well for me in FS9. Regarding clouds it has the option of placing high stratus clouds in clear conditions.If you use the included graphics generator you just set up your themes for weather dependent.
High stratus are not always visible in CAVOK. I prefer a weather engine that correctly interprets the METAR instead of "themes".Vololiberista

I was one of the first users of ASA, but I went back to AS6.5. The cloud-scapes of ASA are beautiful without doubt. But when I started to compare the FS cloud-scapes generated by ASA and AS65.5 with the real world, which you can find on several weathercams in the internet, I found out that AS6.5 was much more precise. I got almost the same picture in the sim as on the weathercams and that is what counts for me.Hans W.

HelloI have purchased all of the HifiSim weather engines since ACTIVESKY 2004 through to ASX and ASAI am now back on AS 6.5 and see no reason to use ASA, 6.5 works well for me.It is quicker to get the weather into the Sim and uses less resources.I also use FSmeteo 8.0 and it works fine and uses even less resources.

May I have a question related to visibility depiction at low levels regarding the two versions?What I would like to know is how METAR visibility values are interpreted in AS6.5 and ASA? Usually US metars give a 10 sm visibility rating in CAVOK weather which actually means 'at least 10sm' visibility but most of the times vis is much better up to 30 sm depending on smog and other atmospheric conditions. I find it to be a mistake to render it as 10 SM which is almost a milklike haze in FS. So the question is: what are 10sm US metar readings depicted as in AS6.5 and ASA? FS default weather actually depicts these as 50 sm which is way better to what the REX weather engine did by depicting a 10 sm metar reading as 10 sm visibility in the sim.What about CAVOK depiction in Europe?Thank you for your answers,Alex
Thanks for all the answers - I am still waiting for someone who actually answers my questions above. Is US 10 sm depicted as 10sm or something else. Thank you,Alex

Thanks for all the answers - I am still waiting for someone who actually answers my questions above. Is US 10 sm depicted as 10sm or something else. Thank you,Alex
Alex,Here are two photos using the same location and metar...one is wtih AS6.5 and the other with ASA. You can see the METAR in the green band at the top of the first photo. Hopefully, this answers your question. Thanks!AS6.5ASA

10 sm is not used outside the USA. In fact almost everything regarding aviation is different outside America!!!!! CAVOK or 9999 is equal to 10 kilometres or more!Vololiberista

And using any HiFi weather product, 10SM is depicted correctly. Now, if an individual user wants to further modify the "look" of this, there are options in all our products to reduce the maximum visibility to add some distant haze.

Like them both, but pretty much use ASA all the time. FS9 user
Can AS6.5 be used with FSX ???Golli