Sign in to follow this  
KeithyGeorge

FMC - Is it worth it?

I like to program everything into the FMC but handfly to cruise including throttles!Get to cruise, enable A/T and A/PAt TOD or 40nm from TOD disconnect A/P and A/T and handfly to landing - just keep an eye on the speed restrictions and following the FD (Flight Director) for your cues.Graham

It is worth it! I personally enjoy programming it and then monitoring the systems as the plane flies itself. I usually engage the autopilot at about 1000 feet and disengage it at 2500 feet on final.Andrew

Guest PPSFA
There are so many things I have learned to do in FSMS and know my way around like anyone should who has flown flightsim for many years. Even though I own complex aircraft, I never disciplined myself to sit down and force myself to learn how to program an FMC. I am not stupid, at least I don't think I am, for I can do some trick things in this hobby, but everytime I sit down to try to learn it, it just does not go past the first page before I give up in disgust.I wish there was someone locally (there isn't) who I could watch set up an FMC a few times and I am sure I would be on my way. I guess there is no easy way to do this. I will just have to set aside a block of time, get out my manual and begin once again. The thought even brings dread of the drudgery of slugging through it once again without success. I think I would rather practise doing my income taxes or beating myself with a pain stick just for fun. I can't understand why its so hard to get started for I am very detail orientated and known for my precision in much more important matters than this. Nuts!Stephen
The absolute easiest way is to have someone in FSX show you, that will save you HOURS of not having to wade through the useless info to get to what you need to get the FMC working. There are also many different levels of FMC's available, depending on the developer. The simplist and my all time favorite plane is the EagleSoft CJ1. You put in your fuel, passengers, and go fly, it's just that simple :( Of course you dont learn much but it's a heck of a lot of fun!Regarding the fully functional FMC's, they have so many functions that even real world pilots dont know all the features or even have a reason to use a lot of the advanced functions. Personally I hate the darn things but I decided to master them just because of that. Howver I do not use the SIDS, STARS, manually program routes, or all the other stuff they can do. I simply input the planes data, import a flight plan, select a destination runway, and go fly. Once you get those basics, you can get up and running in just a few minutes. I found that most manuals are so tedious and confusing that now I don't bother to look at them, because most FMC's are very similiar and it doesnt take long to figure out a new one.

Well, I have an opposite opinion.Jeff ShylukSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM
LOL Great post!!! :( And I agree. I've had my share of FMC's/MCDU's/whatever and I kind of liked to learn how they worked because I like to learn how things work (and I love thick manuals), but after that it quickly becomes boring... a tedious chore... something you have to go through everytime before you can give full throttle. My last big plane was the MD11 and in the end you are putting the exact same data into the MCDU every single time. Boooooooring. I rather fly a GA, as simple as the C182RG, where going from dark and cold cockpit to ready to fly takes about a minute. Or less. I like C&A cockpits and setting things up in a realistic way, but in the end I bought FSX because I WANT TO FLY!!!That being said... when a new and advanced Airbus will be released, I wouldn't be surprised if I would buy it, read the manuals. learn how to setup the FMC and all that... and return to GA again after I know how it all works. Because when I know all there is to know I simply want to fly and look out of the window to enjoy the scenery and GA's are absolutely great for that!So is it worth it? Yes and no. It all depends on what you want and like. As usual... :(

Thank you Jeff and Jerden for your replies.Even though I TOTALLY do not agree with your views as per my previous reply, your commens are appreciated by me to this thread. I always like to see an opposing view or two as this adds to the credibility of the issue in question. I kind of hate mutual admiration societies.However, IMHO, long live FMC's!Respectfully:RTH

Umm, the current CJ1 FMS operates as an interface to the default FS GPS System and default Flight Plan System so is not really an FMS.The upcoming CJ1+ contains a full blown rendition of the Universal UNS1 FMS.The current CX2.0 contains a full blown Honeywell Primus FMS as built real world for the CX 750.All FMS's can be learned rather quickly if you break down their function into blocks.Example from the CX2.0 is that it breaks down into five different blocks which are learned rather quickly.Keep in mind that FMS NAV Guidance Systems preceed GPS Guidance Systems but are quite reliable and are very handy tools for real world aviation.Think in terms of blocks when you look at an FMS and it will soon be easy to understand the concepts involved. :(

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Guest PPSFA
Umm, the current CJ1 FMS operates as an interface to the default FS GPS System and default Flight Plan System so is not really an FMS.
Which is exactly why I like it, I hate programming the durn things ! :(

FMC is like American Express. Don't leave home without it Oh and JP thanks for the link.!!

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

If you find that you are always entering the same data into the FMC, you are clearly not using it right, or you fly with the same payload all the time.If you want a simple, yet very useful tool, try TOPCAT, and it will help you generate payloads for the PMDG, LEVEL D, and a few other add-on aircraft, and help you calculate the TO Performance data, and you will find you will rarely be entering the same data all the time. Especially in the PMDG 744, when you have three different TO settings, two flap settings, plus assumed temp de-rated thrust, it all depends on the weather, the runway lenght, and runway condition. I almost never am just using the same settings.Plus mix in a program like Advanced Sky, where you will know what the wind conditions are going to be enroute, you can enter that information in the FMC and get very accurate fuel burn estimates, which comes in very handy when planning out your approach, landing wt, how much autobrake you are going to need, etc.If you use PMDG, or Level D, and use the FMC, I cannot recommend enough TOPCAT. It is a great program, and all the updates are free.

Scott Kalin VATSIM #1125397 - KPSP Palm Springs International Airport
Space Shuttle (SSMS2007) http://www.space-shu....com/index.html
Orbiter 2010P1 http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/

Guest firehawk44
If you find that you are always entering the same data into the FMC, you are clearly not using it right, or you fly with the same payload all the time.If you want a simple, yet very useful tool, try TOPCAT, and it will help you generate payloads for the PMDG, LEVEL D, and a few other add-on aircraft, and help you calculate the TO Performance data, and you will find you will rarely be entering the same data all the time. Especially in the PMDG 744, when you have three different TO settings, two flap settings, plus assumed temp de-rated thrust, it all depends on the weather, the runway lenght, and runway condition. I almost never am just using the same settings.Plus mix in a program like Advanced Sky, where you will know what the wind conditions are going to be enroute, you can enter that information in the FMC and get very accurate fuel burn estimates, which comes in very handy when planning out your approach, landing wt, how much autobrake you are going to need, etc.If you use PMDG, or Level D, and use the FMC, I cannot recommend enough TOPCAT. It is a great program, and all the updates are free.
This type of FMC programming is obviously for "experts" like you or for people who spend countless hours learning the intricate ins and outs of the FMS, the fuel systems, the electrical systems, and weights and balances. I personally do not enjoy going to that depth of realism with a $70 - $2000 sim (depending on the number of commercial addons). Congratulations to you for learning and using the advanced programming features of some of the great addons like PMDG, Level D, and maybe even Wilco and Captain Sim. I am envious but I really enjoy staying with the basics as that alone can sometimes be overwhelming to many, like me. For someone learning the FMC like the OP, it is best he stay with the basics and, the nice thing with FSX, he can expand his knowledge as much as he likes.Best regards,Jim

Guest hmstiger
It's worth learning. I can have a flight set up in less than 5 minutes using FS Build to generate a flight plan - and that's entering the route by hand. I'm not adding winds aloft data, but the basics don't take much time.

I recently purchased TOPCAT and now wonder how I flew without it! For me part of the reason I enjoy flying using FMCs is that the amount of time I have to use FSX is limited. Flying long hauls using the FMC lets me fly and also take care of things in real life. Just yesterday I took off from LAX to PHNL and left the house to go run some errands. When I came back the sim was paused 20 miles before the descent ready for me to return.Andrew

I like the random payload idea. I use random on calculator and multiply that by the max number of passengers plus one. This I enter into FSPassengers and the weight in the FMC etc. I use UTOPIA for derated takeoffs. I think FMC's really shine when using them for VNAV, trim, etc etc.However, lately I've been getting impatient with less than perfect FMC's. So I just turn it off and fly using radio nav and INS. :) I've noticed the less name brand the FMC the more irritating it is. PMDG and Level D FMC's are good and work the way you'd expect. Still, it's alot of fun to eyeball an approach from TOD and fly it by hand. I've gotten amazing good at that. Well, except for a moment of disorientation trying to descend into TIST. Ooops. Hey, everyone survived.Enjoy!

This type of FMC programming is obviously for "experts" like you or for people who spend countless hours learning the intricate ins and outs of the FMS, the fuel systems, the electrical systems, and weights and balances. I personally do not enjoy going to that depth of realism with a $70 - $2000 sim (depending on the number of commercial addons). Congratulations to you for learning and using the advanced programming features of some of the great addons like PMDG, Level D, and maybe even Wilco and Captain Sim. I am envious but I really enjoy staying with the basics as that alone can sometimes be overwhelming to many, like me. For someone learning the FMC like the OP, it is best he stay with the basics and, the nice thing with FSX, he can expand his knowledge as much as he likes.Best regards,Jim
Jim, would getting the AOA Level D 767 training DVD apply to the FSX version and teach what is needed or is it pretty much FS9 specific? Can it teach what is needed to be know? Did you learn the systems this way.? Do the teaching methods work?Stephen :(