Sign in to follow this  
Guest GPISteve

Radar Contact and hardware issue with keyboard commands

Guest GPISteve

Hello,I recently installed rc4 and have various open cockpits, goflight and vr insight hardware modules.My problem is the default keyboard commands are conflicting with either the mcp and efis from open cockpits or the cdu from vrinsight.I press the numberpad on the cdu for example and it also sends commands to rc4. The mcp heading only works anti clockwise and i cant set altimeter on efis.I am using pmdg 737-800 and fs9. If i stop rc4 and restart fs everything works flawless as it did before i installed.I know its a conflict with the key assignments in rc4 but when i tried to change them it made other things act weird like pressing something else on the mcp would affect rc4.I dont know what keyboard commands are safe to assign radar contact without conflicting with my other hardware/software.Has anyone else had the same problem and can anyone help. Thanks.

Hello,I recently installed rc4 and have various open cockpits, goflight and vr insight hardware modules.My problem is the default keyboard commands are conflicting with either the mcp and efis from open cockpits or the cdu from vrinsight.I press the numberpad on the cdu for example and it also sends commands to rc4. The mcp heading only works anti clockwise and i cant set altimeter on efis.I am using pmdg 737-800 and fs9. If i stop rc4 and restart fs everything works flawless as it did before i installed.I know its a conflict with the key assignments in rc4 but when i tried to change them it made other things act weird like pressing something else on the mcp would affect rc4.I dont know what keyboard commands are safe to assign radar contact without conflicting with my other hardware/software.Has anyone else had the same problem and can anyone help. Thanks.
from an rc perspective, it can accept any keyboard keys, except the numeric keypad. you may have to write down on paper what each piece of hardware, each piece of software uses as far as keys go, and manually eyeball it, to make sure there are no overlapping keys.

Guest GPISteve
from an rc perspective, it can accept any keyboard keys, except the numeric keypad. you may have to write down on paper what each piece of hardware, each piece of software uses as far as keys go, and manually eyeball it, to make sure there are no overlapping keys.
That was what i feared. I'll have to get my head down and go through everything, I must have 8 or 10 free key assignments somewhere. I hoped there was a magic answer which would sove my problem quickly because from 1st impressions this seems like a great peice of software. Ah well i'll work it out and report back soon.

That was what i feared. I'll have to get my head down and go through everything, I must have 8 or 10 free key assignments somewhere. I hoped there was a magic answer which would sove my problem quickly because from 1st impressions this seems like a great peice of software. Ah well i'll work it out and report back soon.
i think your first impression is spot on :-)but key conflicts between several software and hardware components isn't really a negative on rc is it? at least rc allows you to change every key assignment.jd

I use the PMDG 737NGs. I program the FMC after weather is settled down turning off the FMC keyboard capture then start RC. I also use the default view select hot keys in the PMDG, all letters, without RC conflicts. The keys I use for RC are 0 through 9 plus =. I use the = sign for RC repeat command instead of the slash.Once RC has started I mouse all of my PMDG FMC scratchpad entries.I have disabled any FS single hot keys except just a few letter letter and punctuation keys. Be sure you disable those in FS slew mode as well. Any single number PMDG key assignments have been unassigned. Remember that PMDG and FS functions can be assigned to buttons on a joystick/yoke/throttle. Not related to RC but in both the PMDG key assignments and FS (using a fully registered FSUIPC) I set up a combination of Ctrl plus the (not numeric keypad) left, down, and right arrows for pushback tail left, straight, and tail right. You might want to reserve those.If you still can't resolve the RC key conflict you can try Ctrl plus number or Ctrl + Shift + number or whatever makes sense for RC key mapping.

I fear exactly the same type of problem....I have 13 Goflight modules with FSUIPC macros and Goflight config, plus GoflightDisplay to get all the LEDs working on the modules. With my usual planes (LevelD B767, PiperCheyenne, ATR72, and PMDG 747 and MD11) and TrackIR, I finally succeeded to get it work OK without conflict.I have not 18 free combinations of Keys for RC. All of those which are given in the documentation are already taken, and i get the same problem than pushing on a command in Goflight can send a bad command to RC. I would have thought that you could have clikable selections in your window in FSX (Like FSpassengersX small window for example). If you add gauges, then I could make macros to get them work with the mouse or on a single module with a flag Key, and no conflict in the keys. We really miss letters in the alphabet now for our cockpits.....Is that something which can be done in V5?RC can be a very good help for realism when there is no ATC control on IVAO at the choosen airports. :(

I fear exactly the same type of problem....I have 13 Goflight modules with FSUIPC macros and Goflight config, plus GoflightDisplay to get all the LEDs working on the modules. With my usual planes (LevelD B767, PiperCheyenne, ATR72, and PMDG 747 and MD11) and TrackIR, I finally succeeded to get it work OK without conflict.I have not 18 free combinations of Keys for RC. All of those which are given in the documentation are already taken, and i get the same problem than pushing on a command in Goflight can send a bad command to RC. I would have thought that you could have clikable selections in your window in FSX (Like FSpassengersX small window for example). If you add gauges, then I could make macros to get them work with the mouse or on a single module with a flag Key, and no conflict in the keys. We really miss letters in the alphabet now for our cockpits.....Is that something which can be done in V5?RC can be a very good help for realism when there is no ATC control on IVAO at the choosen airports. :(
you can probably get by with 8. do you have 8 unused keys? maybe you could inop a couple of keys in the myriad of other add-ons to free up 1-5, 7, 8 and 9

I get the same thing i.e. "MCP heading only works anticlockwise". This is on an expensive CPFlight MCP operating the PMDG 737 Don't know what conflict is causing this, so at the moment I have stopped using RC4. I do know that the "increase MCP heading" key command for the PMDG 737 is nothing like any single key command in RC4. Without RC4 running - no problems.Bill

First, in the PMDG drop down menu within FS see what keystrokes are set up for the various functions. In FS clear out any assignments you are not using both in the normal and slew modes. Where possible align those two up.Now assign the strokes in your MPC hardware to match FS and PMDG. Same with VRInsight.Now go into RC4 and bring up the keyboard menu. First note the raw codes are displayed in the far right column and will change as you modify them. This might help if your hardware add-on only gives raw codes.Now in RC4 you can have nothing, CTRL, SHIFT, or CTRL+SHIFT prepend all the keyboard text keys. That is more than 160 at least combinations. That should provide wiggle room.Note that the numeric pad has different codes than the same labeled keys in the text area. Some utilities allow you to type the keys and with added if desired combo keys such as FS and assignments in a user registered FSUIPC for additional functions.If you do not have documentation this download:http://www.delphiforfun.org/Programs/Download/KeyCodes.zipwhich is open source will open a window (at least in XP) and display the keycombos so you without FS unless you need it to load a driver should show the codes output from your add-on hardware devices. Scan it for a virus if you wish. This is not a logger, just a display window. If you feel unsafe disconnect from the Internet while testing your stuff.

Guest GPISteve

This is as far as i have got now, I have all my hardware working whilst rc4 is operational. All except the dial on my mcp for turning heading anti-clockwise. My mcp is open cockpits but it appears the same problem affects other manufactures too, I too know the keys for my mcp are completely different to rc4's. Im at a loss now and have stopped using the software. I just hope a solution can be found as i dont like throwing money away. Peter Dowson suggested using one of the voice recognition programs. One of the freeware versions or payware. Will doing this eleminate the need for keyboard assignments all together, If so im willing to take the time to use these kind of applications.

See the SuperATC pinned topic at the forum head.It issues virtual keystrokes to RC based on a command voice recognition library.It would not hurt to insure your FS and model assignments for keys are correct and see if there is anything in FSUIPC assignments if you have the fully registered version that might help.Send an e-mail to jd@jdtllc.com if you can't resolve the issue.

Guest GPISteve
See the SuperATC pinned topic at the forum head.It issues virtual keystrokes to RC based on a command voice recognition library.It would not hurt to insure your FS and model assignments for keys are correct and see if there is anything in FSUIPC assignments if you have the fully registered version that might help.Send an e-mail to jd@jdtllc.com if you can't resolve the issue.
Thanks for taking time to try and resolve this issue, I had a thought :( Do you think installing rc4 onto my second pc which i use for fsmap, pm sounds and my eicas display would stop the conflict at all? I have a feeling it might as all my hardware is on the main fs pc.

It might. You'll need WideFS if it is not installed. WideFS passes FS messages back and forth but in your suggested method RC keystrokes should stay on the client and your MCP virtual keystrokes should stay there. You'll also need a fully registered FSUIPC on one. You'll also have to follow special instructions on rebuilding the RC scenery database.From the FSUIPC link above download the WideFS zip and look at the documentation.

Thanks for taking time to try and resolve this issue, I had a thought :( Do you think installing rc4 onto my second pc which i use for fsmap, pm sounds and my eicas display would stop the conflict at all? I have a feeling it might as all my hardware is on the main fs pc.

I'd be surprised if it did Steve as the key commands are still initiated from the FS PC. Is it possible to send a key stroke to RC from outside FS by using a client PC? RC would have to retain the focus but I've never heard of it.I don't have any knowledge of the Open Cockpits hardware or drivers but from what I've read here it sounds like keystrokes intended for RC are being interpreted by the Open Cockpits MCP. That sounds really weird. Is that what is happening?It would be nice if CTRL+SHIFT+Function Key worked in RC but unfortunately it doesn't.I have assigned RC commands to Go Flight buttons but that still requires the key combo to be free to use in the first place. RC is limited to CTRL+character, SHIFT+character or CTRL+SHIFT+character so there is plenty of leeway. Perhaps if you have some choice over what keys to assign to the MCP you could change those to a different combo such as CTRL+ALT GR + number.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2 & v3.4, Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0Ghz, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, Asus Prime Z370-A mobo, 32Gb G.Skill DDR4 3000Mhz RAM, Win 10 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest GPISteve

Thank you Guys, I have the file in front of me for the keyboard commands for open cockpits mcp and pmdg 737 and none of the assignments are the same as rc4. I'm now wondering if it has something to do with my vri cdu which im basically using as a posh keyboard emulator. @ Ray i'm originally from Stockport :( Not too far from egcc