Sign in to follow this  
Guest nbacoventry

What does the bufferpool tweak do?

Guest nbacoventry

hello,Just want to know what the bufferpool tweak for FSX.cfg does? And why would i need it. Does it increase frame rates since using the PMDG 747 makes me have to put my frame rate lock to unlimited otherwise i only get 10-15 fps (anyone else get this?) and with unlimited i get 20-30fps. I know that bufferpools has something to do with graphics card so i will tell you which graphics card i have, which is a PNY Nvidia Geforce 250 GTS 1GB. When i searched bufferpools on google people had a put a number under the bufferpools line in the CFG, if i was to use the tweak what number should i use?Thanks

Guest SK8TRBOI747
hello,Just want to know what the bufferpool tweak for FSX.cfg does? And why would i need it. Does it increase frame rates since using the PMDG 747 makes me have to put my frame rate lock to unlimited otherwise i only get 10-15 fps (anyone else get this?) and with unlimited i get 20-30fps. I know that bufferpools has something to do with graphics card so i will tell you which graphics card i have, which is a PNY Nvidia Geforce 250 GTS 1GB. When i searched bufferpools on google people had a put a number under the bufferpools line in the CFG, if i was to use the tweak what number should i use?Thanks
I'd be happy help - just need a little bit more info:Your cpu? How much memory (RAM) in your system? Operating system in use and whether it's 32 or 64 bit? How high are your sliders? All left? All right? Middle? Default? And lastly, do you fly with the DX10 box checked (first page in Settings)?Let me know and we'll get you fixed up with a few values to try. Off hand - and not knowing your cpu or scenery settings - 20-30 FPS with your 250GTS w/ PMDG747 is pretty representative and quite playable.Look forward to hearing from you.Cheers!

Search for bufferpools http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29041

Guest SK8TRBOI747
Personally, for me? IMHO? It doesn't do anything. I don't even have that line in my .cfg - seriously. BUT, it must be noted that I fly exclusively using DX10 Preview - so that 'may' have a bearing on the issue. I honestly do not know.There are many (many) 'opinions' on what BUFFERPOOLS does floating around out there in the ether - some sound, some off-the-wall.Here's Phil Taylor weighing-in (he was Project Leader at ACES for FSX SP1, SP2 and Accleration):"BUFFERPOOLSThe pedestrian sounding BUFFERPOOLS is a section of its own in the fsx.cfg file. There is a setting in there called Poolsize, as in[bUFFERPOOLS]Poolsize=nWhere n is the amount of bytes we will allocate for one pool of vertex and index buffers to store geometry. Again from Raf:

Oh Lord.....!!!No, no...pleaaaaase!Not another BP thread !!! :( This topic has been treated ad nauseum here.Have a look at this one or make a search with those two *

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Guest UlfB
hello,Just want to know what the bufferpool tweak for FSX.cfg does?
What it does? Nobody knows. But it seems to keep a lot of the people around here occupied in one way or another. :( (This is a joke - please forgive me :( )

What it does? Nobody knows. But it seems to keep a lot of the people around here occupied in one way or another. :( (This is a joke - please forgive me :( )
LOL! Made my day Ulf - Thank you!Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

:( You are forgiven my son... Go and sim some more. B)

Guest nbacoventry
I'd be happy help - just need a little bit more info:Your cpu? How much memory (RAM) in your system? Operating system in use and whether it's 32 or 64 bit? How high are your sliders? All left? All right? Middle? Default? And lastly, do you fly with the DX10 box checked (first page in Settings)?Let me know and we'll get you fixed up with a few values to try. Off hand - and not knowing your cpu or scenery settings - 20-30 FPS with your 250GTS w/ PMDG747 is pretty representative and quite playable.Look forward to hearing from you.Cheers!
Hello,My CPU is a Intel Quad Core 2 Q6600 which is clocked at 2.40GHz. I have 4GB of DDR2 PC2-6400 (400Mhz) and i am using Windows Vista 32bit for my OS. For sliders i use two different settings. The First settings is just for my PMDG 747 and CLS 747 add-ons. I use Nhancer for graphic settings like anti-ailasing and filtering also i have set my target frame rate to unlimted. For scenary have sliders on full right with mesh complexity, mesh resolution and texture res. I have put my level of radius to medium and my water effects are set to low 2.x. I have got scenary objects to very dense and i have put autogen density to none. For the weather tab i have got cloud coverage density to high and cloud draw distance to 60mi also i use REX for my weather. For traffic i have airline traffic at 40% and general aviation at 16% and i have put all sliders on the left in boat,road and ships and ferries. I don't use aircraft shadows or aircraft cast shadows to its self but use landing light illuminate ground. I do not use DX10.My other set of settings is for when i use default aircraft like the mooney bravo or cessna 172. Again i use Nhancer for my graphic settings, and i have set a target frame rate of 30. Aircraft settings are the same as the first. For scenary settings the only difference is that i have autogen at normal, weather settings are the same. For traffic i have airline at 40% and general aviation at 21%. Again i do not use DX10. One last thing is on both of the settings i have trilinear for filtering.Thanks for the help.

Guest SK8TRBOI747
Hello,My CPU is a Intel Quad Core 2 Q6600 which is clocked at 2.40GHz. I have 4GB of DDR2 PC2-6400 (400Mhz) and i am using Windows Vista 32bit for my OS. For sliders i use two different settings. The First settings is just for my PMDG 747 and CLS 747 add-ons. I use Nhancer for graphic settings like anti-ailasing and filtering also i have set my target frame rate to unlimted. For scenary have sliders on full right with mesh complexity, mesh resolution and texture res. I have put my level of radius to medium and my water effects are set to low 2.x. I have got scenary objects to very dense and i have put autogen density to none. For the weather tab i have got cloud coverage density to high and cloud draw distance to 60mi also i use REX for my weather. For traffic i have airline traffic at 40% and general aviation at 16% and i have put all sliders on the left in boat,road and ships and ferries. I don't use aircraft shadows or aircraft cast shadows to its self but use landing light illuminate ground. I do not use DX10.My other set of settings is for when i use default aircraft like the mooney bravo or cessna 172. Again i use Nhancer for my graphic settings, and i have set a target frame rate of 30. Aircraft settings are the same as the first. For scenary settings the only difference is that i have autogen at normal, weather settings are the same. For traffic i have airline at 40% and general aviation at 21%. Again i do not use DX10. One last thing is on both of the settings i have trilinear for filtering.Thanks for the help.
Hi NBA,First - I'm not so sure why some of the posters (above) are so harsh on a newbie with a question (and an Administrator, too!) I'm sorry you had to wade through all that. Yours is not a silly question, and I'm sure you're looking for the most current knowledge available from a simmer such as yourself - and as this is an area subject to constant debate, no prior post is going to give you a definitive answer. In any event, here goes (the others? Feel free to move on - nothing for you to see here).Thanks for the detail - very helpful. I run very (almost identical) settings as far as weather and scenery and such as you. One bit of detail missing, though, is how much memory on your graphics card - important in discussing Bufferpools - but I'll assume for the moment you've got >512MB as the rest of your kit seems very up-to-date.As you don't use DX10, testing with Bufferpools may (may) do something for you - just put the following in your .cfg:[bUFFERPOOLS]Poolsize=5000000That's 5M to start (default being 4M, as mentioned above). I would try that setting, then 6M, 7M, 8M, 9M then finally 10M. You'll just need to fly around with everything else equal (aircraft, weather, airport, etc.) and see if you get any appreciable FPS difference at each setting. It's a little tedious (but not too bad) but seems from everything I've read, and from what I've tried, this is the only way to really see what's effective for you.To sum-up, you will read many, many, many posts with folks swearing that xxxxxx is the Holy Grail setting for BP, and the next post it's yyyyyy is the ONLY number you should use. My view is that you need to experiment and see what works for you. Again, I don't even use Bufferpools in my .cfg, and I've found that works best for my frame rates - best frame rights at highest quaility. But my setup, of course, is a little different. (i7-920, O/C to 3.3Ghz, 6GB ram, GTS250 O/C 1 GB, Vista64, no nHancer).I'll mention again, too, that your FPS running PMDG 747-400 at your settings (and "Unlimited" I have found is the best way to go) is a very typical figure. The PMDG 747 taxes your system a bit - no doubt there, and BufferPools may work for you. Let me know how you make out!Cheers!

Guest nbacoventry
Hi NBA,First - I'm not so sure why some of the posters (above) are so harsh on a newbie with a question (and an Administrator, too!) I'm sorry you had to wade through all that. Yours is not a silly question, and I'm sure you're looking for the most current knowledge available from a simmer such as yourself - and as this is an area subject to constant debate, no prior post is going to give you a definitive answer. In any event, here goes (the others? Feel free to move on - nothing for you to see here).Thanks for the detail - very helpful. I run very (almost identical) settings as far as weather and scenery and such as you. One bit of detail missing, though, is how much memory on your graphics card - important in discussing Bufferpools - but I'll assume for the moment you've got >512MB as the rest of your kit seems very up-to-date.As you don't use DX10, testing with Bufferpools may (may) do something for you - just put the following in your .cfg:[bUFFERPOOLS]Poolsize=5000000That's 5M to start (default being 4M, as mentioned above). I would try that setting, then 6M, 7M, 8M, 9M then finally 10M. You'll just need to fly around with everything else equal (aircraft, weather, airport, etc.) and see if you get any appreciable FPS difference at each setting. It's a little tedious (but not too bad) but seems from everything I've read, and from what I've tried, this is the only way to really see what's effective for you.To sum-up, you will read many, many, many posts with folks swearing that xxxxxx is the Holy Grail setting for BP, and the next post it's yyyyyy is the ONLY number you should use. My view is that you need to experiment and see what works for you. Again, I don't even use Bufferpools in my .cfg, and I've found that works best for my frame rates - best frame rights at highest quaility. But my setup, of course, is a little different. (i7-920, O/C to 3.3Ghz, 6GB ram, GTS250 O/C 1 GB, Vista64, no nHancer).I'll mention again, too, that your FPS running PMDG 747-400 at your settings (and "Unlimited" I have found is the best way to go) is a very typical figure. The PMDG 747 taxes your system a bit - no doubt there, and BufferPools may work for you. Let me know how you make out!Cheers!
Thanks for the help, my graphics card is a PNY Nvidia Geforce 250 GTS which has 1GB of memory so does thatt change anything?

Guest SK8TRBOI747
Thanks for the help, my graphics card is a PNY Nvidia Geforce 250 GTS which has 1GB of memory so does thatt change anything?
Nope. Lookin' good.Cheers!

Hi nbacoventry,I suggest you read what the original poster Bojote wrote in the large bufferpools thread that was suggested to you. Contrary to what you have been told, the issue is not just whether or not you have a bufferpool setting in your FSX.cfg or if so, whether you increase or lower the number it is set with. The theory seems to be whether or not you shut bufferpools off in FSX by using the Bufferpools=0 setting so that the driver, not FSX, will control it. If Bufferpools is not specified at all, then FSX will set it at the internal default, or if you use a different number, it will change it accordingly. Only if you use the 0 setting will it work according to what so many have claimed in making a huge difference. Some will agree with what I just wrote, and some will disagree just as people will about anything. However, as always, it makes no sense to agree or disagree or be indifferent before closely examining the subject under discussion. That is why the moderator, who knows a thing or two, suggested you review the thread which contains a lot of information that may help you. I hope you have a great experience in any case, regardless or how you set it up. Good luck, and thanks for reading this.

Messed with BP once and quickly discovered it did absolutely nothing. My FSX runs fantastic without any messing around with cfg. Honestly the biggest tweak of all is cash.

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

First - I'm not so sure why some of the posters (above) are so harsh on a newbie with a question (and an Administrator, too!) I'm sorry you had to wade through all that. Yours is not a silly question, and I'm sure you're looking for the most current knowledge available from a simmer such as yourself - and as this is an area subject to constant debate, no prior post is going to give you a definitive answer. In any event, here goes (the others? Feel free to move on -nothing for you to see here).
Hey Robin!What's new in the verdant Sherwood Forest ?? :(

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.