Sign in to follow this  
Guest srathe

Stark's Twin Oaks - Exceptional

Insane, absolutely fantastic!

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

Very charming airfield and surrounds! Great work, Bill.

Guest Zorg_DK

it looks fantastic!! :( can't wait to get it.

Can someone please define exactly what this scenery comprises. Is it just a few buildings and a small airstrip done to a very high level, or are there a few square miles of scenery and lots of improvements?Thanks.

Can someone please define exactly what this scenery comprises. Is it just a few buildings and a small airstrip done to a very high level, or are there a few square miles of scenery and lots of improvements?Thanks.
There's the airport, done in photo-real detail (obviously), and a few square miles of aerial photo-based terrain surrounding the field that blends seamlessly with the FTX NA Blue landscape beyond it, including 4-seasons and night, fully annotated with custom autogen. My favorite off-field feature is the open pit gravel mine to the NW of the field (see shot).The whole thing sits on its own patch of high-res 2m terrain mesh, just so I could tease out the last little details.thanks,Billftx_7s3_41.jpg

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

Nice shot!Are you using REX2, Bill? if so, which cloud number is it please?

Thanks, Spotlope. :(*By the way, what kind of nuclear headache would have been involved to make all of PNW at this level of detail?

Thanks, Spotlope. :( *By the way, what kind of nuclear headache would have been involved to make all of PNW at this level of detail?
Thermonuclear. Many, many megatons. :(
Nice shot!Are you using REX2, Bill? if so, which cloud number is it please?
Naji, that's actually one of Nick Churchill's shots. I know he uses REX, but I'm not sure which set. I'll direct him over here.

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

Wow, so all of this scenery from ORBX is made by hand? Every house, road, river, tree, etc., is done by hand?

Guest j0nx

Beautiful work guys. It just pains me to spend $100 for both the PNW and the airport. Can't justify it even though I would love to have it.

Guest srathe
Beautiful work guys. It just pains me to spend $100 for both the PNW and the airport. Can't justify it even though I would love to have it.
Just a quick clarification, in case it matters to anyone: the actual price is closer to $86.00 (U.S.), at least for the download versions that I purchased. Perhaps you're speaking of the DVD sets that come out at the end of the month? Or perhaps you were referring to Australian dollars, which flightsimstore.com presents by default. Or perhaps $86 is close enough to $100 that it's immaterial - believe me, I understand :)In any event, some of the best money I've spent on flightsimming, hands down.

Guest j0nx

Yeah 86 is close enough to be immaterial to 100 to me. Believe me I want to try this stuff out but the price is just too steep. I am not saying the quality isn't worth it but just that I cant justify spending 3x the current price of the sim on a little bit of scenery and a small GA airport. Portland and all the surrounding GA airports are all that I really care about anyway but even those will be piece meal and charged $40-50 a pop most likely and STILL require NA blue. Yikes...

Yeah 86 is close enough to be immaterial to 100 to me. Believe me I want to try this stuff out but the price is just too steep. I am not saying the quality isn't worth it but just that I cant justify spending 3x the current price of the sim on a little bit of scenery and a small GA airport. Portland and all the surrounding GA airports are all that I really care about anyway but even those will be piece meal and charged $40-50 a pop most likely and STILL require NA blue. Yikes...
-----------------------------------------------------------------As regards PNW and not merely PNW airport add-ons....With all respect, you are denying yourself an UNLIMITED amount of flight simulation pleasure for the price of a tank of gas. Gas that has to constantly be replaced, week after week. For a 'tank of gas' you will have YEARS of simulation pleasure to offset Life's little annoyances. My opinion is that you are denying yourself something HUGE. The price of admission is $50.00 dollars. Who CARES what the original simulation cost you? You bought that ticket to enjoy the concept, yet you can't justify another 'cost of admission' to so greatly enhance the original intent 300 percent or greater. This is not a dig or criticism, trust me. I just would like you to enjoy what the rest of us have...and to think just outside the box.Don't use the original cost of FSX as the baseline. Why? Because these add-ons RAISE THE BAR many-times-fold. The 'cost base' can no longer hold......This 'little bit of scenery' is in fact immense! If you fly over every square mile of it...it would take you months...and believe me...you will want to. Nothing is so canned that you can predict what will be up another two or three flight miles down the path. Please reconsider your value/worth model. I hope you do, for you will then see what all the hoopla is about and join right in. The water is just fine...and just the right temperature! LOL!Mitch

-----------------------------------------------------------------As regards PNW and not merely PNW airport add-ons....With all respect, you are denying yourself an UNLIMITED amount of flight simulation pleasure for the price of a tank of gas. Gas that has to constantly be replaced, week after week. For a 'tank of gas' you will have YEARS of simulation pleasure to offset Life's little annoyances. My opinion is that you are denying yourself something HUGE. The price of admission is $50.00 dollars. Who CARES what the original simulation cost you? You bought that ticket to enjoy the concept, yet you can't justify another 'cost of admission' to so greatly enhance the original intent 300 percent or greater. This is not a dig or criticism, trust me. I just would like you to enjoy what the rest of us have...and to think just outside the box.Don't use the original cost of FSX as the baseline. Why? Because these add-ons RAISE THE BAR many-times-fold. The 'cost base' can no longer hold......This 'little bit of scenery' is in fact immense! If you fly over every square mile of it...it would take you months...and believe me...you will want to. Nothing is so canned that you can predict what will be up another two or three flight miles down the path. Please reconsider your value/worth model. I hope you do, for you will then see what all the hoopla is about and join right in. The water is just fine...and just the right temperature! LOL!Mitch
Man I am gonna print this out and hang it on the fridge so my wife can read it !!!!cheersGreg

FSX is, well, fs9 improved, but was seriously flawed right from the beginning. That was then, this is now. Things have changed. The ORBX FTX rebuild, based on a highly developed FSX platform, is more like something we might have expected to come from MSFS12 or MSFS13 years from now. It is that far advanced. Price value? Are you kidding? Over 450 upgraded and corrected airports, over 50,000 square miles of highly simulated hand built reality! The detail and accuracy of the FTX PNW far surpasses the rest of the non FTX sceneries available worldwide, combined. You simply can't buy anything that even compares favourably with it. You want Portland? You got Portland, a light years ahead rendition that exceeds your most vivid imagination. A flight from Troutdale to the Dales is so real you may have to pinch yourself. Why eat dog food on the floor when a buffet is on the table right in front of you? Is this a wild exaggeration? Certainly not! Ask anyone who has been spoiled by FTX, first in Australia, and now here at home in Canada and the USA. Listen to what they say, not those whose best interest it is to mitigate, blunt and otherwise do what it takes to try to limit the impact ORBX is making in the post-Aces flight simulation world.The ORBX company products, right here, and right now, is the giant leap forward that we have been waiting decades for in the flight simulation community. Because of their technological advances there is finally a flight sim that could possibly unite part of the different flight sim communities. Many, some screaming and swearing, but many nevertheless, are discovering that this FTX breakthrough provides the reason they were looking for to put the past in their past, and to join the present to help fund and build the future of flight simming. Will it last forever, of course not, but don't bother looking elsewhere anytime soon.Spirit Flyer