Sign in to follow this  
steve_1979

FTX Pacific North West - is it much better than UTX/GEX?

Hello,I'm considering getting FTX Pacific North West but have been put off by the high price tag. 55 Euros is a lot of money for a product that only covers a relatively small area. I already own UTX/GEX USA and Canada which together with FS Global 2010 mesh gives great results that I'm very happy with.I already have FTX Australia which I consider to be as good but not better than UTX/GEX. I've been looking at the videos of FTX PNW though and it looks like the best FSX scenery yet, even better than FTX AU or UTX/GEX. The question is - is it a big enough improvement over UTX/GEX/FS Global to be worth spending 55 Euros?

Guest UlfB

The price is 37.58 Euro. Use the currency selector to change from Australian dollars (55) to Euro.

Steve,I just checked the price and its 37,58 euros for the download version and 44,42 euros if you want it on DVD.

I already have FTX Australia which I consider to be as good but not better than UTX/GEX
FTX Australia was already great, PNW is even better :(Edit : Ulf, you were faster than me :(

KInd regards

Jean-Paul

I7 8700K / Fractal Design Celsius S24 watercooling / ASRock Z370 Extreme4 motherboard / Corsair 32GB 3200mhz DDR4 / INNO3D iChiLL GeForce GTX 1080 Ti X3 / Samsung SSD 960 EVO M.2 PCIe NVMe 500GB / Seasonic-SSR-850FX power supply / Fractal Design Define R5 Black case / AOC Q3279VWF 32″ 2560x1440 monitor / Benq GL2450 24″ 1920x1080 monitor / Track-IR 4

I think PNW is a lot better than FTX Down Under. Since I got PNW I haven't flown anywhere else, really... and I am also not planning tyo do so. It's certainly worth the 37,59 euro's. :(

Great thanks everyone.44 Euros isn't too bad (call me old fashioned but I like the CD boxes), I think I'll get it soon.On the Orbx site they say it's compatible with UTX, I take it there are no compatibility problems with GEX either?

Hello Steve,there's a demo of FTX PNW available here: http://fullterrain.com/product_demos.html . Once the demo is installed you can use the FTX Central application to temporarily deactivate it and thus conveniently compare your previous landscape of the Olympic Peninsula with the FTX PNW rendition. For the comparison you might want to set the FSX season to spring because that's the texture set included with the demo.Cheers, Holger

The question is - is it a big enough improvement over UTX/GEX/FS Global ...?
I would say it is absolutely worth it. Nothing wrong with UTX/GEX/FS Global, I use the same (with Scenerytech landclass added to the mix) and like what I see, but FTX PNW focuses a lot of effort on a smaller area, and it shows very clearly.I have not noticed any compatibility issues.

Beware, though: if you're an airline flyer - the reality and authenticity of the scenery - especially the airports - will astound you: you might just be persuaded to come over to the dark side and buy yourself the A2A Piper Cub...... :(

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Is it MUCH better? I'd say no.Is it better? For sure. It is worth it for the landclass improvements alone.Unless the money is burning a hole in your pocket or you REALLY like flying in the PNW region, I'd probably skip it.I got it because I really like the PNW region. I hope to live there someday.

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

Like Holger suggested, doing a before/after comparison on your own PC using our free demo, is a much better way to determine if PNW is for you. People's opinions count of course, but there's no substitute for experiencing it yourself.

Cheers,

John Venema

Orbx_Logo_Avatar.png

I think PNW is a lot better than FTX Down Under. Since I got PNW I haven't flown anywhere else, really... and I am also not planning tyo do so. It's certainly worth the 37,59 euro's. :(
The ORBX Pacific North West is head and shoulders above anything, anywhere else in the world, and then some...except for what they accomplished in Australia. The emerald green Tasmania, the Gold coast, and Ayer's rock in the outback is as beautiful and as well done as anything over here, as is countless other breathtaking vistas that beckon from the hundreds of custom airports. The world ORBX made down under is every bit as magic and beautiful as the best of NA Blue, and in some cases, like the eastern coastal towns and cities like Coff's Harbour, Evan's Head and Caloundra in a world class of their own. I look forward to adding to the places I love with the new sceneries soon to be released in Australia. There is no second best with ORBX.Each region and airport of more than the dozen I bought from them is as good as the one before and the one after. Here are a couple shots of Caloundra that captures a bit of the special magic:1269817887.jpg1269784491.jpgStephen

Guest Chunt16307

Hi I use both UTX and GEX and FS Genisis as well. I also use Air Hauler which generates flights to airports and last night I did a flight starting from KPWT and flying to KELN. After crossing the Cascade Mts the FTX scenery ended and UTX/GEX took over and the change was really stark. These guys have done a bigger product here than Australia and all of the airports have been redone. I think the number was more that 450. As I fly in this region a lot I think that I would be willing to pay $75 for this scenery. I spent more that that for some photo scenery package that didn't cover 1/4th this area. And things will only get better as the OZx guys get things cranked up. If you like low and slow, this scenery is well worth the price.

You have to put this in perspective though. As a single addon, it is definitely worth it. If you intend on getting all the additional volumes (assuming Orbx plans on producing them) it gets more complicated. Based on the area of this addon I would estimate we're looking at somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 volumes to complete US and Southern Canada, Northern Canada would probably be another 5, unless some volumes are enlarged. At $50 US (Price of PNW) That would bring the cost for the whole US upwards of $1000 US. (and that doesn't include the disk resources it would require. Which at 5GB per volume would be about 100GB extra.) Where the cost for GEX/UTX which covers all the US and Canada would be a tenth of that, and many already have it. If money is no object, then I would definitely go for it. Unfortunately in this economy at least for me it is, So this is where you have to compare ultimate value and make a decision for yourself, if it's worth that much. This is the same problem Megascenery has with their product.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

In my opinion, GEX+UTX+Genesis mesh is great!PNW is better. The detail is higher, the look is better, but the area is smaller. I think PNW is priced very fairly.I'm glad I have all of these products. I wouldn't give any of them up. :(

You have to put this in perspective though.....That would bring the cost for the whole US upwards of $1000 US. ... Unfortunately in this economy at least for me it ...
Sorry, for me engaging in such "what if" speculations borders on ridiculous. By the time we are nearing 25 or so volumes covering the North America half us on will probably be retired, we may have a different simulation environment and even Orbx may be long gone. And even if we reach such threshold in matter of long years rather than decades there will be different prices, different purchase options, etc. And by that time the US economy .. who knows DJI may even be at 100,000 with gallon of gas at $89.95, Iran will make first attempt to nuke Israel or vice-verse, etc, etc, etc, etc. This is for me putting things in proper perspective ... :(