Sign in to follow this  
ghiom

Can the Video Card memory be a bottleneck and cause OOM? What leads me to that thinking that is: 1) Can a videocard memory be a reason for OOM in FS9

Can the Video Card memory be a bottleneck and cause OOM?What leads me to that thinking that is:1) I loose the AA a few seconds before the OOM occurs2) I notice that my OOM started (again) when I switched from 4:3 to widescreen. Hence from 1280x1024 to 1960x1024, this is 53% more load on the graphic card...3) my GTS8800 has 256Mb RAM only.of course, If have already made sure that this was not caused by duplicate AFCADs, etc...ThanksGhiom

I get OOM sometimes after installing Ultimate Terrain USA/Canada/Alaska. How do you check for "duplicate AFCAD"?jerrycwo4

Can the Video Card memory be a bottleneck and cause OOM?
Yes, to a certain extent. Yes in the sense that PCI Express graphics cards "share" their virtual address space memory allocation with the OS. In essence, the more memory your gfx card has, the less is available to the user address space for applications. That's why OOMs were a very rare occurrence with AGP gfx cards, since that was a completely different architecture that didn't take any memory from the OS. It is not a bottleneck in your example though. What you're describing is basically the effect of FS9 simply demanding more memory as a result of your increased resolution. Higher res = more mem = you've gone over the 2GB user mode virtual address space allocation, a classic OOM scenario, if you will.

Cheers,

Mack

i7 950 @ 4Ghz :Apogee XT waterblock: EVGA X58 Classified :EK full-cover waterblock: Feser X-Changer 360: 3 x GTX 570 (Tri-SLI): EK full-cover waterblocks : Thermochill PA 120.2: 6GB Corsair Dominator 1600Mhz RAM (stock speeds) : FS9 & FSX @ 1920x1080 on Windows 7 x64

Yes, to a certain extent. Yes in the sense that PCI Express graphics cards "share" their virtual address space memory allocation with the OS. In essence, the more memory your gfx card has, the less is available to the user address space for applications. That's why OOMs were a very rare occurrence with AGP gfx cards, since that was a completely different architecture that didn't take any memory from the OS. It is not a bottleneck in your example though. What you're describing is basically the effect of FS9 simply demanding more memory as a result of your increased resolution. Higher res = more mem = you've gone over the 2GB user mode virtual address space allocation, a classic OOM scenario, if you will.
Thanks very much for this.Question: should this happen even with the /3Gb switch and FS9 patched to use large address.GhiomThanks

In 12 years of Flight Simming I never had a OOM untill after installing Ultimate Terrain USA/Canada/Alaska. I like so much what is added to my FS2004 that so far I have left it installed and just "bite the bullet" when after about a 50 minutes I get the OOM msg. I can reset my flight in about 3 minutes, which is not too bad.1. Is there any way to gauge or watch the amount of memory that is used up so that you can tell that a OOM is about to happen?2. Is there any "work around" to keep the OOM from happening, like pausing the flight or "minerterizing" the flight ?I'm using a screen res of 2010 x 1080 ( I think). Would reducing the screen res help to keep the OOM from happening?This is all way over my head. Thanks jerrycwo4

In 12 years of Flight Simming I never had a OOM untill after installing Ultimate Terrain USA/Canada/Alaska. I like so much what is added to my FS2004 that so far I have left it installed and just "bite the bullet" when after about a 50 minutes I get the OOM msg. I can reset my flight in about 3 minutes, which is not too bad.1. Is there any way to gauge or watch the amount of memory that is used up so that you can tell that a OOM is about to happen?2. Is there any "work around" to keep the OOM from happening, like pausing the flight or "minerterizing" the flight ?I'm using a screen res of 2010 x 1080 ( I think). Would reducing the screen res help to keep the OOM from happening?This is all way over my head. Thanks jerrycwo4
jerry- it's over my head also since I have NEVER had an OOM- and I've been running UT- Can/AK/USA for several years. And my GPUs (GeForce FX5200 AGP & PCI) have only 128 memory each to drive 3 monitors @ 1024x768.Perhaps this is a hidden plus for an antique 'puter! Come to think of it, can't even recall a CTD.Some of these problems sound a bit like a runner who is so fast, he sometimes trips over his own feet.Regards Alex Reid

Question: should this happen even with the /3Gb switch and FS9 patched to use large address.
Again, yes and no :( What the 3GB switch does, is allocate some of the OS' address space back to the applications, the equation is simple and looks like this:USERVA (maximum) = 4096 - gfx onboard memory - 768MB (minimum OS allocation). Higher than recommended USERVA will result in excessive swapping, quite an undesirable outcome when simming.However unlikely, it is still possible to go over the address space allocation if the required USERVA is low due to a high gfx card memory count and should FS9 be more memory hungry than usual. In all my testing back when I still used a 32bit OS and with a fairly low USERVA (2304), I have never had FS9 crash with an OOM error with the /3GB switch.

Cheers,

Mack

i7 950 @ 4Ghz :Apogee XT waterblock: EVGA X58 Classified :EK full-cover waterblock: Feser X-Changer 360: 3 x GTX 570 (Tri-SLI): EK full-cover waterblocks : Thermochill PA 120.2: 6GB Corsair Dominator 1600Mhz RAM (stock speeds) : FS9 & FSX @ 1920x1080 on Windows 7 x64

Again, yes and no :( What the 3GB switch does, is allocate some of the OS' address space back to the applications, the equation is simple and looks like this:USERVA (maximum) = 4096 - gfx onboard memory - 768MB (minimum OS allocation). Higher than recommended USERVA will result in excessive swapping, quite an undesirable outcome when simming.However unlikely, it is still possible to go over the address space allocation if the required USERVA is low due to a high gfx card memory count and should FS9 be more memory hungry than usual. In all my testing back when I still used a 32bit OS and with a fairly low USERVA (2304), I have never had FS9 crash with an OOM error with the /3GB switch.
Just bite the bullet and upgrade to Win 7 64bit. I used to be unable to fly from Cloud Nine scenery to another complex addon airport without the OOM nightmare especially when flying in the DA Fokker 70/100. I use win 7 64 bit without any issues. Did the shader mod upgrade for FSX which helped issues with clouds and scenery clarity. I can fly anywhere now at high settings on my I7 intel 2.6Gz OCed to 3.6 with 6GB RAM. I hated to reinstall both FSX and FS9 but it was worth it. No more OOM

:P Timothy Murphy

I have my userva set at 2560.With 4Gb RAM (actually 3.5) and 320Mb gfx onboard memory, I should set the Userva at 4096 - 320 - 768 = 3008 ???With 3.5Gb, that will be 3584 - 320 -768 = 2496...What is your recommendation?Thanks,Ghiom

In 12 years of Flight Simming I never had a OOM untill after installing Ultimate Terrain USA/Canada/Alaska. Thanks jerrycwo4
I've never had a OOM either in all the years I've flown (FS98 and up).I truly believe that Ultimate Terrain is a main cause of OOM's, which is why I've never bought it. :( RJ

I have been experimenting...With RivaTuner, I checked that at very detailed airports (FSDreamTeam), upon landing, the Video memory usage increases up to 460Mb. And my card has 320 Mb only!That means that the video card is pulling memory from the motherboard and system.Probably, with aircrafts demanding high memory (level-d) the sum of the video and the "normal" memories exceeds what the system can provide. Hence the OOM.In fact I noticed that I was loosing AA just before the OOM, as if the card could not cope anymore.What do you think?ThanksGhiom

I have my userva set at 2560.With 4Gb RAM (actually 3.5) and 320Mb gfx onboard memory, I should set the Userva at 4096 - 320 - 768 = 3008 ???With 3.5Gb, that will be 3584 - 320 -768 = 2496...What is your recommendation?Thanks,Ghiom
The equation is for determining the maximum USERVA value (i.e. the value that should not be exceeded), obviously there's no point in setting it that high if you're not getting OOM errors at 2560. The 4GB value is not the amount of RAM you have. 4GB refers to the 4GB virtual address space (i.e. 2GB for application and 2GB for OS use).To be quite honest, I don't know the effect on video memory use on FS9's performance, but it shouldn't have any effect on OOM events.Ultimate Terrain is not a cause of OOM events. At least not directly. It does require a large amount of memory though and thus increases the overall load FS9 places on memory requirements. It's the straw that breaks the camel's back. You could just as well argue that PMDG's MD11 is a cause of OOM events if you'd installed it after UT, since you'd most definitely end up with OOM errors with that combo. With OOMs it's always a combination of a number of memory-intensive add-ons that's tipping FS9 over the edge.The best solution is to move to a 64 bit OS. Unless there are compelling reasons to stay with 32bits, there's no real reason not to.

Cheers,

Mack

Ultimate Terrain is not a cause of OOM events. At least not directly.
Maybe. I'm by no means an OOM expert because I don't have that problem. But I have observed many posts about OOM / CTD's and Ultimate Terrain being mentioned. And now jerryuscg.In this thread, you point your finger at Ultimate Terrainhttp://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=232419&hlThere are many other posts with Ultimate Terrain mentioned. http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=271770&hlhttp://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=261871&hlJust an observation I've made, which stopped me from buying Ultimate Terrain.Ghiom I hope you find the problem...RJ

Maybe. I'm by no means an OOM expert because I don't have that problem. But I have observed many posts about OOM / CTD's and Ultimate Terrain being mentioned. And now jerryuscg.In this thread, you point your finger at Ultimate Terrainhttp://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=232419&hlThere are many other posts with Ultimate Terrain mentioned. http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=271770&hlhttp://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=261871&hlJust an observation I've made, which stopped me from buying Ultimate Terrain.Ghiom I hope you find the problem...RJ
RJ- I have used UT Can/AK & USA since their early days. I have never updated them and still run FS91.0. 6 year old 1.8 PC, 2GB RAM with Virtual Mem.= Let System Manage, 2 GPUs/3 monitorsHave NEVER seen an OOM. And can't recall a CTD.Alex Reid