Sign in to follow this  
vonmar

LOWI AFCAD ILS RWY 8

I need a FS9.1 afcad for LOWI ILS RWY 8 (109.7 OEJ).In AVSIM library I found this one:Flight Simulator 2004 - Scenery Innsbruck LOCDME 08 Widmann Andreas 1k 811728-Aug-2003****But it did not work.****Anybody know of another one?Possibly one for FSX also?

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

If this is old news then forgive me but some people get caught out by it.Remember that the LOWI ILS OEJ does not have a usable glideslope, and the localizer doesn't take you to the runway. It's only used to descend into the valley before levelling off at 5000 feet and flying the visual approach which involves two more turns at AB and past INN (if landing on 08). So it might be working correctly, it just doesn't do what "normal" ILS approaches do.

Well I found a newer AFCAD file for FS9: http://www.flightsim.com/file.php?cm=SEARCH1&fsec=0&fname=aflowirs.zipMaybe this works better?I, myself use Aersofts Innsbruck scenery, so I can´t make a new afcad for you, I think :/
Thank you for the information.That afcad does update airport parking but does not provide the RWY 8 Localizer.
If this is old news then forgive me but some people get caught out by it.Remember that the LOWI ILS OEJ does not have a usable glideslope, and the localizer doesn't take you to the runway. It's only used to descend into the valley before levelling off at 5000 feet and flying the visual approach which involves two more turns at AB and past INN (if landing on 08). So it might be working correctly, it just doesn't do what "normal" ILS approaches do.
****Thank you for the follow up.In my topic/subject I said ILS in error .. should have been the LOWI AFCAD/bgl for adding LOC DME for RWY 8.My charts for LOWI do show the LOC 08 approach correctly with the visual after the turn.I wanted to practice the two approaches into LOWI (several times) with the Mooney before doing the flight in the feetThere E-175 (EMBv2).I was flying the MSFS Mooney Bravo from LSZH to LOWI.My flight plan went well.I was going to do the 8 LOC approach followed by the visual for 26.My LOWI chart showed the rwy 8 LOC freq 109.7 but MSFS had NO rwy 8 LOC!So I just flew from KTI to RTT then did the procedure for LOC (111.10) to RWY 26 (last piece being visual also).So, I wanted to update MSFS9.1 by getting LOC 8 for LOWI.Like I mention, I found one solution but when I put it into the correct scenery folder it did not work.The localizer (109.7) still was not available for the approach.Maybe it got messed up when AVSIM library went down months ago?So, still trying to find the LOC afcad/bgl?

Best Regards,

Try LOWI_APP_JV.zip available still here at Avsim.It also gives approach .bgl for ai etc. Have been using it for a long time with the Level-D B767. (But the approach you want in that is very tricky.) :Whew:Colin B

vonmar, if you're still struggling, just open the afcad file in.. um... afcad... and add it yourself.Here are the details:Ident: OEJName: LOC/DME 08Freq: 109.70Mag Var: 1.0Range: 40nmNo glide pathHas DME enabledLocalizer:----------N47* 18.5229'E11* 36.0846'Elev: 2700.0 ASLHeading: 68.000Beam Width: 5 degreesBackcourse enabledDME:----N47* 18.5221'E11* 36.0926'Elev: 2700.0 ASLI opened the default FS9 afcad and OEJ is indeed missing.

Thanks for this information. Can you tell me where on the web I could find more details about the LOWI approaches? I do have Aerosoft "Approaching Innsbruck" but could not get it to run very well on my 6 year-old machine (poor frame rates when the main airport buildings were in view) so haven't really used it for anything except an occasional R22 low and slow flight to admire the scenery. (Especially the trains!) :( But I'm getting ready to buy a new PC in a few weeks and am hoping that sceneries that have been marginal on my old system will now actually run smoothly with complex add-on aircraft. So would love to be able to try LOWI approaches "done right."

Charts are available for most of Europe athttp://www.ead.eurocontrol.int/publicuser/public/pu/login.jspFree registration is required, then fill your boots. :biggrin:Colin B

Thanks for this information. Can you tell me where on the web I could find more details about the LOWI approaches? I do have Aerosoft "Approaching Innsbruck" but could not get it to run very well on my 6 year-old machine (poor frame rates when the main airport buildings were in view) so haven't really used it for anything except an occasional R22 low and slow flight to admire the scenery. (Especially the trains!) :( But I'm getting ready to buy a new PC in a few weeks and am hoping that sceneries that have been marginal on my old system will now actually run smoothly with complex add-on aircraft. So would love to be able to try LOWI approaches "done right."
Hi!Yeah it's a bit complicated isn't it? First thing you want to do is grab the charts:http://charts.vacc-austria.org/LOWI/LOWI_Package_Complete%20Package_02082009.pdfStudy them carefully and plan well ahead. I find that when on a short flight to Innsbruck (less than an hour) it's best to prepare for the landing while still on the ground as getting through everything in cruise can get a bit tight. Also take extra fuel, the approach uses far more than normal approaches, and a missed approach will drink even more. Also know the missed approach procedure from any point in the approach, and know your max angle climb speed etc.Also have a look for some Youtube videos of Innsbruck landings etc. They can help a lot in forming the overall picture, but also confuse you a lot of you don't have the charts. The charts do explain everything you need to know but unless you're very comfortable with approach plates, the Innsbruck approach can be confusing and should be studied before attempting a flight. You'll run out of time and space quickly if you're not on top of the procedure. Let us know which direction you're coming from and which runway you want to land on and we can talk about it some more.

Try LOWI_APP_JV.zip available still here at Avsim.It also gives approach .bgl for ai etc. Have been using it for a long time with the Level-D B767. (But the approach you want in that is very tricky.) :Whew:Colin B
****Colin,Thank you for the help and the link.I downloaded the Zip file.JV said in his readme file:"REMOVE any Localizer files you may have downloded from other Web Sites that say they add the LOCDME 08 to Innsbruck (LOWI) which is missing in FS2004. These type files are written using EN2K vers. 4.00 from Hervé Sors which are usually installed into the \Scenery\Eurw\Scenery folder and are not compatible with the filestructure of XML in FS9." Is why the original BGL I downloaded did not work?But I think .. why is it in AVSIM library if it does not work for MSFS 9.1 (FS2004)?So,First I tried JV's ..it worked.But when I loaded LOWI in AFCAD program the green LOC feathers were not there.Then I again tried the original BGL I downloaded.Well, it also did not display the green LOC feathers in AFCAD program.So I looked in MSFS Map View.The LOC was there but it looks like it is part of another airport.See screenshot.Where I put "?" is the RWY08 LOC for LOWI.This is why I originally thought it was not working (missing).Also the black runways for the airport are missing .. so visually, I got it wrong.I thought both LOC's would be near my aircraft symbol.Bottom line ....Both author's LOC 08 updates for LOWI in AVSIM library work.Note:At present I only practice the two approaches in the MSFS Mooney Brave.Do you fly the LOC 8 approach, turn to visual for landing in the Level-D?LOWI1.jpg
vonmar, if you're still struggling, just open the afcad file in.. um... afcad... and add it yourself.Here are the details:Ident: OEJName: LOC/DME 08Freq: 109.70Mag Var: 1.0Range: 40nmNo glide pathHas DME enabledLocalizer:----------N47* 18.5229'E11* 36.0846'Elev: 2700.0 ASLHeading: 68.000Beam Width: 5 degreesBackcourse enabledDME:----N47* 18.5221'E11* 36.0926'Elev: 2700.0 ASLI opened the default FS9 afcad and OEJ is indeed missing.
****Thanks for the information.I have done that in the past ...BUT, getting the LAT/LON ...converting ect. is a bit of a job.I will keep this data .. may just do it so I can see both LOC's green feathers when I use the AFCAD program.

Best Regards,

****As mentioned in a previose post here:Try LOWI_APP_JV.zip available still here at Avsim.Unzip the file and it has complete set of charts also ...Edit: But I later noticed they are from 2002 .. others mentioned here will be "newer".

Best Regards,

"Do you fly the LOC 8 approach, turn to visual for landing in the Level-D?"Hey MartyI don't think it would be allowed in RW because of turn diameter. In LDS, at Flap 20,diam is about 1.9 nm so you need at least Flap 25 ( pref 30) turning off the end of downwind leg for runway 08. You will probably just go through the extended centre-line unless you plough a furrow with your left wing-tip in the hills on the downwind leg! :biggrin:Runway 26 visual turns are much easier with gear down and at least flap 20.If you're going to try it in the 767, keep the weight right down at first until you get used to it.Never had these turn problems going in and out of there in the late '60s in the old Viscount 700 without any navaids except the Mk1 eyeball. :smile:Colin B

Colin,Thanks for the information.BTY, The green feathers were in the AFCAD program display .. I was not zoomed out far enough.So used to seeing the ILS's at the ends of runways!I am testing LOWI in a Mooney ... but later I wanted to try the feelThere EMBv2.So, what are the normal vectors for arrivals from the West landing on the 26? .. would they normally get vectors ..like from KTI 13000, fly the OEJ LOC East, RTT for a procedure turn and then return for the landing?

Best Regards,

"Do you fly the LOC 8 approach, turn to visual for landing in the Level-D?"I don't think it would be allowed in RW because of turn diameter. In LDS, at Flap 20,diam is about 1.9 nm so you need at least Flap 25 ( pref 30) turning off the end of downwind leg for runway 08. You will probably just go through the extended centre-line unless you plough a furrow with your left wing-tip in the hills on the downwind leg! :biggrin:Runway 26 visual turns are much easier with gear down and at least flap 20.
Actually in real life the approach is flown with flaps 30, gear down right from the IAF (KTI or RTT D18.2). You need to keep the speeds very low to make those turns, and the descent path. Remember turn radius is defined by speed, not weight of the aircraft. When turning onto final approach for 08, you they do go through the centreline quite a bit and turn past the runway to correct it, dumping full flaps if necessary at this stage.And believe it or not, 767s do land at Innsbruck courtesy of Austrian Air and Lauda Air :)

also,if you attempt the procedure from KTI(LOC DME east) the aimingpoint should be AB ndb(Absam),not RTT ndb(Rattenberg),RTT is only used in the missed approach procedure in that one.

fmj28m.gif