Sign in to follow this  
briansommers

which 727 for FSX?

I too have the CS 727. I've had it since it's release and it regularly gets an outing form the hanger.A lot of folk have had a lot of bad stuff to say about Captain Sim over the years, including myself. However, they have, without doubt greatly improved their customer service attitude.I very much like the CS 727 and I don't think you'd be disapointed, even at at the full price.As previously stated, CS seem to have developed a real skill with steam gauges.

I think I know who made this, it's the one and only Alejandro Rojas :(. He has made wonderful aircraft for FSX recently, though I haven't heard anything of his presence since the release of his Convair 240. I once had his other 727, of which was the last release, which had 87% custom gauges. I originally planned to use the CIVA INS on it but then I realized that I never actually flew aircraft with this comprehensive utility that deserves its place in a 727 :(. However it flew like a dream, somehow feeling that it had the kick from the Dreamfleet model. I removed it after realizing that the HJG 727 flew and operated better. At that time, I looked for an aircraft which had better and proper simulation of the 727's sophisticated (at that time) avionics, after realizing how basic Alejandro's 727 was. Originally, I intended to modify the aircraft to include iSG gauges for better navigation, but FS Panel Studio messed up everything with the cockpit's gauges, which stated that some of the gauges didn't have bitmaps and even considered some others invalid, which caused missing gauges on the panel. :(:Cry:I also looked at the autothrottle problem. Again, this is why I removed his 727. I simply didn't have the sufficient knowledge to fix this. I also looked at the effectiveness of each autothrottle and I found out that the HJG 727 has far more intuitive A/T simulation.
I liked the HJG except for the fact of no VC. When I was trying to fly it, I couldn't see over the panel down to the runway on approach, even if I made sure to be light on fuel, properly trimmed, flaps set, etc. The only way I could view the runway was to use F9 or W to make the panel disappear. That is just too unrealistic for me. I have other aircraft with no VC, but they are all flyable without removing the panel to see the runway. Alejandro's 727 with the Lufthansa paint job is gorgeous. The AT problem isn't a show stopper for me, because you still have the function, just have to use a different key combo to make it happen.

David Norman Paul

I very much like the CS 727 and I don't think you'd be disapointed, even at at the full price.
+ 1. CS said most likely there will be no sale, so no reason to wait longer :)

I liked the HJG except for the fact of no VC. When I was trying to fly it, I couldn't see over the panel down to the runway on approach, even if I made sure to be light on fuel, properly trimmed, flaps set, etc. The only way I could view the runway was to use F9 or W to make the panel disappear. That is just too unrealistic for me. I have other aircraft with no VC, but they are all flyable without removing the panel to see the runway. Alejandro's 727 with the Lufthansa paint job is gorgeous. The AT problem isn't a show stopper for me, because you still have the function, just have to use a different key combo to make it happen.
With the HJG versions, there is a button in the middle column of buttons that allows you to toggle between normal and landing view, and the landing view works very well. The button is two small, white arrows, pointing left and right. I've never had to hide the panel to land...give it a try!

Jim Blake
Captain, SWA Virtual Airlines
Real World C172 Pilot, AOPA #06034701
 sig_concordeX.jpg  Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

There is a review of the CS 727 here on the Avsim site (by me as it happens), it being for the Just Flight boxed version, but that JF version is relatively similar to the CS digital download in most respects, so you can use it as a guideline for both versions. You can read that review, or I can save you the trouble by giving you the highlights:Out of the box it looks great, with one or two very minor glitches in the cockpit (trivial and fixable). The flight model is too sensitive by default, making it difficult to trim, but that too can be fixed easily, and when it is fixed, the only thing that is left which is less than great about the CS727, is that it is slightly underpowered (again fixable with some effort) and it has some data missing from the documentation which comes with it that a real 727 pilot would have on hand to be able to set the correct engine pressure ratios on the engines, since unlike a modern jet, not all of that is managed by an FMS. But, if you read my review, I put some web links in there which point to all of the fixes and also to where you can get hold of the necessary data if you want to operate the thing realistically.Having discussed the CS727's handling with a few real airliner drivers, I can tell you that when it is fixed up with the various tweaks that are out there, it flies very much like a real one and can be operated like a real one too in almost every respect. It also comes with a lot of nice ground service add-ons too, which make it fun to use as a freighter.In the end, the only reason I did not recommend it for some sort of glowing Avsim Award, is because you have to indulge in a bit of DIY fixing to get it up to scratch. That is easily done, so it's not a big deal, but the fact that you have to do it yourself instead of it installing in that fashion straight from the box, is what made it miss out on an Award. Sloppy finishing by Captain Sim there, but it doesn't alter the fact that when you make those tweaks, you've got yourself a pretty realistic B727 that is a real looker and which runs well in FSX.In short, if you are not concerned about following a few guides to make the odd tweak to the flight model, and doing a bit of reading up on EPR, then I can seriously recommend it. Oh, and it has a great flight tutorial which comes with it in an extra manual if you buy the boxed version.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

With the HJG versions, there is a button in the middle column of buttons that allows you to toggle between normal and landing view, and the landing view works very well. The button is two small, white arrows, pointing left and right. I've never had to hide the panel to land...give it a try!
I'll give it a try--I didn't know about that! That's all I really ever use a VC for, is to land and to make taxiing easier.

David Norman Paul

In short, if you are not concerned about following a few guides to make the odd tweak to the flight model, and doing a bit of reading up on EPR, then I can seriously recommend it. Oh, and it has a great flight tutorial which comes with it in an extra manual if you buy the boxed version.Al
Al,I have this excellent aircraft (-100 version) but was reluctant to buy the Freighter one since the FDE is the same than that of the 100 (so it means getting an underpowered plane at the weights used for the 200F). Can you point me to the tweaking guides you talk about please ?Deniz

Can you point me to the tweaking guides you talk about please ?Deniz
Go to the main Avsim page, click on 'reviews', then choose 'aircraft reviews', scroll down a bit and you will find my Just Flight CS727 review, open up that review and look right near the end of it. You will find a bunch of useful links there, and the very last one is a link to where you will find the mods you need to make the 727 fly better. All the other links are worth checking out too by the way if you like the 727.Al

Alan Bradbury

<br />With the HJG versions, there is a button in the middle column of buttons that allows you to toggle between normal and landing view, and the landing view works very well.  The button is two small, white arrows, pointing left and right.  I've never had to hide the panel to land...give it a try!<br />
<br /><br /><br />Wow. I think I might have found my new favorite jetliner. Now if I can just figure out the INS....Thanks again for the tip.

David Norman Paul

Go to the main Avsim page, click on 'reviews', then choose 'aircraft reviews', scroll down a bit and you will find my Just Flight CS727 review, open up that review and look right near the end of it. You will find a bunch of useful links there, and the very last one is a link to where you will find the mods you need to make the 727 fly better.
Are you able to follow the link and download the file you mention from mediafire?All i get is "0 items found to display!" when i click on it :(

Regards,

Radek

Guest CoPilot
I too have the CS 727.  I've had it since it's release and it regularly gets an outing form the hanger.
Me too. I also fly it almost every day and absolutely satisfied with the quality, no other 727, thanks :)

Sorry RDB, you are correct, the link to the mediafire download appears to be dead. So, here is the trim fix, which is easy to do in the config file:[flight_tuning]//elevator_trim_effectiveness = 1.0elevator_trim_effectiveness = 0.3The other fixes tend to be in the service packs that are kicking about on the CS site, so I'd suggest looking at those too.Al

Alan Bradbury

Wow. I think I might have found my new favorite jetliner. Now if I can just figure out the INS....Thanks again for the tip.
Hey, glad to help! :) If you haven't downloaded the B727 user manuals from HJG, you can find the link to them here, towards the bottom of the page: http://simviation.com/hjg/panels/boeing.htm (It's a zipped file).They are in HTM format, and the Index.htm is the starting point file.

Jim Blake
Captain, SWA Virtual Airlines
Real World C172 Pilot, AOPA #06034701
 sig_concordeX.jpg  Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Guest 413X3

I've never found a fix that tweaks the power of the engines. What can I do to work on that?

Guest cliffie1931
I would like to fly the 727 as a cargo plane.Which one? Flight1 or Captain Sim? I'm looking for smooth!
Brian I know you want suggestions for the cargo version of the 737. However if you're prepared to wait for a short time you could buy the soon to be released PMDG 737 NGX. You'd be getting the state of the art aircraft.To get an idea of what I mean get into the Avsim Forum then work your way thrugh the following sequence: Commercial Support Forum...The PMDG Support Forum.....PMDG General Forum....then select "So how does the PMDG 737NGK compare...." When you open that string you'll begin to understand the depth of excellence this aircraft is sure to offer.And if you haven't ever flown one of the PMDG stable go onto their site and read their testimonials.Cliff Harris