Sign in to follow this  
bojote

Blurries FIX for FSX [Experimental]

Hi bojote,Are you referring to the STALE_BUFFER_THRESHOLD or is the STALE_BUFFER you talk about below a separate entry?. My understanding is the STALE_BUFFER_THRESHOLD entry was to be entered in MB not FPS. If the STALE_BUFFER is a separate config entry, can you enlighten me or point me to some discussion or documentation on the subject.Thanks

Using the external frame rate limiter *WILL* produce frame rate fluctuations in FSX, The way to counteract this is to reduce your page flip queue/render ahead frames to 1 in the video card driver and set the STALE_BUFFER in fsx.cfg to the same FPS you set in the limiter. Aditonally you HAVE to set the FPS to either 30, 20 or 15 FPS. if you set any other number and vsync is active, then FSX and the FPS limiter will fight each other. In my personal opinion, the external frame rate limiter its a MUST HAVE!

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

I'm also intrigued by the stale_buffer setting.I want to be enlightened too.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Here are my 'not very scientific' findings. I did the tweaks as per instructions. Fired up FSX and was immediately struck by a greater smoothness than I have so far experienced. That is not to say I was dissatisfied by the looks or performance before but it was definately nicer. Then I realised I hadn't used the external limiter doohickey! :( So I restarted FSX via the limiter @ 30fps. Guess what, it was worse! Slightly jittery, not enough to be too 'in yer face' but there nevertheless. Reverted to the normal unlimited and smoothness and loveliness returned. :( So, super settings without the external job.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Hi bojote,Are you referring to the STALE_BUFFER_THRESHOLD or is the STALE_BUFFER you talk about below a separate entry?. My understanding is the STALE_BUFFER_THRESHOLD entry was to be entered in MB not FPS. If the STALE_BUFFER is a separate config entry, can you enlighten me or point me to some discussion or documentation on the subject.Thanks
Sorry for the confusion, it is STALE_BUFFER_THRESHOLD.And yes, 'initially' I said it was bytes, but Ryan confirmed the valid ranges to me (5-1024) and default being '60'Ryan never told me if this was a 'frames per second' value I assumed it to be 'frames' (specially, because of the default value). This, is the only 'objective', fact based info I have from a credible source, everything else is just speculation.Ryan source pointed out that higher values will make the card work 'harder' and that '60' was the default because it was the max FPS that could be achieved, realisticly STALE_BUFFER_THRESHOLD will NOT produce any visual, objective measurable benefit.. so, if you wish, simply ignore it. I decided to set it to '30' because it's the max achievable FPS I can have (external frame rate limiter). FPS fluctuates because there is too much info in the video card being pumped by the CPU, and the 'only' way to control this is:1-. flip queue/frame ahead (so the card does't accept more than 1 frame ahead) you can also set this to 0!!2-. STALE_BUFFER_THRESHOLD set to 30 so my card doesn't read (or assume) there is more info for it to process. The above will reduce the 'overall' FPS, but it will also help your GPU doesn't get ahead of your CPU by much. Again, there is MUCH more to this than the simple explanation above, but the above is the 'source' of my recomendation regarding STALE_BUFFER_THRESHOLD.

New settings are working well.  All tiles seem to resolve.  If I slew to another location, the tiles will not load until I do a scenery refresh but that is no big deal.Anyway a step in the right direction with external limiter @30.  A slight OC(850) increase on the 460GTX seems to help.  BTW my LOD is 8.5.Stay tuned.jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

Here are my 'not very scientific' findings. I did the tweaks as per instructions. Fired up FSX and was immediately struck by a greater smoothness than I have so far experienced. That is not to say I was dissatisfied by the looks or performance before but it was definately nicer. Then I realised I hadn't used the external limiter doohickey! :( So I restarted FSX via the limiter @ 30fps. Guess what, it was worse! Slightly jittery, not enough to be too 'in yer face' but there nevertheless. Reverted to the normal unlimited and smoothness and loveliness returned. :( So, super settings without the external job.
A setting of 30 did not work best for me either. External set to 40 fps works best for me.

Some of the OTHER settings in nVidia Inspector 1.94 seem to have an effect on FSX.  What does Dynamic Tiling do in FSX?  I also turned off the default swap interval flag that seemed to help.172Image5.pngjja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

Same feeling here. Strange, no?
I have Psychic powers amigo! ;) Still waiting for the Roadie warriors to show up... they are taking longer than usual lol!

*******,I tried the settings using the f-18. I'm not sure if they helped. I can't say they hurt either.

Hi,Thanks for the clarification. The only thing I've noticed trying this all day is, I get additional studders at a TextureMaxLoad=60 this seems to smooth out if I reduce it to 30.Anyone else notice this, my system specs below.

Sorry for the confusion, it is STALE_BUFFER_THRESHOLD.And yes, 'initially' I said it was bytes, but Ryan confirmed the valid ranges to me (5-1024) and default being '60'Ryan never told me if this was a 'frames per second' value I assumed it to be 'frames' (specially, because of the default value). This, is the only 'objective', fact based info I have from a credible source, everything else is just speculation.Ryan source pointed out that higher values will make the card work 'harder' and that '60' was the default because it was the max FPS that could be achieved, realisticly STALE_BUFFER_THRESHOLD will NOT produce any visual, objective measurable benefit.. so, if you wish, simply ignore it. I decided to set it to '30' because it's the max achievable FPS I can have (external frame rate limiter). FPS fluctuates because there is too much info in the video card being pumped by the CPU, and the 'only' way to control this is:1-. flip queue/frame ahead (so the card does't accept more than 1 frame ahead) you can also set this to 0!!2-. STALE_BUFFER_THRESHOLD set to 30 so my card doesn't read (or assume) there is more info for it to process. The above will reduce the 'overall' FPS, but it will also help your GPU doesn't get ahead of your CPU by much. Again, there is MUCH more to this than the simple explanation above, but the above is the 'source' of my recomendation regarding STALE_BUFFER_THRESHOLD.

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

Although I dont experience the blurries I decided to give the tweek a try and see what happens. No ill effects for me on my system as well as any positive as far as I can tell. The only tweek that has ever made any real impact for me is the rejectthreshold tweek.

Jim Wenham

Hi,Thanks for the clarification. The only thing I've noticed trying this all day is, I get additional studders at a TextureMaxLoad=60 this seems to smooth out if I reduce it to 30.Anyone else notice this, my system specs below.
Regarding stutters, can you tell me where you tested? is it the New York area?

Makes sense. The higher that value, the more textures are pushed to the card every frame. But if you lower it too much, then you'll get white flashes for having SWAP_WAIT_TIMEOUT=2 I would suggest to use 30 as a minimum (in fact, its the value I had too) I don't know why I publish 60!!

Guest freebird77
I have Psychic powers amigo! ;) Still waiting for the Roadie warriors to show up... they are taking longer than usual lol!
:( B) :( :( Black%20Eye.gif B)

B) :( :( Black%20Eye.gif B)
:( Nice seing you back here anyway :--)

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.