Sign in to follow this  
Mike T

3 Flight Trailers puts rumors to rest

Uhh...you know - freeware? All of the great stuff you can get from the file libraries here and at other FS sites? Have you never looked at the free stuff in the hobby? "Pay to play" is going to seriously limit the content you will get to choose from.
LOL I know what I was saying is I did not know Flight had a freeware side.....I know all about freeware fopr FSX.To me Flight will be a new ball game....I can't imagine them investing more $$$ (remember they closed Aces) fixing the bugs in FSX like popping trees, (making it SLI compatible and maybe more like usiing hyperthreading) in something we can all use by paying a little fee and use all the addons we have already....it just does not make good business senses to me......Listen, maybe I'm off my rockers here but to me if it walk like a duck, quack like duck, and look like a duck........well guess what.....it's a freeking duck.

1: Alpha or not do you see a plane with a wheel sinking in the runway in the last vid.? Where else did you see that before....you'r right FSX ...will they fix this :( ....probably.....still the same engine is it not?New engine with the same :( .....Shame%20On%20You.gif
This is fairly silly reasoning to believe that Flight is the same engine as FSX. Almost every game exhibits behavior of interpenetratng geometry if you look hard\close enough. There are plenty of other better reasons for concluding from the video that they are from similar code. Calling Microsoft Flight, FSX SP3, is like calling FSX, Microsoft Flight Simulator 1 SP25. You might as well be calling Flight, MFS SP28.

This is fairly silly reasoning to believe that Flight is the same engine as FSX. Almost every game exhibits behavior of interpenetratng geometry if you look hard\close enough. There are plenty of other better reasons for concluding from the video that they are from similar code. Calling Microsoft Flight, FSX SP3, is like calling FSX, Microsoft Flight Simulator 1 SP25. You might as well be calling Flight, MFS SP28.
I understand what you'r saying....I myself would like to see a brand new engine for Flight.....where is it......show me where in any of their press release or vid. something remotly looking like a new engine.....I formed my opinion on what I can see right now.....will my opinion change if they release something new where I can see some evidence of a new engine.....you "betcha"......Prove me wrong about what I'm saying...show me something I missed, just don't say ity's silly reasonning.....I understand everybody is looking for a brand new out of the box engine with all the bells and whistles like we have in modern games....how desapointing will it be if it's not that......I myself is looking for something like that.....but for now it does not look like it....that's all I'm saying.....

To clarify my question about freeware...I am asking you what is it's future with Flight? In the system you steadfastly claim is how it will be I'd be willing to guess that the writing is on the wall for truly free additions to Flight.

To clarify my question about freeware...I am asking you what is it's future with Flight? In the system you steadfastly claim is how it will be I'd be willing to guess that the writing is on the wall for truly free additions to Flight.
To that I don't really have an answer.....I think it will be up to the dev. to give free stuff.....I don't think somebody will be able to make freeware to be included in Flight like we see with FSX...if they can what ever I wrote before just went out the window......just speculation on my part.

I understand everybody is looking for a brand new out of the box engine with all the bells and whistles like we have in modern games....
I don't understand how you know what everybody else is thinking? You can't speak for me. I've never thought or mentioned that FSvNext would be a revolutionary product. If you were to go back and look at my postings you would see that I consider it to be an evolutionary product, built upon the foundation of FSX.Yet you spend a lot of time pounding away at your keyboard posting your thoughts / opinions, but I just wonder where's any fact is in them? I differentiate between scenery and terrain elements of the sim. One sits upon the other. Yet you've proclaimed that nothing from FSX will carry forward, that it will all be new and improved. What makes you think that? FSX contained a major change to the terrain workings of the sim, one that now conforms to the GIS industry standards. Yet you want to say it's all going to be scrapped and something that doesn't conform to industry standards will take it's place? Facts, please?Opinions are nice, seems everyone has them. Credible opinions don't go spewing misinformation as though it's the gospel. But what do I know? There's a guy at FS Developer saying the Nintendo Wii controller will be how will interface with Flight... :(

Aren't you a previous ACES developer (TrainSim2)? Can you please expand upon your statement "There are plenty of other better reasons for concluding from the video that they are from similar code"?

Matthew S

@ meshman, if the glove does not fit ...so if you are or are not looking for a brand new engine that's ok with me......I'm looking for a new one but I don't see one.....again my opinion is based on what I see in the vid. and what I can read on MS press release....now if you see something remotly looking like a new engine please point it out to me......this is just my thoughts / opinions as I said in earlier post.Why do I think FTX will not be compatible with Flight.......did you read my earlier post......because (as a business man myself) I don't see any profit for MS and the dev. by doing so....I don't know how to explain it better it's all about $$$....give me just one good reason why they will pass on a lot of $$$...it just does not make sense to me.My opinion is not gospel...I'm just asking ....is what I'm saying so far off...... now take a back seat and look at it from a business man point of view...does it make sense for them to tweak the FSX engine (less $$ invested) to have it work with scenery not compatible with FSX and make money with it by chargin you a fee to get online and the resale of all the addons compatible with Flight only?....a big YES to me.Again my opinion is based on what I saw so far from MS.....and it's not gospel...take it or leave it....

give me just one good reason why they will pass on a lot of $$$...it just does not make sense to me.
1. There's no $$ in the budget to chase down some golden rainbow.2. There's not enough manpower to push the car, while trying to chase down some golden rainbow.I guess I'm blessed/cursed by a large amount of logic and skepticism, because your business model of "change everything just to see if we can increase profits" doesn't pass the logic test. And I personally do not think Microsoft is run by a bunch of dunces, no matter the level of decision making. Your business model was tried before. Since it didn't work for Combat Flight Simulator 3, I'm hoping there's still some people around Microsoft that remember that whole ordeal.Here's hoping to a bunch more solid data being released / shown by Microsoft as development proceeds. I'm pretty certain I'll be picking it up at Best Buy, just the same as I did for FSX. Maybe when I go over there I'll grab me one of the Nintendo Wii controllers that the one guy is sure we're going to need to enjoy the arcadish game that gets released... :(

Maybe when I go over there I'll grab me one of the Nintendo Wii controllers that the one guy is sure we're going to need to enjoy the arcadish game that gets released... :(
The arcade rumor was put to rest in December. Please don't get it started again! Nail%20Biting.gifFlight will not be arcade-style. Big%20Grin.gifI also hope to be able to go to Best Buy and get Flight when it's released. Having it in a box makes it twice as special. :(

Brandon Filer

1. There's no $$ in the budget to chase down some golden rainbow.2. There's not enough manpower to push the car, while trying to chase down some golden rainbow.I guess I'm blessed/cursed by a large amount of logic and skepticism, because your business model of "change everything just to see if we can increase profits" doesn't pass the logic test. And I personally do not think Microsoft is run by a bunch of dunces, no matter the level of decision making. Your business model was tried before. Since it didn't work for Combat Flight Simulator 3, I'm hoping there's still some people around Microsoft that remember that whole ordeal.Here's hoping to a bunch more solid data being released / shown by Microsoft as development proceeds. I'm pretty certain I'll be picking it up at Best Buy, just the same as I did for FSX. Maybe when I go over there I'll grab me one of the Nintendo Wii controllers that the one guy is sure we're going to need to enjoy the arcadish game that gets released... :(
OK time will tell.....and if I'm wrong based on what I saw from MS so far I'll be the first one to admit it......Quote: Here's hoping to a bunch more solid data being released / shown by Microsoft as development proceeds ......> So far I agree with your statement but you still have not show me anything from what was released so far by MS to make me change my mind........I'm always up for a good debate.....:( So let's wait until the next press release or vid. from MS to see what kind of new engine they are using He%20He.gif ........ without any of the FSX bugs...

Or even better...let's wait until it's well into beta and close to actually being released. Until then all of this is pretty much pointless.

The arcade rumor was put to rest in December. Please don't get it started again! Nail%20Biting.gifFlight will not be arcade-style. Big%20Grin.gifI also hope to be able to go to Best Buy and get Flight when it's released. Having it in a box makes it twice as special. :(
Meshman was referring to someone in another forum who claimed Flight will be controlled by a Nintendo device. See post #51

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

Can you please expand upon your statement "There are plenty of other better reasons for concluding from the video that they are from similar code"?
I just meant similar in the same way that FSX is similar to FS9. It is probably easier to see some of the similarities in the screenshots than the video. People have already pointed some of them out (similar land class textures, for example).

I just meant similar in the same way that FSX is similar to FS9. It is probably easier to see some of the similarities in the screenshots than the video. People have already pointed some of them out (similar land class textures, for example).
Yes the land-class textures look identical. Flight IS an enhanced version of FSX and not an entirely new platform. Maybe this is a good things for developers in that it might be relatively easy to update their products to work with Flight.It would be in Microsoft's best interest to make the update process as easy as possible so that the Flight Marketplace can become populated with products quickly.

Matthew S

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.