Sign in to follow this  
stfitts

New FSX computer

Guest Tamadeez
Here's the key components in my view:1. Overclocked Intel Core i7 or Core i5 750 CPU - you need a good cooler to get it up to ~4GHz range2. A good motherboard that can handle the overclocking. (P55 for the i7 8xx or i5 series, X58 for the i7 9xx series)2. 4+GB of DDR3-1600 or higher RAM (multiples of 2 for a P55 board and multiples of 3 for the X58)3. GTX460 1GB or better video card4. A good strong power supply that can handle the overclocks and video card - I love the Corsair HX series.5. Windows 7 x64
+1I highly recommend i5-760 CPU. And O/C to 3.8. For full system stability. With a well researched cooler.

Auto voltage and overclocking is a big no-no
Oops, .. I have that :( I've all voltage on auto. What are you recommend settings for the voltages for the E6750 @ 3.2/3.6 GHz?Thanks in advantage!

Guest wims

It varies from chip to chip and system to system. Generally you want as low as possible voltage that is stable. To find this particular point is what overclocking is all about. I recommend setting you voltages to the default setting and put your clockspeed at the default as well, then increase the FSB by a few clicks, run stress test, if its stable, increase fsb, then run stress test etc. When its no longer stable you need to add some volt somewhere, usually for c2d its the vcore. Add a couple of notches of volt, then run stress tests again. Make sure that temperatures and voltages are within safe and acceptable limits. This is overclocking in a nutshell

Hi Everyone,Hope its ok if I add a question to this thread. Here are my system specs AMD phenom dual core system at 3.1GHz, nvidia GEFORCE 9500GT 2gig of DDR3 ram. I have a win7x64 os When running my PMDG 744X i get 20-28 frames inflight and between 12- 15 frames on ground. In crowded airports i may get as low as 7/8FPS ( I usually run with scenery and graphics set to medium but traffic set to full, my preference for realism). Im thinking of upgrading my ram to 4gb as i don't have the funds at the moment to upgrade all my hardware. How much performance boost can I reasonably expect if i increase my ram to 4gb.Kind regards Nanjul Dakat.

Hey guys.I'm sure this has been gone over a dozen times in this forum but I wanted to start my own thread and see where I land. I have been a diehard FS9 fan for a very long time. I never switched to FSX do to the 'bugginess' of it. The NGX is going to be a assume aircraft and I think I'm ready to make the switch. I built my FS9 rig and now I want to do the same with the new FSX pc. So what should I be looking at in terms of hardware? OS? I don't need a big flashy case or all sorts of lights in it. So what hardware and OS do you suggest I go with? ThanksPS Please list what frames you get with your system if you describe yours please. Thanks!
Just upgraded to I7 950 Default clock at 3.06 GHZ now OC'd to 4GHZ (air cooled, avg temp around 62c)....6 Gigs Corsair DDR3 1600MHZ RAM, still with my Nvidia 9800GTX vid card and lastly Vista Ultimate 64bit. I'm still testing, but all sliders near max except road traffic. Unfortunately airports like JFK, Heathrow, O'Hare, CDG etc (you get the picture), FPS stil hover around 9 - 12 with internal FSX FPS slider locked at 25 (having an external FPS limiter and internal FSX FPS slider set to unlimited would probably yield me an additional 4 -5 FPS...got to work on that). In flight FPS are the smoothest I've ever seen, again locked at 25. Stutters are completely gone even without the ******* and Ryan tweaks. REX 2.0, PMDG, Level D, Wilco Airbus 1&2, Wilco E-Jets for add-ons.

Dylan Charles

"The aircraft G-limits are only there in case there is another flight by that particular airplane. If subsequent flights do not appear likely, there are no G-limits."

Dylan,is that 62°C average or maximum temperature? If the former, it's way too hot.

Here's the key components in my view:1. Overclocked Intel Core i7 or Core i5 750 CPU - you need a good cooler to get it up to ~4GHz range2. A good motherboard that can handle the overclocking. (P55 for the i7 8xx or i5 series, X58 for the i7 9xx series)2. 4+GB of DDR3-1600 or higher RAM (multiples of 2 for a P55 board and multiples of 3 for the X58)3. GTX460 1GB or better video card4. A good strong power supply that can handle the overclocks and video card - I love the Corsair HX series.5. Windows 7 x64
+1 to this...this is similar to my set up and its beastly...and it's not even overclocked yet. Oh and another thing you may want to get is a modular psu because they are alot let clustered and get a good case for airflow...I recommend the antec 1200...and get some fast hds and maybe put them in raid 0 (if you have 2) or in raid 5 (if you have three or more...and raid 5 is really good also because it can run if one hd crashes.)

Guest wims
Hi Everyone,Hope its ok if I add a question to this thread. Here are my system specs AMD phenom dual core system at 3.1GHz, nvidia GEFORCE 9500GT 2gig of DDR3 ram. I have a win7x64 os When running my PMDG 744X i get 20-28 frames inflight and between 12- 15 frames on ground. In crowded airports i may get as low as 7/8FPS ( I usually run with scenery and graphics set to medium but traffic set to full, my preference for realism). Im thinking of upgrading my ram to 4gb as i don't have the funds at the moment to upgrade all my hardware. How much performance boost can I reasonably expect if i increase my ram to 4gb.Kind regards Nanjul Dakat.
Adding more RAM probably wont do much, if anything, to your framerate.

the i7 930, is the best money/power ratio out there, it is fantastic to overclock.the gtx 480 is the best card for fsx at this moment [new 580 on the way soon]

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

Further to the posts recommending 4gb of RAM, my two cents is to go for at least 6gb, 8 if possible. While it's true that Win7x64 will run smoothly and efficiently with "only" 4gb, you are still dividing that total up by all system processes running at any given time. To oversimplify, since FSX is a 32-bit thread running in wow, it will never take advantage of more than 4gb of your RAM. However, by installing more than 4gb you allow Windows to allocate the maximum usable RAM FSX will use while other processes/addons run in separate memory spaces in the remainder of your 6 or 8gb.Dan D.

Dan Dominik                                                                           

"I thought you said your dog does not bite....
                                                                That's not my dog."

Dylan,is that 62°C average or maximum temperature? If the former, it's way too hot.
Max temp (Let me add this is under a full CPU load) . CPU idles at 42c. Sorry if my previous post was ambiguous.

Dylan Charles

"The aircraft G-limits are only there in case there is another flight by that particular airplane. If subsequent flights do not appear likely, there are no G-limits."

the i7 930, is the best money/power ratio out there, it is fantastic to overclock.the gtx 480 is the best card for fsx at this moment [new 580 on the way soon]
Better Image quality and less screen flickering with ATi Radeon. I have the 5970 which is a dual GPU altho its way too much for FSX it makes up for it in games like Black Ops etc. I would definetly opt for a a ATi 5770 or the new 6 series as they are rather cheap :DJAMMUR

I'm considering an upgrade soon as well...Looking forward to the NGX. My concern is that I don't want to spend the money for a new system just to be disappointed by what I see on the screen. I've heard that the frame rates in FSX are not as important as in FS9. That even at lower frames the sim is still smooth. Some people have mentioned above that they are getting 23/24 fps with the PMDG J41. Is that acceptable performance? Is it smooth flying? I"m at a point now where I'm pretty happy with the performance I'm getting from FS 9 on my amd 4800 system. I'd like to know how close I could get to my current FS9 performance with a high end system with FX10.ThanksSteve g

Steve Giblin

I would wait for Sandybridge and the GeForce 500 series! Then, build a new computer.

I'm considering an upgrade soon as well...Looking forward to the NGX. My concern is that I don't want to spend the money for a new system just to be disappointed by what I see on the screen. I've heard that the frame rates in FSX are not as important as in FS9. That even at lower frames the sim is still smooth. Some people have mentioned above that they are getting 23/24 fps with the PMDG J41. Is that acceptable performance? Is it smooth flying? I"m at a point now where I'm pretty happy with the performance I'm getting from FS 9 on my amd 4800 system. I'd like to know how close I could get to my current FS9 performance with a high end system with FX10.ThanksSteve g
Anything higher than 25 FPS, the human eye is unable to discern anyway. So 23/24 FPS is perfect.

Dylan Charles