Sign in to follow this  
darem

THIS changed FSX for me

Steve, sorry to keep throwing questions at you, but twice IF has dropped me on a taxiway instead of at a gate at Aerosoft Mega Amsterdam (EHAM). I have double-checked for possible Afcad issues and always reindex IF after each update.ThanksDavid

Steve, sorry to keep throwing questions at you, but twice IF has dropped me on a taxiway instead of at a gate at Aerosoft Mega Amsterdam (EHAM). I have double-checked for possible Afcad issues and always reindex IF after each update.ThanksDavid
Hi David,I'm still massaging in addon airports.Thanks for bringing EHAM to my attention, I expect there is something cropping up reading the parking places.Steve

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Yes but when the waypoints are not from FSX, ATC is useless. I'm not sure many people go through that trouble even if they don't use ATC.IF presents a near infinite set of routes for every plane, automatically geared to the plane with the most.accurate ETA and fuel calculation available. Personally, to get that, I would forego really real waypoints and be happy with the unreal FSX subset - they are after all only several alternative lat lon locations.Steve
Not sure that ATC is "useless" without waypoints that are in FSX what about Radar Contact? Anyhow I tend not to use ATC these days got tired of having canned American accents when 90% of my flying is in Australia (with Orbx scenery). Even Radar Contact has some annoying hassles. A few other questions.To what extent does IF take into account terrain when preparing flightplans? One of the attractions of using Plan-G is that you can easily prepare a flightplan that takes you safely into airports surrounded by high terrain.With complex aircraft such as the PMDG 747/LDS 767 to what extent does IF program the FMC so that you can just "click and fly"?In calculating fuel burn does IF take into account wind at altitude (also part of programing the FMC in some aircraft).ThanksBruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Not sure that ATC is "useless" without waypoints that are in FSX what about Radar Contact? Anyhow I tend not to use ATC these days got tired of having canned American accents when 90% of my flying is in Australia (with Orbx scenery). Even Radar Contact has some annoying hassles. A few other questions.To what extent does IF take into account terrain when preparing flightplans? One of the attractions of using Plan-G is that you can easily prepare a flightplan that takes you safely into airports surrounded by high terrain.With complex aircraft such as the PMDG 747/LDS 767 to what extent does IF program the FMC so that you can just "click and fly"?In calculating fuel burn does IF take into account wind at altitude (also part of programing the FMC in some aircraft).ThanksBruceb
Hi Bruce,Perhaps not entirely useless maybe, but ATC will stick to its own plan as much as possible.FSX ATC is often misunderstood, and used incorrectly can leave you with repeating messages about climbing when you want to descend and other annoyances.IF can smooth this over slightly because another IF feature is to be able to reset the plan & ATC mid-flight, if you lose or confuse ATC.Generally ATC does a good job avoiding high terrain if you stick to a plan it understands. IF plans are built to comply with FSX ATC, the TOD is included to remind you so you can go without ATC.On the whole I think FSX ATC is perfectly adequate, it allows me to fill in with my own imagination. The voices are OK, I’ve not yet got fed up because they sound the same. It would be nice to have voices from more regions around the world though.IF treats all aircraft as generic FSX. Therefore addon aircraft with systems other than the default FSX systems are not specially programmed, you will still have to do that.In the same manner, aircraft with special loading programs may not be fully loadable by IF because of their unique additions to the .FLT file. Although most are loadable just as the stock FSX aircraft are, some are not and you will have to pull down their menu and add the payload weight as the briefing suggests for the calculation.IF understands the terrain, and flight plans keep you above it, but you will need to study the approach requirements for any airport as usual. IF takes into account IF weather and winds for the ETA and Fuel Calculation but not for external weather (for the time being).Best regards;Steve

Hi Bruce,Perhaps not entirely useless maybe, but ATC will stick to its own plan as much as possible.FSX ATC is often misunderstood, and used incorrectly can leave you with repeating messages about climbing when you want to descend and other annoyances.IF can smooth this over slightly because another IF feature is to be able to reset the plan & ATC mid-flight, if you lose or confuse ATC.Generally ATC does a good job avoiding high terrain if you stick to a plan it understands. IF plans are built to comply with FSX ATC, the TOD is included to remind you so you can go without ATC.On the whole I think FSX ATC is perfectly adequate, it allows me to fill in with my own imagination. The voices are OK, I’ve not yet got fed up because they sound the same. It would be nice to have voices from more regions around the world though.IF treats all aircraft as generic FSX. Therefore addon aircraft with systems other than the default FSX systems are not specially programmed, you will still have to do that.In the same manner, aircraft with special loading programs may not be fully loadable by IF because of their unique additions to the .FLT file. Although most are loadable just as the stock FSX aircraft are, some are not and you will have to pull down their menu and add the payload weight as the briefing suggests for the calculation.IF understands the terrain, and flight plans keep you above it, but you will need to study the approach requirements for any airport as usual. IF takes into account IF weather and winds for the ETA and Fuel Calculation but not for external weather (for the time being).Best regards;Steve
ThanksDoes IF work with Radar Contact?I think one thing that might better aid in evaluating IF is changing the demo mode to a fully functioning version that is time limited either on a session length basis as FSC does or 2 - 3 weeks before a licence needs to be purchased if you want to continue using the program as is common practice with other programs.Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

I use IF with Radar Contact. The only thing you have to remember when you fire RC up is to use IFlight.pln as the flight plan, which you find in the usual folder.

ThanksDoes IF work with Radar Contact?I think one thing that might better aid in evaluating IF is changing the demo mode to a fully functioning version that is time limited either on a session length basis as FSC does or 2 - 3 weeks before a licence needs to be purchased if you want to continue using the program as is common practice with other programs.Bruceb
Hello again Bruce,A fully functioning IF would be nice but I would have to stop you reinstalling it.If it time bombs in 3-4 weeks; what if you did not get round to trying it sufficiently?If it runs out after half an hour of use; you don’t get to finish your flight and get de-briefed. You will get a popup at least once an hour, but you can un-pause and continue. It’s nag-ware.Instead you can install IF as often as you like. You get to see everything you need to see. C&D settings are unavailable but I think we all know the difference between engines started or not. No intersections are in the plans, but again, not too hard to imagine.I know it’s not the normal way of doing things but IF is different enough to warrant a different approach, everything it does has been thought out from the ground up and its demo mode has served the purpose well.Best regards;Steve
I use IF with Radar Contact. The only thing you have to remember when you fire RC up is to use IFlight.pln as the flight plan, which you find in the usual folder.
Thanks for helping :-)

Maybe I am just daft but how do you clear all the data to set up a new profile? I am confused. I can't delete the default.

Maybe I am just daft but how do you clear all the data to set up a new profile? I am confused. I can't delete the default.
When you delete the last profile it recreates a default one so there is at least one to edit.You can also delete the profile folder in explorer and start again.Steve

When you delete the last profile it recreates a default one so there is at least one to edit.You can also delete the profile folder in explorer and start again.Steve
Thanks Steve. So a 45 minte flight would be expressed as .75? Nevermind...that appears to be right.

Thanks Steve. So a 45 minte flight would be expressed as .75? Nevermind...that appears to be right.
Yes it's always been expressed as "flight hours" so far.

Hi Steve,Running the latest version K"C", little confused about the flight planning. Trying a flight from CYXU -> CYAM, IFR, and no matter what I select in "Plan Builder" I always get a direct flight. It doesn't follow airways, or vor to vor. There is a vor Wiarton "YVV" 117.7 that's between CYXU and CYAM yet it doesn't seem to know it's there. Can you try it and see what you get. If I try CYXU -> CYYB with the same settings it does see "YEE" which it should. ThanksGlen edit: I do re-index after every update.

Gigabyte z590 UD - i5 11600k 4.9 GHz - 64gb 3600 MHz ram - RTX 3070 ti - multiple ssd - 34" 3440x1440 100 Hz Curved - Saitek Yoke Pedals Throttle Quadrant x2 - TM T16000m x2 Throttle - Win 11 Pro

Hi Steve,Running the latest version K"C", little confused about the flight planning. Trying a flight from CYXU -> CYAM, IFR, and no matter what I select in "Plan Builder" I always get a direct flight. It doesn't follow airways, or vor to vor. There is a vor Wiarton "YVV" 117.7 that's between CYXU and CYAM yet it doesn't seem to know it's there. Can you try it and see what you get. If I try CYXU -> CYYB with the same settings it does see "YEE" which it should. ThanksGlen edit: I do re-index after every update.
1. Try a plane that flies low airways.2. Try "Follow airways", you may only have intersections on that route segment. It won't jump routes just cos theres a VOR over there. :-)Steve

the VOR CY YVV comes up between CYXU and CYAM if you choose a Beech Baron:Airport CY CYXU 8.8 9:38 27.3 - 912 2000 - Other - TOC 8.8 23:09 76.0 27.3 8000 2000 - VOR 117.70 CY YVV 315.4 50:22 165.4 103.4 8000 3000 V300 Other - TOD 313.2 3:35 12.0 268.8 8000 3000 - Airport CY CYAM - - - 280.7 630 2000 - Anyway, I have an upgrade planned for the route engine...Thanks for bringing this up Glen.Steve

Thanks Steve,I should have mentioned that I was using the Realair Turbine Duke. Will try with other aircraft, although it won't be as much fun.:biggrin:Glen

Gigabyte z590 UD - i5 11600k 4.9 GHz - 64gb 3600 MHz ram - RTX 3070 ti - multiple ssd - 34" 3440x1440 100 Hz Curved - Saitek Yoke Pedals Throttle Quadrant x2 - TM T16000m x2 Throttle - Win 11 Pro