Sign in to follow this  
RudiJG1

Something's in the air...

The Turbo Duke is on approach.....sweet!RealAir Duke turbo
You should have said "Turbine" - "Turbo" and "Turbine" are two completely different things (the original Duke is already a "turbo")

David Porrett

Hey all,I've got a question about this new beauty .... I'm not a real world pilot so please forgive me my ignorance on the matter, but:1) I CAN understand the shortened take-off distance, obviously due to the increased horsepower which brings the plane faster to its rotation speed (at least that's what I presume is the reason)2) However, if someone could shed some light on the reason why the landing distance gets shortened from 3000 to 900 feet ! Cause I don't see why. As far as I know, the landing distance on propeller planes is solely influenced by the aerodynamics of the airframe ? Can't see how the engines play a factor here, as there no "reverse thrust", right ? Or am I completely missing the point here ?I'd really like to know the technical reason which makes this baby land on a dime biggrin.gifThanks

Mathieu Souphy

That is pretty special, not sure what would get my pulse racing faster - the performance or the overhaul cost !!! :( G
-----------------------------------Yeah...I almost spritzed my coffee over the monitor when reading the overhaul cost at $200,000.00!~!Ownership of this bird in real life is for the rich, no hand's down!

Hey all,I've got a question about this new beauty .... I'm not a real world pilot so please forgive me my ignorance on the matter, but:1) I CAN understand the shortened take-off distance, obviously due to the increased horsepower which brings the plane faster to its rotation speed (at least that's what I presume is the reason)2) However, if someone could shed some light on the reason why the landing distance gets shortened from 3000 to 900 feet ! Cause I don't see why. As far as I know, the landing distance on propeller planes is solely influenced by the aerodynamics of the airframe ? Can't see how the engines play a factor here, as there no "reverse thrust", right ? Or am I completely missing the point here ?I'd really like to know the technical reason which makes this baby land on a dime biggrin.gifThanks
BUMP^^^^ Great Question!!

Check out this video for part of the explanation:
Thanks for the link, will check out tonight.Searched a bit deeper myself and found this articlehttp://www.wingsmaga...nt/view/513/38/where following sentence might be the clue
Two variants of the PA-46 turbine conversion are offered: the JetProp DL and DLX. The DL includes a new, 550-hp PT- 6A-21 engine and costs US$459,900. The DLX’s price is US$50,000 more because of the 560-hp PT- 6A-35 (de-rated from 750 hp). Both conversions include a new four-blade Hartzell reversing propeller, two batteries, a custom-made cowling, and more.
So "reverse thrust" on props does in fact exist if the blade angles can be set to negative values Thinking.gifGood to know :-)

Mathieu Souphy

Thanks for the link, will check out tonight.Searched a bit deeper myself and found this articlehttp://www.wingsmaga...nt/view/513/38/where following sentence might be the clueSo "reverse thrust" on props does in fact exist if the blade angles can be set to negative values Thinking.gifGood to know :-)
Just last weekend I took a trip on a single Otter float plane in Malta and it could actually go backwards using the beta range, on the water that is, not in the air!John

You should have said "Turbine" - "Turbo" and "Turbine" are two completely different things (the original Duke is already a "turbo")
Turbines are quite often referred to as Turbo-props which is what he probably meant

Replying to the 900 feet landing distance question: This is just about possible, but requires very quick and deft deployment of Beta/Reverse prop mode the second the main wheels touch, and requires the landing to be very close to minimum speed. The reverse mode automatically reverses the prop angle by pulling the throttles back from the idle detente then fully back to max reverse. In FSX there is a slight delay so you have to be quick! But it is possible with practise.Rob - RealAir

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Replying to the 900 feet landing distance question: This is just about possible, but requires very quick and deft deployment of Beta/Reverse prop mode the second the main wheels touch, and requires the landing to be very close to minimum speed. The reverse mode automatically reverses the prop angle by pulling the throttles back from the idle detente then fully back to max reverse. In FSX there is a slight delay so you have to be quick! But it is possible with practise.Rob - RealAir
OK Mr Young....now you are being mean and just teasing Us!! :( LOL!! Please hurry so we can practice!!

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/