Sign in to follow this  
jwenham

Thinking about trying VATSIM

I have been recently thinking about trying VATSIM and am wondering what is the better of the 2 clients FSInn or Squawkbox? ALso lookin at the VATSIM website is a bit overwhelming to say the least. What is the most important thing to learn first about using VATSIM? Any other important items I need to know about as well is much appreciated.Jim

Jim Wenham

I like FSInn because it was very simple to setup on a networked computer so it does not interfere with AA or VSYNC on my FSX computer.

Either one works. I use SB4. It can also run on a networked PC.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest veeray

I use FSInn as well... the most important thing is to have fun, but do take it seriously. Also "NEWBIE" must be in your comments / flight plan remarks. Other than that make sure you can read charts..

FSInn has a weather bug that sets temperatures aloft in ranges that defy the laws of physics.Aside from that, the only issue I've found with either is that FSInn causes FS to crash for me whereas SquawkBox doesn't.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

FSInn has a weather bug that sets temperatures aloft in ranges that defy the laws of physics.Aside from that, the only issue I've found with either is that FSInn causes FS to crash for me whereas SquawkBox doesn't.
I have both those issues in FSInn when I used it, but didn't want to specifically write that because I believe either program will work most of the time hehe.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I have been recently thinking about trying VATSIM and am wondering what is the better of the 2 clients FSInn or Squawkbox? ALso lookin at the VATSIM website is a bit overwhelming to say the least. What is the most important thing to learn first about using VATSIM? Any other important items I need to know about as well is much appreciated.Jim
Hey Jim, the first thing I would suggest is study some of there material in the PRC (Pilot resource center) available on there website, also login as an observer and just listen to the communication going on between pilots and atc to get the feel for it, one thing I have learned through my many mistakes and yes there have been a few, is know your aircraft inside and out, all its features and how to control it, that way its one less thing you have worry about and you can concentrate on atc instructions. It can be intimidating at first but don't sit on the sideline for to long, just jump in and do your best.

...is know your aircraft inside and out, all its features and how to control it, that way its one less thing you have worry about and you can concentrate on atc instructions. It can be intimidating at first but don't sit on the sideline for to long, just jump in and do your best.
This is excellent advice. Don't worry about the talking online thing... it's just a simulation lol. But know how to ident with your plane or tune a radial or change a frequency. The PRC has some good information but don't feel overwhelmed - vatsim is basically like default FSX ATC but more realistic. PRC link: http://www.vatsim.net/prc/To be honest I've never looked at the PRC but that's because I'm a pilot and controller irl... so if you have any rw aviation background you're already a step ahead of the flight sim geeks haha!If flying in the USA use sky vector and naco site for charts and metar/taf readings:http://skyvector.com/http://aeronav.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=aeronav/applications/d_tppAviationweather (formally ADDS) is also a great site for weather and winds aloft:http://aviationweather.gov/What I'd do for my first time is login as normal, pick your favorite callsign and aircraft type, and just tune in a facility and listen to what is said. Oh, use VatSpy to find which facilities are online:http://www.metacraft.com/VATSpy/edit: oh one more thing - DO NOT start on a runway, only a ramp or gate.And have fun!!!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

IMHO, VATSIM is a great network regardless of what client you use.FSInn: Has all the Bells and whistles including built in weather generator, etc. This is useful if you do not have your own weather program such as Active Sky Evolution, REX, etc.SB4: Simple easy to use client that basically connects you the network and allows you to communicate with ATC and see other aircraft.I use SquawkBox, simply because all I need is a simple client and wouldn't use any of the features of FS-Inn.

CXA001-1.jpg

VATSIM: P2 | I1

Guest 747-fan

Client isn't important. I use both, depending on what I feel like. FSInn is more advanced but can be a bit confusing at first, Squawkbox is easier but also less advanced. Before your first flight, I strongly advice you DL a traffic monitoring program like Servinfo or Vatspy, then find a manned airport with a lot of traffic on it. Then load up on a slot at the GA apron (NOT ON THE ACTIVE RW), fire up your vatsim client and tune into the tower frequency. Do nothing, just sit there and hear how it works. Then perhaps you can do a com check like "Tower, N12345 radio check" and you'll hear him say "N12345 i read you 5/5". Bingo that's your first communication on VATSIM.Next would be to file a flightplan for something simple like a couple of touch and goes, but for your first visit to VATSIM I'd simply load up on the apron and make sure everything works.

Thanks to ALL for the great info and advice. I see alot of you run the client on a networked computer. Is this the best way to run it? I do have another computer on my home network so I could try that if it is best. I have been watching some of the videos on youtube about VATSIM and have found a few vids that were excellent. I will take the suggestion to just sit and listen first and learn as much as I can before I jump in and botch things up! LOL! Jim

Jim Wenham

Thanks to ALL for the great info and advice. I see alot of you run the client on a networked computer. Is this the best way to run it?
I can't speak for FSInn, but I run SquawkBox (as well as a bunch of other stuff) off a second PC. This frees up a lot of resources for FS and in the case of SquawkBox it eliminates a known bug that exists for some when it is running on the same PC as FSX.

CXA001-1.jpg

VATSIM: P2 | I1

Thanks to ALL for the great info and advice. I see alot of you run the client on a networked computer. Jim
Hi Jim,Thats also the most reliable way to do it. I personally run SB on a second PC (laptop) it connects to my main computer via Simconnect and is fairly easy to setup.I have used both FSInn and SB. My experience with FSInn was not good, but I missed some of the features so did my own mods for SB so I have everything I need in SB4 now.

Hi Jim,Thats also the most reliable way to do it. I personally run SB on a second PC (laptop) it connects to my main computer via Simconnect and is fairly easy to setup.
The only problem is that you need to use your mic on the networked PC. I decided to not network SB4 because I run track IR with the TCP and the software runs off my primary rig and my mic and TCP are connected.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

The only problem is that you need to use your mic on the networked PC. I decided to not network SB4 because I run track IR with the TCP and the software runs off my primary rig and my mic and TCP are connected.
I purchased a Y cable from radio shack. One goes to the main PC, the other one is the cable I connect to my laptop mic input, likewise, the 'output' from the laptop goes INTO the line-in of the main PC, so sound-wise everything is connected and nicely integrated.What I simply have to do everytime I'm flying online is connect the two (input/output) cables and voila. The good thing about this setup is that I can record ATC comunications when creating Flight sim videos such as this:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGBJ-yI4MSo