Sign in to follow this  
Benjamin J

DCS: A-10C

Hey guys,Seems like DCS: A-10C has been released. I was wondering if anybody bought it and can share opinions. I have been a long time fan of the A-10A, mainly thanks to combat flight sims like A-10 Cuba and A-10 Attack which I played when I was a kid (and would have still played if I could run it on my computer, but new OS means old software doesn't run anymore. Virtualization isn't much of an option either...). For all I know, DCS A-10C looks like a terrific sim. The detail of the systems is enormous, a good training module is available and the graphics look great; looks like it can't lose! Still, the price is 60 dollars. For 60 dollars, I do not wish to take a gamble. So, if anybody can advise me, I'm listening.Here's the link: http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/series/warthog/

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

Hey guys,Seems like DCS: A-10C has been released. I was wondering if anybody bought it and can share opinions. I have been a long time fan of the A-10A, mainly thanks to combat flight sims like A-10 Cuba and A-10 Attack which I played when I was a kid (and would have still played if I could run it on my computer, but new OS means old software doesn't run anymore. Virtualization isn't much of an option either...). For all I know, DCS A-10C looks like a terrific sim. The detail of the systems is enormous, a good training module is available and the graphics look great; looks like it can't lose! Still, the price is 60 dollars. For 60 dollars, I do not wish to take a gamble. So, if anybody can advise me, I'm listening.Here's the link: http://www.digitalco...series/warthog/
To give a quick answer to your question, 60$ for this game is way to cheap, this is a civilian version of a sim ED made for the US Airforce to use as a desktop trainer for their A10 pilots. Everything is simulated to the tiniest detail, even the wheel friction on wet/snowy/dry surface is simulated.Hope this answers your question :)

Agreed, those 60$ won't be wasted! It obviously isn't a jump in and fly game, but almost every aspect is simulated as good as possible!

Fabrizio Sassi

Got the Warthog hotas recently, mostly for helicopter flying. But all those shiny buttons, and all those positive reviews make me go for the DCS A-10 now.B

Right, that's an easy choice then. I'll have to buy it blush.gif

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

Right, that's an easy choice then. I'll have to buy it blush.gif
I just bought it on Direct2Drive.Do a Google search and you can find a 10 percent off coupon for Direct2Drive.I'll probably never have time to even come close to mastering this product due to limited time, but it's really important that we support developers like DCS because they're the last of the hard-core combat sim developers and without them all we'd have left is stuff like Tom Clancy's HAWKS.Cheers,

I purchased it via the pre-order beta last year that gave you access to the beta builds and have been using the sim since then.All I can say is this software is worth every penny. It is without a doubt the most impressive military flight sim available today. You will need to put in some serious hours of study and learning to get the most out of it. They have modelled the A-10C in excruciating detail. Bear in mind though it is the A-10C which is a very different beast to the A-10A.The only caveat with the final release version is a CTD bug with the control options screen. If you try to assign a new key or joystick command to function which already has one the sim will CTD. The solution is to clear the existing assignment before making the new one. Hopefully it will get fixed soon enough.Buy it. And if you can afford it buy Black Shark too. Eagle Dynamics are the only people out there right now producing this kind of sim and deserve all the support they can get. They plan to expand the series to include more aircraft, and there is already a lot of speculation as to which aircraft they might make next.

I bought it yesterday at the DCS e-shop. When I started the first training, the program just crashed. However, after I checked the option to run it in admin mode, everything worked fine ever since. I've been going through the start-up training. Two things:- Finally, a useful training!- WOW!The moment I started flipping switches to get the APU running I thought "This is what I wanted and what I needed." This sim seems great to me. Can't say that the graphics of the terrain and such are top notch, but the plane itself is incredibly impressive, and the detail of the simulation is enormous. What a great sim, and I have hardly any experience with it yet...You know what? I paid 60 dollars. That's like 45 euros. This isn't just a "deal", this is a steal! I'll finally be flying the A-10 again, and I'll be doing it in style. What a relief laugh.gif Of course, I still have to fly that MD-82 back to KJFK...By the way, is the C really that different from the A? Looking around the cockpit, I see updated avionics (two brand new MFD's), but the exterior design of the aircraft seems pretty much the same, and that actually seems to true for most of the cockpit as well. Heck, an analog ADI? Gotta be a souvenir from the old days...

Benjamin van Soldt

I bought it yesterday at the DCS e-shop. When I started the first training, the program just crashed. However, after I checked the option to run it in admin mode, everything worked fine ever since. I've been going through the start-up training. Two things:- Finally, a useful training!- WOW!The moment I started flipping switches to get the APU running I thought "This is what I wanted and what I needed." This sim seems great to me. Can't say that the graphics of the terrain and such are top notch, but the plane itself is incredibly impressive, and the detail of the simulation is enormous. What a great sim, and I have hardly any experience with it yet...You know what? I paid 60 dollars. That's like 45 euros. This isn't just a "deal", this is a steal! I'll finally be flying the A-10 again, and I'll be doing it in style. What a relief laugh.gif Of course, I still have to fly that MD-82 back to KJFK...By the way, is the C really that different from the A? Looking around the cockpit, I see updated avionics (two brand new MFD's), but the exterior design of the aircraft seems pretty much the same, and that actually seems to true for most of the cockpit as well. Heck, an analog ADI? Gotta be a souvenir from the old days...
It might be not so different from a purely mechanical point of view, but when you start to learn the avionics more you'll see that it is infact quite a complex machine to use properly and that the MFDs, albeit being the most visible, are far from being the only changes! :-) Glad you're enjoying it!

Fabrizio Sassi

It might be not so different from a purely mechanical point of view, but when you start to learn the avionics more you'll see that it is infact quite a complex machine to use properly and that the MFDs, albeit being the most visible, are far from being the only changes! :-) Glad you're enjoying it!
I second that... I've been playing with it on and off for the last 24 hours... pretty amazing sim... certainly not for the casual gamer though who doesn't like manuals... I was impressed to note even the fan blades in the engine will turn if the engines aren't on and the wind is strong enough :( Question is: Why can't DCS make a civilian sim? Guess they don't want to go head to head with MS... but it'd be interesting to see what they could do...

IQuestion is: Why can't DCS make a civilian sim? Guess they don't want to go head to head with MS... but it'd be interesting to see what they could do...
I second this notion!I'm loving the sim as well, and am highly impressed with the attention to detail that was taken by the design team. If anyone is on the fence, take the leap and buy it, you won't be dissapointed!

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

How's the frame rate? Sim looks great.

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

I have an E5200 with 2GB RAM on Win 7 x64 and it's fine for me - not on maximum settings obviously, but it looks good and flies great.

I have a quad i5 @ 2,79gHz, and with many things rather high I do find some stuttering. However, I have to say that I haven't even taken off yet, so I can't really say how the sim works when "in motion". Looking around the cockpit all has been fine though (far better than FSX anyway).

Benjamin van Soldt