Sign in to follow this  
TechguyMaxC

What's your list of FSX "must have" add-ons?

Please separate into 3 categories:PlanesSceneryOther (example: FSUIPC or FS2Crew)I'm most interested in finding out what the perceived "best" airliners and high-res scenery are.

I'll play (scans the backup drive)AircraftAnything A2A + accusim, I currently own the P47 and Piper J3Ants Tecnam SierraI'll just put "Carenado" here, I own and enjoy many of their ACEaglesoft Citation XFSLabs Concorde XLevelD 767Lotus L39Nemeth MD902 (If you like helos)Orbx LancairPMDG - EverythingRealair - EverythingSibwings - EverythingSimcheck A300VRS SuperhornetSceneryAerosoft - Lots of gems here, too many to list honestlyAnts freewareAussieX freewareFlightbeam KSFO (just picked up, fantastic)FlyTampa - EverythingFSAddon Tongass Fjords XFSDreamTeam - EverythingGEX US/CAN/EUOrbx - EverythingUK2000 - EverythingUTX AK/US/CAN/EUApps/OtherAI Carriers 2AESEZDok CameraFreeware Nimitz/EisenhowerFS2Crew (I use for PMDG MD11, JS4100, LevelD 767)FSCommanderFSUIPC registeredRealityXP Gauges (GNS430/530/WX500)REX2 + OverdriveShader3 ModSuperTrafficBoardTOPCATUltimate Traffic IIThat should get you started :)

Please separate into 3 categories:PlanesSceneryOther (example: FSUIPC or FS2Crew)I'm most interested in finding out what the perceived "best" airliners and high-res scenery are.
Looking back at the collection of add-on I have collect, I need to sort by which I used and those that I don’t on a regular basis. Here is a list of add-ons that have made FSX great for me and I don’t want to be without:Planes:Level-D’s 767-300ER – With no impact on the frame rate and one of the best simulation experiences, it is the best add-on you could buy. Scenery:Scenery Tech Asian Landclass – The best scenery texture for Japan that I have found that looks good, fixs into the FSX world, and has satisfied me. The source images are over 6 years old, but I’m still amazed at how they cover even northern Japan surprisingly wellJapan Terrian Mesh Scenery – A great mesh download that lets you choose 3 levels of mesh detailShinge’s Japan Scenery – Shinge’s gmax downloads give a lot more to Japan’s most popular cities. Plus he is continually updatingREX 2.0 – REX really changes the sky and environment of FSX looks for the better. It has some great additional features that I don’t use.Active Sky Evolution by Hi-Fi Simulation – Simply the best weather generator for FSX, and it is a great partner to REX. An added bonus is that is has FS9 support as well.Ultimate Traffic or Ultimate Traffic 2 – I have been using UT for FSX until last month when I bought UT2. UT2 adds a lot to what the first one had, but I think Ultimate Traffic for FSX is a better place to start.Other:AES by Aerosoft – It changes the interaction you have when parked at a supported add-on airport (“Supported” is the key word, but there is an large and ever growing library of airports.)FSUIPC – You probably already have it and don’t know it.Honorable Mentions:Planes:PMDG 747-400X 747-8iA2A P-51FSD Lockheed P-38Scenery:Orbx - ALLUltimate Terrain USAUltimate Terrain Europe/u]Overland's Incheon RKSIFSDreamteam's PHNL and Hawaii Airports Vol.1Other:FsPassengersI'm finishing up a list of free and payware add-on airports of Japan. I'll post it later this week. :(

AircraftThomas Ruth's 727 SeriesIris F-14D TomcatA2A WOP3 SpitfireVirtavia SeakingUKMIL Panavia TornadoClassics Hangar Fw190ATinmouse 737-200 V1.3 + 1.3.1 & 2 updatesRob Richardson's de Havilland VampireSimshed Nimrod MR.2 PMDG MD-11Aerosoft F-16 FalconSection F8 F-86E/F SabreCaptain Sim 707/B-52Just Flight Battle of Britain: HurricaneAircraft Factory F4U CorsairHadi Tahir's N250 (the only time our beloved nation ever built a commercial aircraft)Dino Cattaneo's F-35SceneryImaginesim KSJC V2FlightZone KPDX 02 + Larry Robbins updateSim-Outhouse Solomon Islands 1943 project.iScenery Jakarta Volume 1Hadi Tahir's WIPTSamsoft The Very Singapore XBluePrint KIAH and KMSPUtilities/WatercraftWorld of AIAI Flight Planner RCBCO 3.0.Deltasim HMS King George V and Panzerschiff Admiral Graf SpeePhil Crowther's Fletcher-Class DestroyersPreferrably freeware IMO, since I don't have the money to buy most, if any of the paywares above......:( What's worse is that I could only buy ONE ADD-ON for a MONTH :Cry:Edit: Categorizing as I listed them up in a rushed manner. Well, as our 4th president used to say, "Kalo sudah begini kan repot (It gets tough when this happens)". Dave.

There are already a ton of good suggestions..... To help give your flightsim meaning try these...Other:- Ideal Flight - Air Hauler- FS CaptainI have all three and use them for different purposes (Ideal Flight for military and general flying, Air Hauler owning and running a Cargo Company, FS Captain for working for an Airline as a pilot), these make your FS experience overall better.LW

Well I'm not into airliners but here's my list (99% of my flying is GA with a few bizjets)PlanesRealAir Turbine Duke/Piston DukeRealAir SF260/Scout pack 2007Orbx Lancair IV-PEaglesoft Citation XFlight1 Citation Mustang (need a decent PC)Lotus L39 Albatros"Ant's Airplanes" P2002 Tecnam SierraA2A Cub is quality just too slow for my likingSceneryFSDreamTeam stuffFlyTampa stuffGround Environment XUltimate Terrain XOrbx USA scenery (need a decent pc)OtherReality XP GNS (430 and/or 530W)Track IR 5Vatsim :)

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Thanks for all the replies so far, looks like the quality add-ons for FSX are abundant. Now for another question - where do you shop for your add-ons? So far I've been buying from Micro Center who has a lot of Just Flight, Wilco, and Abacus boxed products and even a PMDG gem or two (picked up the 747-400x for $29.99 the other night). Also flightsimstore.com and flight1.com. One more question, what 737s do you recommend? I'm waiting on PMDG's upcoming NGX2 but what about in the meantime?

Just wait for the NGX.... Store-wise....Anyone who uses the F1 wrapper is always good.I've made a few purchases from simmarket, flightsimpilotshop and flightsimstore. No major issues.Also bought from PC Aviator store.No issues from RealAir's SWREG or FSDreamteam's esellerate either...Actually I cannot think of any issue I've had online buying a flight sim product ever.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

PlanesRealAir Duke, Prop and TurbineCarenado C185F Bush PlaneCarenado C208 CaravanMAAM-SIM R4D DakotaOzx Grumman GooseAerosoft BeaverXAerosoft Twin OtterShupe's Beech D18Lionheart's Quest KodiakFlight Replica Super CubSceneryGround Environment XFlight Environment XFTX NA BlueFTX Pacific FjordsFSAddon TongassXUTX AlaskaFly Tampa St. John's and St. Bart'sFly Tampa GrenadinesVFR France Guadeloupe and MartiniquePacific Island Simulations PNG BushpilotOtherFSUIPC (registered)Plan-G

Lose not thine airspeed, lest the ground rise up and smite thee.

Listed below is the stuff I always have on my systemPlanes:A2A Spitfire-Cub-B17 (accusim versions)UVIER DC2 (best DC-x around)ORBX LancairAerosoft Catalina, TwinotterFlight1 BN2 IslanderCarenado C185 bushScenery:ORBX - allOZxOther:EZCAMREX 2.0 OverdriveORBX FSX-GoFTX Australian AIFSX PassengersA2A Shockwave 3D lightsShop:FlightsimstorePCaviatorAerosoftFlight1CheersTim

I don't think anyone has mentioned FSGenesis mesh. Good stuff and one of my must haves.

Guest wims

Im surprised that nobody has mentioned the Leonardo Maddog MD82. Easily the plane I've had the most fun with in FSX.

And I'm surprized Captain Sim's C-130 was not mentioned. Nicely done classics.
I don't have the C-130 from Captain Sim, but I have the 757 and 767. They are nice planes. I'm not ready to recommend them for everyone. I fly the 767 a lot and it sometimes is great and sometimes lets me down by failing when I'm coming in for a landing. Has happened 5 times so far. :(

PlanesPMDG 747-400Caranedo C182/BonanzaRealAir DukeVRS uperbugSceneryORBXFLYTAMPAREX ODGEXUTXOtherFSUIPCEZDOKBjote Tweak/shader