Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

B747400F

GTX580 and Nvidia 266.58 drivers... dll errors?

Has anyone else started seeing g3dll errors with the latest nvidia drivers for win7 64bit and the gtx580 video card?Suddenly I am crashing to the desktop with these error messages in the windows application log.Usually happens on approach to an airplane, tried different regions to make sure it wasn't PNW Blue or something causing it.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I have the same drivers and win7 64 bit but I´m using a GTX 260 and I´ve never encountered such an error.

Strange. I rebuilt my fsx.cfg file too and still g3d.dll errors after 10-15 mins of flight anywhere in the world.

Hi, yes, I just had a g3d.dll crash today. And like you, it was in PNW Blue territory (which I have installed), around Seattle, on approach to landing. I haven't figured out anything else at the moment but I'm still investigating. If I find anything I'll post an update. Be grateful if you could do likewise.MickySorry, I forgot to add that I'm also using Win 7(64-bit) and GTX580, but the drivers are 263.09Micky

I thought it was just PNW, so I flew in Europe... disabled that scenery, same crash. Ugh

Happened to me and after driving myself nuts trying to diagnose that and a bunch of other software errors, I upgraded the power supply and all the problems disappared. I might have had a defect in my power supply but I also get the impression the 580 is a little more power-hungry than advertised. What PSU are you currently using?

I don't have a GTX 580 but I have a GTX 570 and I'm getting the same errors. Once it happened about 20 mins into my flight. Next time it happened 45 mins into my flight. FS is basically unplayable for me right now. I hope to hear back from you guys about what solutions you guys might have come up with

I've had them a couple of times too. My cards are overclocked but not convinced that is the cause. Pretty sure it they occur on approach as well. Win7 64 SP1??

What addons do you all use? REX? Activesky? Reality-xp stuff? Just trying to narrow it down. I have an 800watt power supply so I don't think it's the problem.

What addons do you all use? REX? Activesky? Reality-xp stuff? Just trying to narrow it down. I have an 800watt power supply so I don't think it's the problem.
I actuall use none of them but I maybe will use them in the future when I have a better system which can handle these things.

I am running Win 7 x64 SP1
I was questioning whether anyone remembers if the problems started after Win7 SP1 was installed. I use ASE, REX, UTX, GEX, Ulimate Traffic 2.

I just added a new motherboard and video card to this build. Before I didn't have SP1 installed. Also i was using older nvidia drivers but I can't remember which one

Can you all check your terrain.cfg file in the main fsx folder?Search around for some lines later on, especially those installed by Ultimate Terrain. There might be some that say something about effects or wave= with nothing after. Let me know if you all find those lines with an equals sign but nothing after it. I have removed a few of those lines, installed by UTX Alaska, and my sim seems to be running dll crash free right now.EDIT: Of course, just a few minutes after posting this above... 2 days of error free flying, now another d3d.dll crashFaulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.61637.0, time stamp: 0x46fadb14Faulting module name: g3d.dll, version: 10.0.61637.0, time stamp: 0x46fadb58Exception code: 0xc0000005

I hate to keep harping on power and your problems may lie elsewhere but there's one other issue to check - the 580 power requirement includes the need for 42 amps on the 12 volt rail. That's a total system demand, not the demand for the card alone. But if you have a power supply that can't provide 42 amps to the 12 volt rail, you could run into difficulties even if the overall wattage is sufficient. There's some commentary on the video forums - google "580 power single rail" for more. Hope this helps. I'll try to check the terrain.cfg later and see if anything turns up there.

My psu is 800 watts.
Yes, but the power delivery to the 12-volt rail is a different spec, measured in amps. Chances are you're fine, but it's worth checking the 12-volt rail figure, since it's theoretically possible that even an 800-watt PSU isn't meeting that requirement. Unlikely, but worth a look.

Where do I check that? Here is what I bought last yearhttp://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-ATX12V-Certified-CrossFire/dp/B000LD6OOW/ref=dp_return_1?ie=UTF8&n=172282&s=electronics

I had this exact same problem but only at ORBX YBBN on approach to 01. It would start with the frame rate going up and down and the view jiggering about, then CTD.I spoke to some guys over at the ORBX forums and they advised me to try with built-in or addon traffic turned off/right down and it made a slight difference; i.e. I could get about three miles further in. I did a bit of research and it seems that most of these errors are to do with corrupt BGL files not quite matching or some addon autogen not being in the right place.I would try running *******' FSX.cfg editor over on his website and selecting the Vsync fix. It has made a whole lot of difference to flying over heavy autogen. Also, I run Nvidia inspector with NickN's settings and that made a lot of difference too. I no longer get the problem at YBBN. I guess because my FR is "locked" at 30/60 or whatever with Vsync the CPU has a chance to deal with the BGL issues? I have an O/C PNY GTX580; ORBX; REX2 HD. I have a 650W PSU also and it seems fine.I had a GTX295 prior to the 580 and it was much, much worse. Couldn't fly in or out of YBBN really..

Do you by chance have any OZx scenery installed?I run 0% all traffic, nothing not even airport vehicles.

Where do I check that? Here is what I bought last yearhttp://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-ATX12V-Certified-CrossFire/dp/B000LD6OOW/ref=dp_return_1?ie=UTF8&n=172282&s=electronics
There are more specs on your PSU available here at Newegg. Now, I'm by no means an expert on power supplies - I've had my recent problems, and that's about the extent of my experience - so I'm going to have to defer to others here who are more knowledgeble than I am. What I do notice is that your PSU is a six-rail model, with 18 amps on each 12-volt rail. A while ago, I remember hearing from a number of people that there was a preference for single-rail PSUs like this one. The theory was that with multiple rails, a given rail could become underpowered even if the PSU as a whole was putting out enough power. I've never put that to the test and it may be an old wives' tale. Maybe a hardware expert can step in here and tell us whether there might be an issue with the amount of power your PSU is able to deliver to the card, even if its overall power rating is good.Like others in this thread, I've also had video-related crashes when using complex aircraft in complex sceneries. Mostly I get the "sound freeze" - the one where the screen locks up but the sound keeps running. It's supposedly curable by adding uiautomationcore.dll to the FSX root folder, but that never worked for me. What worked was upgrading the card. I had lockups with the Carenado Cessna 208 north of Orbx Seattle (a known problem area, in the vicinity of Paine VOR). I cured them by moving from a 280 to a 480. Then I had similar lockups with the PMDG 747 in the same place. I cured them by moving from the 480 to the 580. I wouldn't be surprised if there were combinations of aircraft and scenery that the 580 can't handle. I haven't found one yet but it's early in the game.Again, I hope all this is helpful and I hope also that friends who know hardware can step in and provide some additional guidance.

thanks for the help, I might just get that psu. Do you think I might not have enough voltage set for my oc to 4ghz? Could that also be it?

There are more specs on your PSU available here at Newegg. Now, I'm by no means an expert on power supplies - I've had my recent problems, and that's about the extent of my experience - so I'm going to have to defer to others here who are more knowledgeble than I am. What I do notice is that your PSU is a six-rail model, with 18 amps on each 12-volt rail. A while ago, I remember hearing from a number of people that there was a preference for single-rail PSUs like this one. The theory was that with multiple rails, a given rail could become underpowered even if the PSU as a whole was putting out enough power. I've never put that to the test and it may be an old wives' tale. Maybe a hardware expert can step in here and tell us whether there might be an issue with the amount of power your PSU is able to deliver to the card, even if its overall power rating is good.Like others in this thread, I've also had video-related crashes when using complex aircraft in complex sceneries. Mostly I get the "sound freeze" - the one where the screen locks up but the sound keeps running. It's supposedly curable by adding uiautomationcore.dll to the FSX root folder, but that never worked for me. What worked was upgrading the card. I had lockups with the Carenado Cessna 208 north of Orbx Seattle (a known problem area, in the vicinity of Paine VOR). I cured them by moving from a 280 to a 480. Then I had similar lockups with the PMDG 747 in the same place. I cured them by moving from the 480 to the 580. I wouldn't be surprised if there were combinations of aircraft and scenery that the 580 can't handle. I haven't found one yet but it's early in the game.Again, I hope all this is helpful and I hope also that friends who know hardware can step in and provide some additional guidance.
Alan, there's nothing wrong with multi-rail PSU's really. Besides, two of those six rails are 28A, so he should be ok
thanks for the help, I might just get that psu. Do you think I might not have enough voltage set for my oc to 4ghz? Could that also be it?
why don't you go back to stock clocks and test it like that? that way you can rule out OC as the culprit

The power supply is only good enough for sure if it has two dedicated graphics card connectors. If the OP is using converters from the molex plugs rather than dedicated connectors then he needs to make sure that the pair of molex connectors being used are not both using the same rail. EVGA recommends a minimum of 42amps and a single 12v rail for the 580.

The power supply is only good enough for sure if it has two dedicated graphics card connectors. If the OP is using converters from the molex plugs rather than dedicated connectors then he needs to make sure that the pair of molex connectors being used are not both using the same rail. EVGA recommends a minimum of 42amps and a single 12v rail for the 580.
The 42A recommendation doesn't mean a single rail for the GPU, nor 42A for the GPU alone, it's 42A for the total system, assuming it's on a single rail, AndyI would expect a 850W, six rail, SLI rated PSU to have plenty of those PCIe connectors anyway :biggrin:It has 2x8 pin PCIe and 2x6 pinThe 28A rails are the 8 pin PCIe, so simply use one 8 pin and one 6 pin connector, and that's plenty juice for the 580http://www.hardwares...ly-Review/538/6