Sign in to follow this  
davethewave2

Will flight be in 3D?

Q1 is the worst time to release a game/simulation. No holidays, no events, bills from Christmas roll in, taxes due soon. Q3-4 are WAY better.
That means its taking 6 years to create this game, did the Apollo mission to the moon even take that long?

That means its taking 6 years to create this game, did the Apollo mission to the moon even take that long?
Flight was not in development for 6 years, but yes it's 5-6 years after FSX is released that we will see Flight.

Brandon Filer

Nintendo just released it's Nintendo 3DS handheld game console. It's in 3D, without glasses. Since the technology is there, it's literally a matter of time before it shows up on your desktop. As for FS/Flight... it's already in 3D, except the 2D panels and dialogs and such.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Nintendo just released it's Nintendo 3DS handheld game console. It's in 3D, without glasses. Since the technology is there, it's literally a matter of time before it shows up on your desktop. As for FS/Flight... it's already in 3D, except the 2D panels and dialogs and such.
The 3DS only works because it's such a small screen. You wont see that exact tech being used on larger monitors, not to mention that even if it was the price would be ridiculous.

Those will still work.
Well, going from FS9 in 3D to FSX in 3D was a hugh step because the 3D objects in the landscape are floating above the ground in FS9 so I hope that in Flight there will also be a fix for the misplaced lights like the PAPI.Flying FSX with Nvidia 3D Vision is like flying in a complete different simulator but only in daylight. Nvidia rated FSX as exellent for 3D Vision but mentioned the misplaced lights problem.3D 120 Hz monitors become more known and affordable to the public and is a must seen for every sim pilot...

Hope they do have 3d in Flight would be fun. KA321 yes only VC.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Only Virtual Cockpit works in 3D in FSX, right?
I think this has already been pointed out, if the objects are rendered in 3D space using Direct 3D (or Open GL for X-plane) then they are delivered in 3D to a 3DTV or 3D monitor. It's a pretty simple concept. A 2D panel is exactly that an image made to look like it has 3 dimensional objects but you can't change the angle or zoom it so you'll get no such benefit watching in 3D. Pretty much everything else though, landscape, VC's, planes, buildings etc will be in 3D, clearly you'll lose the effect for 'sprite' based objects like clouds and trees, at least Flight has 3D trees so that will look better. Tosh and Sony demonstrated 3D TV's without glasses at CES 2011. Toshiba's Glassless 3DTV's are on sale now, but are expensive and screens are very small. Sony's TV was bigger and demonstrated a wide viewing angle, something which has hindered technological advancement until now, but it apears were getting close. Sony's offering at CES 2011 was a prototype and they admitted comercial availability of these TV's wouldn't be available anytime soon. However with the technology demo's being seen at CES over the last few years and Tosh putting one on sale, it's not going to be too much longer before reasonably viable 3DTV's (and monitors) without glasses will be available, I would say probably in the next 24-36 months. Cheers,Dave.

Some years ago. I had the opportunity to see FS-2004 in 3D...and holy smokes in was pretty incredible! What you saw outside the plane wasn't much different, but looking around the VC, I wanted to reach out and touch the switches, and I'd been using flightsim for over a decade at that point.It was the pet project of a section of DND in Canada, for whom I work, and they had a pretty astronomical budget.

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.