Sign in to follow this  
SpiritFlyer

Computer shuts down as if power loss

Guest firehawk44
I sooooo do not understand what this means! :unsure:
LOL. Looks like it was copied from a government policy manual....Best regards,Jim

If I read this right? To draw summary: True Sine wave is only absolutely required in countries operating on 240v native. http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-3964.html However money prevailing I would suggest we forgo the electronics lesson and just buy a true sine wave UPS; takes all the guesswork out of the equation.Yet more fuel for the fire; note the authors claimed accreditations: http://www.kerchner.com/electrical/sinewave.htm
EDIT: Oh, I didn't notice that link! Thank you... that's exactly what I've been looking for. He writes a pure sine wave is not needed... then again this article was from 1985 before active PFC power supplies.What I read last night was there's three different types of waves that UPS 's commonly produce:Square, Stepped Sine, and Pure SineUPS-Waveforms.pngThe square is the most efficient, and also the cheapest to produce within a UPS. This form is very hard on PSU's and a UPS with this type shouldn't be used. The stepped sine is much less likely to damage a PSU compared to square. And can also power a PC for a few minutes (to allow for safe shutdown) before damaging the PSU. And of course pure sine is the least efficient but most expensive to produce. It can power any device without issue. Apparently a larger battery is required and more heat is generated with a UPS producing this type.Source was a toms hardware article written by a user...http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/284128-28-tomshardwareSo from that I might be ok with my old UPS, except that I think it has some issues. Stephen should be ok with that little APC then if this is true. I guess I'd want a larger battery if I was running your rig stephen - the one I have (but disconnected) was a 1000va /600w unit - will give me a few minutes to turn off my rig. I'm using a cyberpower surge protector for that side of things (for the rest of my components). This one actually:http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812120408CVF&cm_re=surge_protection-_-12-120-408CVF-_-Product

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I have also this kind of automatic shutdowns since I have the new build. I tracked it down to (Suprise!!!) my weak PSU, especially the 12V rail. Tried to run an GPU test on the highest setting with OCCT and got this shutdown. so it´s my PSU. But I have no money in the moment, so I´ll have to take care of my GFX card that the settings aren´t too hard.

Guest jahman
Square, Stepped Sine, and Pure SineUPS-Waveforms.png
Well, you can see for yourself which waveform has the highest peak voltage and is the most likelly to damage a PSU capacitor: The sine wave!As for data loss, Win XP, Vista and 7 all use NTFS, and NTFS implements a log for file system journaling. This means you will not lose data during a power outage and your file system will not become corrupted: When the OS reboots it will use the log to rebuild any damaged files. Caveat: You must disable write caching on your disk drives.IPS are only needed when 24/7 system availability is required (of course WRT FSX it sometimes is! :Big Grin: )Cheers,- jahman.

Well, you can see for yourself which waveform has the highest peak voltage and is the most likelly to damage a PSU capacitor: The sine wave!- jahman.
I would not draw any conclusion from the graph other than its intended purpose; to illustrate different wave forms. Sine is not typically the highest peak and actually the least likely to cause damage.I would not rely on W7 to save my data under any circumstance (it can hardly save itself sometimes, lol), especially if running drives from the Pcie slot like I do and some Pcie SSD fellows do.

Regards,
Gary Andersen

HAF932 Advanced, ASUS Z690-P D4, i5-12600k @4.9,NH-C14S, 2x8GB DDR4 3600, RM850x PSU,Sata DVD, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB storage, W10-Pro on Intel 750 AIC 800GB PCI-Express,MSI RTX3070 LHR 8GB, AW2720HF, VS238, Card Reader, SMT750 UPS.

Guest jahman

Gary, see my previous post.Again, for perfect square waves peak voltage and RMS voltage are equal, IOW the square wave has the lowest peak vs. average voltage possible for any waveform.The squarer the wave, the lower the peak voltage.Cheers,- jahman.

Gary, see my previous post.Again, for perfect square waves peak voltage and RMS voltage are equal, IOW the square wave has the lowest peak vs. average voltage possible for any waveform.The squarer the wave, the lower the peak voltage.Cheers,- jahman.
But our components were designed to use sine not square. There is not a single piece of reference I have encountered to date that would suggest a true sine UPS is not the best.

Regards,
Gary Andersen

HAF932 Advanced, ASUS Z690-P D4, i5-12600k @4.9,NH-C14S, 2x8GB DDR4 3600, RM850x PSU,Sata DVD, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB storage, W10-Pro on Intel 750 AIC 800GB PCI-Express,MSI RTX3070 LHR 8GB, AW2720HF, VS238, Card Reader, SMT750 UPS.

Guest jahman
But our components were designed to use sine not square. There is not a single piece of reference I have encountered to date that would suggest a true sine UPS is not the best.
That's because the input wave form is irrelevant for a switched PSU. But you do need an electronics background to understand why. Review my previous posts and do go to the wikipedia pages I provided. Cheers,- jahman.

I know a Corsair 850 W PSU should be OK, but you never know when you operate the rig at 5GHZ for many hours.Gerald. Rhttp://www.multicrewxp.com
Gerald, how could 5Ghz for many hours have anything to do with stressing a PSU that is rated for even 600W? Max power draw on the 5Ghz processor is going to be what, maybe 135W? When you run the PSS calculators it seems we all are running ample PSS's for the components involved. I am using a 750W PC Power n Cooling PSS and when I run my machine full tilt (~4Ghz w/ all the machine & GPU specs as noted below) I am only using somewhere around 320-360W.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Gerald, how could 5Ghz for many hours have anything to do with stressing a PSU that is rated for even 600W? Max power draw on the 5Ghz processor is going to be what, maybe 135W? When you run the PSS calculators it seems we all are running ample PSS's for the components involved. I am using a 750W PC Power n Cooling PSS and when I run my machine full tilt (~4Ghz w/ all the machine & GPU specs as noted below) I am only using somewhere around 320-360W.
Agreed, I used my kill-a-watt the other day to check my system running P95, and then 3dmark (GPU draws obviously), 360w was the very max, and averaged 300w, when running FSX, 260w lol

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

SpiritFlyer, just a reminder:Before you proceed to any hardware changes, check your Windows Event Viewer.Check the Administrative Events for any error that occurred just before the system shutdown. It might give you an indication about the cause and might save you money.Best regards,Nikos

So what is the status Stephen? Any leads?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

SpiritFlyer, just a reminder:Before you proceed to any hardware changes, check your Windows Event Viewer.Check the Administrative Events for any error that occurred just before the system shutdown. It might give you an indication about the cause and might save you money.Best regards,Nikos
Thanks Nikos, As I mentioned nothing shows.
So what is the status Stephen? Any leads?
Hi Ryan, I took the battery unit back and just bought another surge protector bar. I figured that it is unlikely to be the source of the problem anyway. To be honest I have not run FSX enough in the last few days to find out if any of changes has resolved anything or not. Perhaps tomorrow if there is time I will give it a go and report back. Thanks for asking.Kind regards,

Hey Stephen...I'm still curious how this story ended. Has the dragon been slain?

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Hey Stephen...I'm still curious how this story ended. Has the dragon been slain?
Hi Bob,I answered and posted last night but it disappeared and got lost in the cyber universe somewhere. I have not solved the sudden loss of power problem so I've learned to avoid it by not making longish flights. I have no idea what is causing the power loses at present, but as long as I stay with shorter flights and restart the computer from time to time, it's fine. It could be anything, the CPU, the PSU but I think it must be a weakness in the motherboard, but unless I want to be knocked out of the game for however long it takes for an RMA, it can be lived with, at least for now. It seems strange that it appears so random that it does not seem to point at any one particular thing (in my mind).Kind regards,