Sign in to follow this  
jgoggi

Any news about v5?

Jim,So how many customers would they have if they said were releasing it and it's none of your business or we don't care what you think and we will do what we please. Oh and they let out press releases too along the way during development such as spy photos and features options horse power. I like and respect you Jim but the pay ware model has to change. I looks like the hobby is dying slowly. Fancon canceled. Seems like forums have less traffic. Freeware is less....
Jeff, you hit the nail right on the head! That's what people here have been trying to say. We don't NEED to get updates on new car models because we know that about the same time each year, the new models roll out. And if, for example, electronics companies like Sony say "it'll come out when it'll come out"... then they would lose customers fast! As for software, Microsoft releases windows and gives updates about whether it is in alpha, or beta stage and people are invited to do beta testing and a firm date is announced and STUCK TO! I realize that these are much larger companies then the team developing Radar Contact and have much more resources, but it's a matter of THEIR attitude, not OUR patience! I personally don't get impatient a week after a product is announced and expect it to come out. I give the company time ... a year perhaps, and then expect some eta's. A good example of a fiasco is Airsimmer's 'advanced' A320 - it's dragging on and on and on and on and on... It's also on the heels of a very buggy basic edition. RC is not like Airsimmer but still, they seem to think we'll wait 'ad infinitum' for their software and wait in a 'vacuum' without any updates and then run like hell to grab our credit cards to buy them. This is probably because, as stated in this thread already, there is almost no competition, so FlightSim software developers can take all the time they need and then some. I don't mind being patient but RC 4.3 was announced in 2007 I believe and version 5 was announced what-2 years ago? There is a limit to our patience and a limit to the patience of all humans. This is not ranting, this is basic passing of time!And Jim, I also like you and love Active Sky but a case in point: Hi-Fi does not take YEARS to release a new version and they are very good in keeping us informed about the progress. So there is a big difference between Hi-Fi and JDT LLC for RC.Just my two cents worth...John

What I find ridiculous is that they can't tell us if it is within 2 years or so, or if it's within the next decade or so. Why can't they just give us a ballpark estimate and tell us it is a ballpark estimate when telling it to us? .....

And once you knew that, then what? Would you hold their feet to the fire for that date? Would your life change in some way? I guess I just don't get how any piece of software could make such a difference in life. XP-10, RC5, PMDG, Flight, everyone seems to be such up in arms over some hobby software. I wonder if golfers go through this same kind of anguish when Titlist announces a new golf ball. Do golfers bombard golf forums with tears in their eyes begging for updates from Titlist? Surely those golfers are just as important to Titlist as we are to these software companies? Maybe I am just happy for what I have and not for what I could have someday.

And once you knew that, then what? Would you hold their feet to the fire for that date? Would your life change in some way? I guess I just don't get how any piece of software could make such a difference in life. XP-10, RC5, PMDG, Flight, everyone seems to be such up in arms over some hobby software. I wonder if golfers go through this same kind of anguish when Titlist announces a new golf ball. Do golfers bombard golf forums with tears in their eyes begging for updates from Titlist? Surely those golfers are just as important to Titlist as we are to these software companies? Maybe I am just happy for what I have and not for what I could have someday.
Jim, Freeware they can say or do what they want because it is free and it is a hobby for the designers to build something. Pay ware is different because they are charging for a product and making money from their customers. A lot of the pay ware developers out there should be a little more customer friendly and provide updates. They do in other video games except in Flight Simulator. What's wrong with setting a deadline for completion? What's wrong with an anticipated release date? What's wrong with keeping CUSTOMERS updated? If there is a delay or a snag in development then just tell us. Easy as that!!! I'm pretty sick and tired of seeing the rebuttals from developers when somebody asks for an update. They act like they are developing the next stealth bomber and it's top secret.. Is that really good customer service? They wonder why they get replies back that are derogatory. Im just saying that if pay ware developers became a little more customer friendly and provided updates about upcoming releases, they might make a few more dollars and have more customers. Look at the ea sports franchises and medal of honor and such. They release screen shots, and update along the way along with having an anticipated release date. No wonder they have the most sales in the video game industry. I always have respected you Jim and hope you don't think I'm fighting with you. You are a great asset to the hobby. It just seems like the hobby is dying slowly and if JD and the crew can give updates and release dates along with other pay ware developers it might cause some excitement that had been lacking for some time in this hobby. Marketing does great wonders.

Hi JimWith the greatest respect sir, the vast majorority of people on this this site are not your enemy and here to make your life a misery, but share the same interest as you 'Radar Contact', otherwise they would not bother with this forum. Can I liken it to two fishermen sat side by side on a lake side, if one demands of the other "When are you going to catch your next fish" thats an irritation, I agree. But usually they will discuss a common interest about there hobby, is this a good spot, are the fish biting today etc. Thats why most people here are asking you for information on version 5 of Radar Contact, to us its a common interest we share with you. You will of course get the odd idiot who demands release dates, we have all seen them on other forums, but the vast majority here share your interest on the developement of Radar Contact.RegardsGlen

Glen

It just seems like the hobby is dying slowly and if JD and the crew can give updates and release dates along with other pay ware developers it might cause some excitement that had been lacking for some time in this hobby. Marketing does great wonders.
Jeff,JD is the sole developer. There are several of us in the beta team and although I haven't signed a NDA I wouldn't disclose the progress of v5 out of respect for JD.I'm afraid you'll just have to accept what he chooses to make public.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Jeff,JD is the sole developer. There are several of us in the beta team and although I haven't signed a NDA I wouldn't disclose the progress of v5 out of respect for JD.I'm afraid you'll just have to accept what he chooses to make public.
Ray,I respect the fact that you are not. Very admirable to keep your word. I respect JD in his decisions either way. I love Radar Contact. I was just hoping that if there were regular updates and an ANTICPATED release date that would generate some enthusism in our hobby. It would be nice if a payware developer would break out of the mold a bit. Jeff

All,You got an update on July 5, post #2 in this thread.

All,You got an update on July 5, post #2 in this thread.
So in two years there is no news? BTW Sarcasm will breed certain responses like what you posted about other Payware developers on three different forums.... Just saying......

I guess not, or JD would have released the news.

Well , another ruined flight. Landing at KLAX, cleared to land by RC. Down to 100 ft, touchdown, AI plane taxies across runway, crash! ANY, atc program that is going to be worth anything has to have groundhandleing. It's just to big a part of ATC operations. Esp at the large airports and running 100% AI traffic with real flightplans.

Well , another ruined flight. Landing at KLAX, cleared to land by RC. Down to 100 ft, touchdown, AI plane taxies across runway, crash! ANY, atc program that is going to be worth anything has to have groundhandleing. It's just to big a part of ATC operations. Esp at the large airports and running 100% AI traffic with real flightplans.
No atc program will ever control AI aicraft in fsx or fs9 so get used to it.

If you're continually experiencing "ruined flights" at a particular airport then create a log, recreate the problem and send it to JD. He'll then be able to see what went wrong. Instructions for this are pinned on the forum.RC 'freezes' ground Ai when you're about to land so this should not happen. But it does depend on how many Ai are present. There are limits to what an ATC program can do in this respect especially when you have to 'fight' with FS over controlling Ai. You might also consider turning off crash detection in FS. I don't see what enabling it really achieves anyway.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

No atc program will ever control AI aicraft in fsx or fs9 so get used to it.
WELL, msfs9 ATC seems to be able to do it, so it can be done.

WELL, msfs9 ATC seems to be able to do it, so it can be done.
Ya, it never puts AI on the runway, or speeds planes past you while you are on final, or takes forever to exit a runway. You must be using a different FS9 than the rest of us because we've all had those experiences. So if the default ATC is so great, why are you using RC?