Sign in to follow this  
Buzz313th

73NGX Failure Generator

With the upcoming release of the NGX, is there any possibility PMDG can give out some details on the Failure Generation system that was slated for this add-on?ThanksJeff B

Watch AOA's Nick's video with tour of the cockpit, he briefly shows FMS and it's configurable options, if you pause you can read/see some of the available failure options right there on the screen. It is no way a full description but it gives you a decent flavor of what's coming.

Watch AOA's Nick's video with tour of the cockpit, he briefly shows FMS and it's configurable options, if you pause you can read/see some of the available failure options right there on the screen. It is no way a full description but it gives you a decent flavor of what's coming.
all of the failures are accessed through pages of the CDU. There are a huge amount of failures that you can trigger to practice your procedures, covering all of the aircraft systems in some detail. Those failures can also cascade through other equipment if you do not respond appropriately. You can set these up however you want and whenever you want them to trigger. You can, of course, also fly with no failures.Another option, which I personally find the most interesting is an option (again it is up to you) to use in-service failures. This means that parts will wear out over time just from the wear and tear of every day use. You can choose if and when to service your aircraft, responding to a problem or a general service of everything, or even a preventative service. In short, things will break and wear out in exactly the same way they do in real life. The team have even monitored the life of each component based on the specs given by the manufacturer of the real equipment!Of course, if you abuse the aircraft you can also break things. You will also see things that I would not necessarily call failures as that is a strong term, but consequences. For example, the air con struggling to keep you with a high cabin temperature with the doors open when sat on the ramp on a very hot day, leading to duct overheats etc.For me, personally, the in-service failures are fantastic, giving the ultimate realism.All of these failures are options. You can fly without them triggering. That said, the in-service failures adds a whole new dimension that it would be a shame for you to miss. There are literally hundreds of components monitored for wear and tear. No random number generator creating failures but actual systems modelling of real-world equivalent wear and tear. It is amazing!PS The pages you see on the CDU on Nick's video have been revised somewhat and are now more intuitive but they are a guideline.JR

- Jane Whittaker

one thing I dearly love about the A2A Accusim B-17 is the fact that it wears out over a period of time and eventualy needs a trip to the hanger. The fact that this is now coming to an airliner makes me go all weak at the knees. I do realise though that a B-17 is more likely to go wrong than a mainstream popular airliner, but then again im going to be flying the 737 10x more than an old warbird.

one thing I dearly love about the A2A Accusim B-17 is the fact that it wears out over a period of time and eventualy needs a trip to the hanger. The fact that this is now coming to an airliner makes me go all weak at the knees. I do realise though that a B-17 is more likely to go wrong than a mainstream popular airliner, but then again im going to be flying the 737 10x more than an old warbird.
I am not going to discuss another company on the PMDG forum, except to say, I love that B-17! With your mindset you will not be disappointed with the NG.

- Jane Whittaker

Jane, may I ask which in-service failures you have encountered so far?thank you

@JR,Questions regarding the service life induced failures:If we stick flying with only one 737 livery the service clock will be running only for that particular one or for all 737sNGX?Is it possible to control the timeframes in this option? E.g. engine checks should be done every 1000 hours (just for example) but in a flight sim that is rather long period, so can this period be reduced in order to get a failure in a shorter time?

Regards,

Martin Martinov / VATSIM 1207931

@JR,Questions regarding the service life induced failures:If we stick flying with only one 737 livery the service clock will be running only for that particular one or for all 737sNGX?Is it possible to control the timeframes in this option? E.g. engine checks should be done every 1000 hours (just for example) but in a flight sim that is rather long period, so can this period be reduced in order to get a failure in a shorter time?
hey Martin, each livery is seen as an independent aircraft, each with its own service clock and component status. The in-service failures are timed around real wear and tear values, but if you want to accelerate that process you can use the failure triggers menu to set a failure to happen at a time of your choosing, so if you want failures in a shorter time it is really easy to do,all the bestJR

- Jane Whittaker

Jane, may I ask which in-service failures you have encountered so far?thank you
nothing time expired as yet as I keep resetting the clock for various testing reasons. However, plenty of DBJ (Destroyed By Jane!) failures that I have deliberately attempted.Some particularly "amusing" ones included yanking at the controls deliberately whilst the autopilot was engaged and repeatedly doing so until I broke the FCC equipment and rendered autopilot A useless :)Another great bit of fun to run up a bill is to repeatedly RTO the brakes until they fail, get ridiculously hot and turn the pads into a personal barbecue plate for the crew! Also recommended is retracting the gear in flight with really hot brakes and watch how it "warms" the wheel wheel, sometimes leading to a wheel well fire.

- Jane Whittaker

I see the relevance for failures, but personally I wanna fly safely rolleyes.gifBut I have to admit that I would like the idea of flying with the plane being susceptible to wear and tear, that sounds amazing!

Yours truly
Boaz Fraizer
Copenhagen, Denmark

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I see the relevance for failures, but personally I wanna fly safely rolleyes.gifBut I have to admit that I would like the idea of flying with the plane being susceptible to wear and tear, that sounds amazing!
setting up failures is great if you want to practice a procedure related to that failure. The wear and tear in-service system is great if you want to fly with total realism. It forces you not to make assumptions about the state of your aircraft and be very aware of what is going on and adherence to checklists.JR

- Jane Whittaker

... Another option, which I personally find the most interesting is an option (again it is up to you) to use in-service failures. This means that parts will wear out over time just from the wear and tear of every day use. You can choose if and when to service your aircraft, responding to a problem or a general service of everything, or even a preventative service. In short, things will break and wear out in exactly the same way they do in real life. The team have even monitored the life of each component based on the specs given by the manufacturer of the real equipment!Of course, if you abuse the aircraft you can also break things. You will also see things that I would not necessarily call failures as that is a strong term, but consequences. For example, the air con struggling to keep you with a high cabin temperature with the doors open when sat on the ramp on a very hot day, leading to duct overheats etc.For me, personally, the in-service failures are fantastic, giving the ultimate realism....
I've been waitng for a LONG time to see someone else do this in a jet sim for FS (the Maddog has something similar). It's a GOOD thing that PMDG is is the one doing this... FINALLY!!!It changes A LOT for me to know that "stuff can happen" when flying... Big%20Grin.gifReally HAPPY!! This is the ONLY way I'll fly her.

Best regards, Fritz ESSONO

I've been waitng for a LONG time to see someone else do this in a jet sim for FS (the Maddog has something similar). It's a GOOD thing that PMDG is is the one doing this... FINALLY!!!It changes A LOT for me to know that "stuff can happen" when flying... Big%20Grin.gifReally HAPPY!! This is the ONLY way I'll fly her.
I agree 100% with you!.

Another day, another tidbit on the NGX that gets me more excited.

That will be a great thing, Though I've set random failures on the MD11 I never got any even with high ratio :( I guess this option will be really great to get a feel of the real thing :)