Sign in to follow this  
Devinci

How long will it takes you to fly properly with the NGX?

NGX flying?  

297 members have voted

1. 1. How long will it take you to fly the NGX as it should be?

• I'm already a real NG pilot.
    • I'm not real NG pilot but I know how to fly it.
    • I'll only need few hours.
    • I'll need few days
    • I'll need few weeks and a lot of learning.
    • Everything is new to me, Maybe months

A question I would ask to the real NG pilots is: Is there a specific altitude specified on the manuals perhaps at which you start to flare the aircraft when landing?
Hi Devenci. At WN, we do a 10 foot callout, typically were we flare. Flare too soon, she'll floaaaattt. ON an AIII approach(HGS) in AIII mode, it will have you reducing thrust and flaring slightly sooner. This is to ensure you hit the appropriate touchdown spot. When we were certifying our HUDS, they actually had a camera mounted by the main wheel area to ensure the accuracy and calibration was correct. Hope this clarifies somewhat.Best,David

I myself would not at all feel comfortable arming auto throttle until lined up on the runway.
In FSX I've had a few... uh, incidents... relating to the topic. I'm inclined to agree with you.

Hi Devenci. At WN, we do a 10 foot callout, typically were we flare. Flare too soon, she'll floaaaattt. ON an AIII approach(HGS) in AIII mode, it will have you reducing thrust and flaring slightly sooner. This is to ensure you hit the appropriate touchdown spot. When we were certifying our HUDS, they actually had a camera mounted by the main wheel area to ensure the accuracy and calibration was correct. Hope this clarifies somewhat.Best,David
Thanks. So it's like on Airbus A32X when the automated voice call "retard" just before touch down the aircraft should be flared. I assume that's around 20 feet then when you have to initiate the flare.

Guest tonyf38

The 600/700 has a different procedure than the 800/900 for landing.. You can retard the throttles smoothly to idle once you are at 50' agl in the 600/700, just like in the earlier models, but in the 800/900 it requires a little less flare while slowly reducing the throttle to idle while flaring or you risk a tail strike because of the increased length of the fuselage.. So, once you cross the threshold, don't chop power in 800/900 or you'll sink quick and have to pull back hard so you don't slam it in.. When to flare depends on different factors, such as wind and turbulence.. There's no set rule on when to flare..

The 600/700 has a different procedure than the 800/900 for landing.. You can retard the throttles smoothly to idle once you are at 50' agl in the 600/700, just like in the earlier models, but in the 800/900 it requires a little less flare while slowly reducing the throttle to idle while flaring or you risk a tail strike because of the increased length of the fuselage.. So, once you cross the threshold, don't chop power in 800/900 or you'll sink quick and have to pull back hard so you don't slam it in.. When to flare depends on different factors, such as wind and turbulence.. There's no set rule on when to flare..
I was hoping more landing videos with AOA. But it's just the 4th here in the west coast! Angel.gifSo please, those of you who have the chance to buy it "maybe" today share some landing videos!

The Normals I should be getting in a few hours, but for the whole plane my guess would be a few weeks, since I am not able to sim every day :(

i have about 200 hours in a 737NG sim so I will get along :)

Regards,

Harm Swinkels

boeing-747-wings-pin-ztr6z.png

Guest tonyf38
I was hoping more landing videos with AOA. But it's just the 4th here in the west coast! Angel.gifSo please, those of you who have the chance to buy it "maybe" today share some landing videos!
I'll be happy to make a landing vid once she comes out... Devinci, I'll do an approach and landing into KSAN... I saw your previews for San Diego, great work!!

I'll be happy to make a landing vid once she comes out... Devinci, I'll do an approach and landing into KSAN... I saw your previews for San Diego, great work!!
I will like it. Thanks

I suppose it depends on how you use FSX. If you want to complete procedures as in the real world it will take longer. I intend to complete an air test to try and get a feel for how the NGX operates on my system and then complete a few domestic routes to work the procedures. With the Queen I used FS2Crew as this helps you stick to the operating procedures so I will be looking to add this once I have the NGX downloaded and runing. Hopefully that will be soon!

Dave Boreham

I intended " properly " as a deep knowledge of the NG so I voted for " weeks ". Fly her in a " quick way " it will take no more than few flights instead.

I haven't flown a good (read: non-default) 737 since I had the PMDG FS9 version. I installed FSX a few years ago after a computer crash/new cumputer purchase, so it will take a little while to relearn things. Of course, the NGX is so much more advanced than the previous version that the learning curve will be a bit steeper.

Having flown the PMDG 747-8i for hundreds of hours I guess it will take a few days. I usually arm the autothrottle when I'm lined up with the runway. At 30 feet I, retard the throttles to idle and at the same time apply slight back pressure on the stick.