Sign in to follow this  
Ty53650

Flying course reversal?

Seems when I load an approach that contains a course reversal, it doesn't actually fly it and I end up coming in waaay to high and have to go around manually. Am I missing something or are you expected to hand fly that portion? Any input greatly appreciated!

Anyone know the secret? Is it even capable of doing a course reversal?

Guest tonyf38

You can get the autopilot to fly the backcourse, but will have to control descent manually..

Guest tonyf38

Then it's not possible..

Haha correct procedure turn/course reversal, say the IAF is the LOM, and you would then fly outbound (say LOC course was 098, so you'd fly outbound on a heading of 278) then turn to 233 for 1 minute while remaining withing 10NM and then turn back and fly a heading of 053 to intercept the LOC. But the FMS doesn't load the approach like that, it just goes straight to the LOM and continues inbound leaving me way to high and fast. Perhaps you have to take over at that point or use heading select instead of LNAV?Certainly possible in the RW with the Garmin 430/530, but I obviously have NO experience shooting an approach in a 737, nor do I have any real experience using an FMS :)

Guest tonyf38

Yep, have to fly it manually or use heading select and v/s mode..

Haha correct procedure turn/course reversal, say the IAF is the LOM, and you would then fly outbound (say LOC course was 098, so you'd fly outbound on a heading of 278) then turn to 233 for 1 minute while remaining withing 10NM and then turn back and fly a heading of 053 to intercept the LOC. But the FMS doesn't load the approach like that, it just goes straight to the LOM and continues inbound leaving me way to high and fast. Perhaps you have to take over at that point or use heading select instead of LNAV? Certainly possible in the RW with the Garmin 430/530, but I obviously have NO experience shooting an approach in a 737, nor do I have any real experience using an FMS :)
Hi ! Did you check the legs page in the CDU ? Maybe there is a waypoint discontinuity ? Fred.

Guest tonyf38

Are you doing this just to practice full ILS with procedure turn??

Yep, have to fly it manually or use heading select and v/s mode..
That makes sense, since the procedure turn would be part of a VOR approach.

Hmm. Good question. It's been a while since I've had to do a course reversal. I think it's mostly a matter of selecting the correction transition in the ARR page for the approach. Also, make sure that you're not screaming in at 250kias. You should be ~200 at the IAF. Put that restriction along with the altitude restriction on the legs page, and you should make things easier.

Matt Cee

Not necessarily... It's most def. an ILS/LOC approach, check the approach plate for KBIL (Billings, MT) ILS/LOC 10L if you need an example of what I'm trying to do.