Sign in to follow this  
Jack_C

VIDEO of managing drag during Approach

Thanks a bunch for the vid Jack, that has helped me enormously, as I have been one of the poor souls who have found difficulty in slowing down this glorious bird! It's fanatstic to see a real world pilot at work with the very same plane that I fly!!biggrin.png

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

It was just a test for me if the 737 go faster on 5.5° approach. If you do all very well, then you didnt get any problem. So if you right manage your plane, then you can descent direct to the airport without to stay on any constant feet like 3000 due decelerate. Yes this plane is not certified for this airport, but the pilot do! Just virtual. ;) I do those kind of things to understand the limitation of plane. :)

Hi all. We have been noticing quite a few people have problems with slowing down and managing drag. So I made a video which points out 2 things: 1) according to my SOPs an average weighted NG (I am assuming they are referring to the -700 series since the bulk of our fleet is 700), to slow from 250-210 in LEVEL flight with NO use of drag devices, will take 35 seconds and approximately 3 miles. Now take a look at the video. It shows about 48 seconds (remember this is an 800!) and about 3.4 miles. So this is pretty darn accurate! 2) I am doing the ILS approach for runway 24L in Toronto, Canada. You will see the runway centreline on the ND. You will also see it for runway 23 because that is what I programmed for takeoff. You can see about 5 miles from LISDU I select flaps 1 and slow to flap 1 speed. I decide to even descend from 4000-3000 feet. In order to do so I thought I would throw out some more flaps to 5. A couple miles back from the FAF you can see I drop the gear and flaps 15. Then I select the landing flap before 1000 AAE. So as you can see it isn't too hard to set up for a landing. Just be prepared. Don't go zooming into the approach above 200 kts!

I have asked this question, but haven't got an answer yet, So I decided to ask you since you're a RW 737 pilot. I want to get my Captain's and FO's views as realistic as possible using EZdok. Of course I have other views that I can use to see the DUs closer and all, but tell me, what does the view look like if you're sitting in the correct position and looking straight ahead? I've attached 2 pics of what I think, based off of videos (and my imagination, of course) so please let me know if i'm close or not, and make corrections. Thanks in advanceChidi

PMDG-777-EK-SIG-MAY1713-2_zps6f2ed2be.pn

Chidiebere Anyahara

Hi all. We have been noticing quite a few people have problems with slowing down and managing drag. So I made a video which points out 2 things: 1) according to my SOPs an average weighted NG (I am assuming they are referring to the -700 series since the bulk of our fleet is 700), to slow from 250-210 in LEVEL flight with NO use of drag devices, will take 35 seconds and approximately 3 miles. Now take a look at the video. It shows about 48 seconds (remember this is an 800!) and about 3.4 miles. So this is pretty darn accurate! 2) I am doing the ILS approach for runway 24L in Toronto, Canada. You will see the runway centreline on the ND. You will also see it for runway 23 because that is what I programmed for takeoff. You can see about 5 miles from LISDU I select flaps 1 and slow to flap 1 speed. I decide to even descend from 4000-3000 feet. In order to do so I thought I would throw out some more flaps to 5. A couple miles back from the FAF you can see I drop the gear and flaps 15. Then I select the landing flap before 1000 AAE. So as you can see it isn't too hard to set up for a landing. Just be prepared. Don't go zooming into the approach above 200 kts!

Jack, this is greatly appreciated. Thank's for the info, and coming from someone who it sounds, does this for a living! :) If that's the case..I very much envy your job. Has been a dream of mine since I was a child. All the best,John

I have asked this question, but haven't got an answer yet, So I decided to ask you since you're a RW 737 pilot. I want to get my Captain's and FO's views as realistic as possible using EZdok. Of course I have other views that I can use to see the DUs closer and all, but tell me, what does the view look like if you're sitting in the correct position and looking straight ahead? I've attached 2 pics of what I think, based off of videos (and my imagination, of course) so please let me know if i'm close or not, and make corrections. Thanks in advanceChidi
Hey Chidi. Smasher77th huh? That sounds like a DCS name! I am on the road right now at work so not near my computer. I will have to get back to you on that one, ok?

I've noticed that for deceleration from 250 kts, you first disconnected the A/T and probably put the throttle in Idle. When the speed got close to 210 kts you engaged A/T again this time with 210 kts. Why didn't you just decrease the speed in the MCP without disconnect the A/T. Does it slow down faster?

Hi, First of all, I'm not real good virtual pilot of B737, I have tried to make a video that PMDG 737NGX Cold and Dark starting up to taxiHere's the link

I've noticed that for deceleration from 250 kts, you first disconnected the A/T and probably put the throttle in Idle. When the speed got close to 210 kts you engaged A/T again this time with 210 kts. Why didn't you just decrease the speed in the MCP without disconnect the A/T. Does it slow down faster?
I did it just to get a quicker response of the auto throttle reducing to idle, thats all.

I did it just to get a quicker response of the auto throttle reducing to idle, thats all.
Thank you for your answer

The 800 is harder to slow down because it has more mass.
More mass with identical wings and longer fuselage also mean higher drag for the same flight condition, so deceleration characteristics would be essentially similar. Myths develop within simmer communities about what real flying is about. Newer transport aircraft designs incorporate better knowhow and therefore higher lift over drag aircraft characteristics. From here it is easy to see why an aircraft is difficult to decelerate, it was designed that way deliberately to fly economically.

Hey Chidi. Smasher77th huh? That sounds like a DCS name! I am on the road right now at work so not near my computer. I will have to get back to you on that one, ok?
Still waiting for your reply. Thanks in advance

PMDG-777-EK-SIG-MAY1713-2_zps6f2ed2be.pn

Chidiebere Anyahara

Jack: Hard as I tried I can not get this 737NGX to slow down to save my life. Finally ended up just setting the autothrottle to off and manually manipulated the speed. I noticed in your video that you also turned autothrottle off until you were slowed down to around 210kts then turned it back on.....I tried that and it wants to accelerate back up to slightly over 200KTS, so not sure what I'm doing wrong but I'm sure it's me and not the plane. If you get around to doing another video, which I hope you do, can you zoom out enough to see the entire MCP. ThanksBob DemarestBirmingham, Al.

Hey Bob. Just finishing another video now. I would like to know why this is doing this to you. If you ever want to try teamviewer than we can do that if you like