Sign in to follow this  
Jack_C

VIDEO of managing drag during Approach

Robin, I'm trying to simplify what you are trying to say without getting involved with formulas and math. The heavier the airplane the farther away from destination the descent should be initiated to end with the same airspeed at the same point. Do you agree? I'm amazed to see people have been using spoilers the same way they use the brake pedal in their cars.. To me using spoilers is accepting defeat to poor airmanship. It seems people is not using to plan ahead. "Never fly an airplane to a point where your mind has not been 5 minutes before you get there" Joss

Get your head around this: a light aircraft and a heavy aircraft of the same type will take the same distance to descend from the same altitude, only the heavier aircraft will get there first. ... Best regards,Robin.

Can I ask a question on this? I just experienced an inability to slow down. I had knocked out both LNAV and VNAV as I was flying a vectored approach. I was level at 2500ft and the aircraft refused to decelerate from 250kts and the engines were staying at about 64%. I am getting used to the 737 admittedly, however in the 767 which I'm used to, if you are flying using the MCP you just dial in a speed and it will slow down to that speed, especially when level. I tried hitting the speed intervention button and also the green speed button on the MCP to no avail. Can someone tell me the correct procedure transiting from an L/VNAV profile to a v/s - MCP - autopilot one please?

Funny I work right here in Canada in the same town you are from and we have winglets on every one of our 700's!
Unless i'm loosing my mind, Wesjet's 700 series have winglets??

I'm gonna tell you exactly what one fine lady ( a 747 driver in real life ) told all of us over at UVA several years ago..Dont ever use vertical speed.Even in real aircraft, V/S can cause amazing problems ( like nose high stalls ) when you need them the least.. However, Once at altitude, VNav should be handing off speed control to the "speed" function of the computer. All you should need to do is set your chosen altitude, and set the speed. The flight director manages everything else after that.. Personally, i dont like auto-land as shown in the video. It aint flying.. ( notice he never disconnected the AP during the entire landing sequence ( no AP disco lights ever came on) ).

Unless i'm loosing my mind, Wesjet's 700 series have winglets??
Yep. All the planes EXCEPT the 600's have winglets.
I'm gonna tell you exactly what one fine lady ( a 747 driver in real life ) told all of us over at UVA several years ago..Dont ever use vertical speed.Even in real aircraft, V/S can cause amazing problems ( like nose high stalls ) when you need them the least.. However, Once at altitude, VNav should be handing off speed control to the "speed" function of the computer. All you should need to do is set your chosen altitude, and set the speed. The flight director manages everything else after that.. Personally, i dont like auto-land as shown in the video. It aint flying.. ( notice he never disconnected the AP during the entire landing sequence ( no AP disco lights ever came on) ).
Hmmm I am kinda curious which video you were watching. If it is mine, I did't even LAND the plane. I stopped the video about 500 agl or something.

London City works very well. Important full flaps and gear down before you are full established. Regards, Swen

Certification? What is this certification you speak of? laugh.png

Eric Vander

Pilot and Controller Boston Virtual ATC

KATL - The plural form of cow.

KORD - Something you put in a power socket.

UNIT - Something of measure

My 747 Fuel Calculator

For a very steep ILS approach that this airport requires. Both aircraft and cockpit crew certification required. It is no laughing matter (in real world). Worried.gif

think hes referring that aircraft have to be certified to be able to land at a particular airfield before they are allowed to use that airfield

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

I'm gonna tell you exactly what one fine lady ( a 747 driver in real life ) told all of us over at UVA several years ago..Dont ever use vertical speed.
For climbing presumably, surely she didn't mean don't use it for descent too?

For a very steep ILS approach that this airport requires. Both aircraft and cockpit crew certification required. It is no laughing matter (in real world). Worried.gif
think hes referring that aircraft have to be certified to be able to land at a particular airfield before they are allowed to use that airfield
I was kidding. I was making fun of how in the simulator we go wherever we want.

Eric Vander

Pilot and Controller Boston Virtual ATC

KATL - The plural form of cow.

KORD - Something you put in a power socket.

UNIT - Something of measure

My 747 Fuel Calculator

Regardless of realistic. Im a sim pilot not a RW pilot. There is me and me alone in the cockpit having to manage systems and communicate with ATC etc. This gets to be quite a burden in a "realistic" modeled sim aircraft. I believe we/designers lose that realization at times! I really do not desire, or have the time to micro manage speeds. I have resolved the speed issue using spoilers to my liking, be it realistic or not it is "simlistic." That being said it is a very informative video and well done. Thank you
Be it known I can walk and chew gum at the same time - or so the theory goes ;)>

For climbing presumably, surely she didn't mean don't use it for descent too?
Yes .. she was talking about climbing.. As I told another person in another forum, there are only three ways to get a plane from the ground to altitude, but there are a million ways to get down. I myself have been known to put a 737 in a 90 degree bank and use it as an express elevator to lower my altitude without raising my forward momentum..
Be it known I can walk and chew gum at the same time - or so the theory goes ;)>
I can remember the days when i could do that.. then i got old.. :LOL.gif: