Sign in to follow this  
SnareMV17

How did this make it out of testing?

I ran on a Dual Core AMD at 2.0GHZ at one time and get barely 10fps. I upgraded the GC and suddenly got 40 even in PMDG aircraft. Granted I run on a Arrandale i7 at 2.6GHz now I personally believe it is the GC and RAM. Tis each is own, but I will take your word for it. But the 32 vs 64-bit will make a difference and I'm going to guess he has a ton of crap on his computer as well/things open that eat up RAM and other memory.

Considering FSX cant address more than 4GB of RAM anyway (no matter what OS you are on) it doesn't amount to much. 6-8 GB is all you need. GPU will only allow you to render at higher resolutions and with massive amounts of AA and AF. Take a look at the typical usage of a GPU in FSX. It barely gets worked unless you fill it with high level AA modes such as Supersampling and the like.

Fail...........FSX is 95% CPU bound, just like every other version of FS before it. CPU and overclocking the CPU will always be the number 1 perf improver. This aint Crysis.....
It all depends whats on your system. Also helps if you defrag your pc. It not all about CPU at all. Ive upgraded my graphics card from a HD5770 to a HD6870 and im getting excellent frames. Im also running a AMD II X4 Phenom @ 2.8GHz which is pants but it works perfectly fine running at 25C with 8GB DDR2 Memory 1333mhz.

It all depends whats on your system. Also helps if you defrag your pc. It not all about CPU at all. Ive upgraded my graphics card from a HD5770 to a HD6870 and im getting excellent frames. Im also running a AMD II X4 Phenom @ 2.8GHz which is pants but it works perfectly fine running at 25C with 8GB DDR2 Memory 1333mhz.
Obviously the GPU is going to make some difference. My point is that compared to a CPU speed increase the GPU difference in negligible. Thats just the way FS (insert version here) is. Flight may change that...we will see.

Adjusting TextureMaxLoad to 9 based on your hardware.Only useful if you switch to unlimited frames and use the external limiter (great if you want a blurry mess in my experience) otherwise stick with the internal limiter and texture_bandwidth_multiplier. This tweak however will increase your FPS at the expense of image quality / the blurries. You must decide what is important to you here.
I use unlimited frames with the external limiter and I see nothing blurry in my cockpit or outside the window./shrug

I use unlimited frames with the external limiter and I see nothing blurry in my cockpit or outside the window./shrug
As I said, each to their own and such like. Even with the external limiter running FSX still renders the scenery as though it is unlimited. So for those with blurries at unlimited frames, here is piece from Steve Lacey (RIP) on the subject: http://www.steve-lacey.com/2005/11/the_blurries

I honestly can't understand how this product made it out of beta testing, with the supposed wide ranging beta team, with poor performance like this. How is it possible that they didn't comment on the fact that flying this in any sort of scenery or bad weather grinds the show to a halt? It is INCREDIBLY frustrating to know that in the 5 (thanks Heffron for correcting me) years since FSX release, I have FINALLY gotten my computer to the point where it would run things at an acceptable level. Technology has finally caught up. And now, PMDG goes and throws us all back in to the stone age. It is no longer acceptable that in this day in age, with the high quality scenery that is available (which I can run fine with my other addon A/C, including PMDG), that an aircraft addon slows it all down. What are we missing PMDG? How is it that not a single beta tester commented on this sort of performance? How is it that Nick from AoA is able to get beautifully streaming performance in the virtual cockpit, loaded up at complex addon airport, and even RECORDING to boot? What is the answer here? And the worst part is that the only fix you suggest is two little tweaks that seem like the FS community have known about since the beginning of time. We are customers that have spend THOUSANDS of dollars upgrading systems. An i7 CPU cost over $250! Purchasing one requires and entirely new mother board and ram as well. It's in the range of $600-$750 just to upgrade those three pieces. We've invested. We've spent. We even shelled out an extra $70 under the impression that this aircraft would perform. You had led us to believe that it would. Near MD-11 performance? Not even close! 747X even? Nope. Unbelievable. You lied to us PMDG. You built an awesome plane that we are going to have to wait another year or more to be able to run well. I suggest you really look closely next time around and figure out what is and is not acceptable. I can handle slightly lower resolution virtual cockpit images if it means the functionality is still up to par and the bird performs well. Just don't put us in a position where we have to consider flying something else when it comes time to fly in to the wonderful airports that we've ALSO spent our hard earned money on. I understand that with a huge leap forward in addon quality like this, it's going to take more resources. But you've hogged them all. This is the first aircraft I remember buying where the file size was SO much larger than any airport scenery I own. How is all of this necessary? I guess I need to start writing some friends at NASA and see if they'll let me install this on one of their computers, just in the hopes of ever getting to see it at higher than 15 fps. How say you, PMDG? What is your answer? Plenty of people have withheld their cash to see what performance would be, and now they are likely glad that they did. This needs to be fixed. Please do so promptly and let us really enjoy it. All of the marketing and talk about how you couldn't wait to let us experience what you've been so excited about for so long.... well we're still waiting to. -Chris Virgilio
sorry guys this time i would agree with this post,i also upgraded my system to i7-2600k,@3.70mhz,.with 8 gb ram, with gtx 590,wins 7 64 bit, but still cant fly this aircraft with all my sliders on max,something i could easily achieve with md-11 and j41,done all the tweaks i was told to do so, this is quite buggy at present,either a skeleton of the aircraft loads up and my system crashes,or i get out of memory crashes choose a lower setting error report,may be it is easy for you guys but flight simmers like me happen to be a doctor and though we are poor at configs and tweaking i still have managed to survive till date with no problems what so ever,in fact after i upgraded i was absolutely enjoying flying md-11 and j41 with beautiful graphics,and amazing performance, whats the point of lower sliders when we spend upto 3000 us dollars in india to upgrade,its expensive here,in preparation for ngx,pmdg lovers like me close my eyes and buy their product because it is worth it,however there seem to be quite a few bugs here and i wonder how this got released in the first place, i have aircrafts not loading,skeletons of aircrafts being loaded,with crashes, out of memeory crashes, panels freezing,my fsuipc files and ultimate traffic 2 files have vanished, what more can i say,that i am disappointed, may be there will be fixes later,however in between i could manage two flights and it is an amazing product no doubt,but i am flying on relatively lower slider settings!!! provided i get it to load and fly.the point here is not to bash pmdg but to try and sort out the issue,i never had so many problems with any of their earlier products ,and i have seen posts here saying if you are unhappy go make your own 737, guys if that was the case pmdg today would not have survived,just as it works in some cases it has not be doing so in our cases as well, so i hope things do turn around and we all fly this sircraft which is all we want. vivek anand

I promise you if you are running an i7 processor with a 9800gtx your system you have a huge bottleneck and its the video card. Think of it like a huge hose with a kink in it. How do you get the full flow? Remove the kink ie video card. I have a gtx 580 and I can tell you its awesome and I highly recommend it with an i7 processor. I, like others here get smooth flight everywhere with the ******* tweaks. I hope I helped. Guthrie Z
so whats your opinion on gtx 590 how do i fine tune itvivek anand

sorry guys this time i would agree with this post,i also upgraded my system to i7-2600k,@3.70mhz,.with 8 gb ram, with gtx 590,wins 7 64 bit, but still cant fly this aircraft with all my sliders on max,something i could easily achieve with md-11 and j41,done all the tweaks i was told to do so, this is quite buggy at present,either a skeleton of the aircraft loads up and my system crashes,or i get out of memory crashes choose a lower setting error report,may be it is easy for you guys but flight simmers like me happen to be a doctor and though we are poor at configs and tweaking i still have managed to survive till date with no problems what so ever,in fact after i upgraded i was absolutely enjoying flying md-11 and j41 with beautiful graphics,and amazing performance, whats the point of lower sliders when we spend upto 3000 us dollars in india to upgrade,its expensive here,in preparation for ngx,pmdg lovers like me close my eyes and buy their product because it is worth it,however there seem to be quite a few bugs here and i wonder how this got released in the first place, i have aircrafts not loading,skeletons of aircrafts being loaded,with crashes, out of memeory crashes, panels freezing,my fsuipc files and ultimate traffic 2 files have vanished, what more can i say,that i am disappointed, may be there will be fixes later,however in between i could manage two flights and it is an amazing product no doubt,but i am flying on relatively lower slider settings!!! provided i get it to load and fly.the point here is not to bash pmdg but to try and sort out the issue,i never had so many problems with any of their earlier products ,and i have seen posts here saying if you are unhappy go make your own 737, guys if that was the case pmdg today would not have survived,just as it works in some cases it has not be doing so in our cases as well, so i hope things do turn around and we all fly this sircraft which is all we want.vivek anand
You should be able to bump that 2600K up another 1ghz to 4.7ghz.Go to xtremesystems.org and do a little home work.That outta get you up there with the movie maker guy in fluidity :) Chris S

Chris Strobel KSNA

original.jpg

Hi, I know you may not want to here this, but I have no problem. I'm getting 31FPS at FSDT's KJFK. I experience minor drops to 27/24 when changing directions and I'm running a resolution of 5760x1200. Its not PMDG, its on your end. PMDG1.jpg
hi,which sofware have you used to overclock ,this is the only issue i need to do now in my i7-2600 k systemregardsvivek anand
You should be able to bump that 2600K up another 1ghz to 4.7ghz.Go to www.xtremesystems.org and do a little home work.That outta get you up there with the movie maker guy in fluidity :) Chris S
thks matevivek anand

Chris- If you'd like our help, just ask. We'd be happy to lend you some of our expertise to make sure you get the best experience possible. FWIW: We have nearly identical systems and my performance is absolutely magnificent. I understand that poor performance can be frustrating- but I'd ask that you not throw it around our necks without having at least given us the courtesy of a request for help. You'd be surprised eager we are to make sure you enjoy our products at their best.

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

TO THE ORIGINAL POSTER: Before you go spending anymore money, please delete your fsx.cfg (save a copy first), launch fsx so it can generate a fresh config file, then run that unmodified config file through *******' tool, and see if that helps.

3 year old system..Win7 64,Intel Quad Core Duo @ 2.66,9800GT,8 Gigs/RAM,running a 24" screen 1900X1200 and getting flyable frame rates. I'm suspecting he has driver or virus issues. I'd do a complete hard drive clean up..re install Windows ect.

viking21 thanks for posting this and before i go on please to others that read this i respect PMDG because i know their produtcs) sometimes its hard to make a few people understand another simers problems . in my situation i have not see any errors yet and if you look at my signature you can see that what i run even here in US it cost me a nice figure to manage just the core I7 extreme edition i run in one of my computers was 1k $ when i got it . if on release day i would got a (aircrafts not loading,skeletons of aircrafts being loaded,with crashes, out of memeory crashes, panels freezing) i would be really mad (mad on my side of the story not PMDG)and this is exactly the feeling of others like you that spend hard earn money and find out that you cant run this addon that in my opinion its the must realistic AC compare to my experience as a real world pilot .I hope you can find a way to make it run without having to put more cash into your computer .

Image removed as image is no longer available.