Sign in to follow this  
Fokker Driver

Light version?

so sean the vc texture are made in DXT1? i thought DXT5. and i sont need create mipmaps right? ive saved the vc textures in dtx5 and mipmaps...but dtx5 has a better quality, right?

so sean the vc texture are made in DXT1? i thought DXT5. and i sont need create mipmaps right? ive saved the vc textures in dtx5 and mipmaps...but dtx5 has a better quality, right?
These textures below, which are the only VC textures I have reseized are shipped DXT1 from PMDG.PMDG_NGX_Main_Panel.ddsPMDG_NGX_VC_03.dds PMDG_NGX_VC_OVHD01.dds PMDG_NGX_VC_Radios.dds Save them as DXT1 as they were originally and DONT include mip maps for the VC textures, not needed since you are sitting in the VC.Also, taking them from DXT1 to DXT5 will double the files size.Keep save the resized textures in the same format/compression as the originals.Sean Campbell

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Sorry, I misunderstood. There is someone else that asked for a "Lite" version of the NGX.I can't see not upgrading a computer to handle the NGX with all its detail. Why would I want to fly in a fuzzy cockpit?
The Cockpit isn't fuzzy at all Robert, it looks just as good as 4096 Textures.

Regards,
Jamaljé Bassue

Honestly, I believe that PMDG has optimized this software so much that you wouldn't gain a whole lot with a fuzzy version that you can't already get from turning down the settings. I believe most of the processing load comes from the highly simulated systems within the software.
Bob, Resizing the VC textures don't result in a "fuzzy" at all, in factI think you would be hard pressed to even see much of a difference in image quality of the resized versions vs. the hi-def verions. You're correct, a lot of the performance hit comes from the general complexity of the a/c itself, all we're doing is reducing the RAm overhead a tough while still maintain a "sharp" VS.Like I said before in the top of this page, you already said and then later said you understood what we were doing on page 2, so I am not sure why you bring it up again and what difference does it make to you what we are choosing to resize a few textures? We're nt ruining the plane by doing htis nor changing any functionality. To be honest, even if I was running the latest and greatest hardware I would most like still run re-sezed textures since the difference is so small and gives a lot more overhead.Regards,Sean Campbell

I believe FSX developers have gone more to the "Perty" side than the performance side.
I don't see how you can say something like this about PMDG! Show me the aircraft sim that out-performs the NGX with equal systems?

sean what happen if i resize and convert them to dxt5 or dxt3 instead of dxt1?
Did you see my reply to you a few post above? Don't do it, converting DXT1 to DXT5 doubles the file size and doens't do anything beneficial or improve looks/performance. PMDG made them DXT1 for a reason in the first place which was probably to improve performance, so no reason to deviate and make them DXT3 or 5.If you aleady made them DXT3 or DXT5, just resave them in DXTBmp as DXT1 and that will fix it so you dont have to do it all over again.Sean Campbell
I would like to thank Sean for this find! Ive resized on a top of the line system and have greatly improved performance. I see absolutly no difference in texture quality.
Glad your happy Randy. This is something you can essentially do with anything to gain a little extra performance.

This release was intended to be system intensive and accurate and directed to simmers that was looking for exactly that.If you want a lighter version of the 737, just Google 737 for FSX and you will have plenty of options.
A little arrogant for someone who can't read very well... He is not talking about taking out systems, he is simply asking if it is possible, moving forward, to optimize some of the textures and 3D aspects of the aircraft.
Going and spending 500-1500 on components or a new computer to make a 70 dollar add on work as advertised is not financially feasable. If it can be made to perform by making changes in texture size, that option must be explored first. $1,500 would buy me or a computer to make this one add on run, or I could buy 21.5 weeks worth of FOOD for that amount. I'm pleased that for some of you, spending 1000 is something doable for you, but please understand, not all of us are as well off.
You said it pal.

That is the point and objective of flight simulation. To make the experience as real as possible down to the wire. If your reason is because your system cannot handle it I understand (consider pc upgrade) but we should encourage the advancement that PMDG have started so that others will follow suit. (such as realistic bouncing wings on taxi). PMDG has done what I would consider as revolutionary simulation advancement and it is for the better of the FSX platform.
Uhh...yeah, I'll sacrifice some FPS for wingflex, because that is something that should be simulated, not a high definition smudge. I can easily stick my finger in olive oil and smear it on my screen for the same effect minus the higher demand on my system.

The only ones I see moaing about how wrong it is to use Low ReZ textures, are the ones that have spent STUPID money on a big fancy PC, probably just to run FSX, and boast about it in a long, Techie Signature, , and now seem to think that everyone else needs to do the same. NOBODY is suggesting that YOU "HAVE" to start using Low Rez Textures, but if others with lesser systems want to, really, "It is none of your Business" . Please -- GIVE IT A REST -- it has got real old, real fast. Geoff

Hi Vin, if you are taking requests, I have a i7-920 that I haven't overclocked and I am very happy with the performance. Can you increase the detail levels please so I will have an excuse to upgrade my computer?

It's real useful, especially for the less fortunate.Like myself.Jamaljé Bassueboeing737400bymoothemoo.jpgYouTube : DeadlyInertia -Intel Socket 1156/ BOXDH55HC-Intel Core i5 2500k OC@4.0Ghz-DDR3 8GB 4GB x2 (1600Mhz)-(Forgot Brand name) 250GB SSD-nVidia 9500GT (About to upgrade to 560GTX)-630Watt Power Supply
You have my sympathy...

The only ones I see moaing about how wrong it is to use Low ReZ textures, are the ones that have spent STUPID money on a big fancy PC, probably just to run FSX, and boast about it in a long, Techie Signature, , and now seem to think that everyone else needs to do the same.Geoff
LOL.gif The hardware elite. I don't see any fuzziness over the 4096 textures unless I zoom in on a knob close enough for it to fill the screen, and I don't see any scenarios arising in flight that would require me to do this.

Chris Hicks

Would someone be kind enough to explain this texture resizing process step by step...what programs I need to download (I already have Dxtbmp)...and how to manually extract the texture and alpha...stuff like that. If it is to much trouble, then I will just wait for PMDG. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Jacob Fuqua

Jacob Fuqua

Would someone be kind enough to explain this texture resizing process step by step...what programs I need to download (I already have Dxtbmp)...and how to manually extract the texture and alpha...stuff like that. If it is to much trouble, then I will just wait for PMDG. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Jacob Fuqua
Hi Jacob,I posted the instructions on page 2, but i'll list them again for you in greater detail.Assuming you just want to do the VC textures you will need to find the following 4 textures in the texture.VC folder in the 800 non winglet models.They are all 2048 X 2048 with the exception of the Main Panel which is 4096 X 1024, and I resized them to the sizes shown next to the file names below.PMDG_NGX_Main_Panel.dds to 2048 X 512PMDG_NGX_VC_03.dds to 1024 X 1024PMDG_NGX_VC_OVHD01.dds to 1024 X 1024PMDG_NGX_VC_Radios.dds to 1024 X 1024Once you have located the 4 files make a back up of them in case you mess up resizing them.Then since you already have DXTBmp you will need an program like Photoshop, Coral, or GIMP which is freeware and is what I used.1st - Load the first texture you want to resize into GIMP2nd - In the top menu of DXTBmp go to Image and select Send to Editor, this will load the texture into GIMP, Photoshop or whatever editor you use, but you will need to set that up first using the Prefs -> Select Editor option ahead of time3rd - Once the texture is loaded into your editor, resize it to either 1024 X 1024 or 2048 X 512 for the Main Panel texture.4th - Once it's resized save it. Now there are two ways to go here. You can save the resized file to your desktop using the preset name your editor gives you or you can save it to the temp folder that your editor uses them go back into DXTBmp and hit Image -> Reload After Edit option. For me since I am low on RAM I had to actually save the resized image to my desktop since the oter option didn't always work correctly for me. Once you save the new texture close it out of your editor so that when you send the next image to it, it doesn't accidentally load as a new layer.5 - Next you will have to go back into DXTBmp and hit the Alpha -> Send Alpha to Editor and resize the alpha channel and save it to your desktop or save it to your tmp folder to be reloaded back into DXTBmp.6. Assuming you save both the resized texture .bmp file and the alpha channel .bmp to your desktop, you can then reload the texture file back into DXTBmp by dragging and dropping in into DXTBmp. Then hit the Alpha -> Import Alpha Channel and reload the alpha channel from your desktop.7. Once you have loaded both the texture and alpha channel back into DXTBmp, simply save it as as .dds file in DXT1 compression without mip maps, using the same file name as the original .dds texture you are going to replace it with.That's it, repeat the same for each one. If your going to do the exterior liveries you can follow the same process but make sure to save them as DXT5 with mip maps, or whatever compression they started out as. If I remember correctly all the exterior textures were DXT5. On the exterior textures I also did the specular and bump maps if they were 4096 or 2048 to make them 1024 as well.Lastly, if you save the textures and alphas to your desktop as you are doing each one, you can use the default name that DXTBmp gives them, like norm for the textue and trans for the alpha if I remember correctly, and when you save each one to your desktop, make sure you save those files as .bmp's not .dds. You only need to save them as .dds when you put the texture and alpha channel back together in DXTBmp and resave it after you have resized it. Make sure of course that after you recompile the textures to delete the norm and trans file from your desktop so that when you do the next set you dont accidentally re-use one of the wrong ones if you dont over write it when saving the new one.Hope that helps. I know it sounds confusing at first, but in reality it only takes a few minutes to do each one of the four VC textures. Of course if its too much for you to understand or try you can just wait for the official version to be released from PMDG, but if you decide to give it a shot, please make sure to make a backup of the original textures first.Sean Campbell