Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michael Steininger

Complete Freeze in OrbX Scenery YBCS (Cairns)

Hello,until today I was one of those without any problems flying the NGX.And before submitting a ticket by PMDG I wanna hear, if there is anybody who canconfirm this.Just now I am flying in Australia, which is completly covered with OrbX Sceneries andAirports. I have one big problem in YBCS (Cairns). Doing the settings on the Perf Init Pageand confirm this setting by pressing the EXEC button i get a complete freeze of FSX.The screen becomes milky and nothing happens. I can finish the Sim only by using thetaskmanager. This occurs only in YBCS. Anybody with similiar Problems in Cairns or other Addon Sceneries? PS, I don't have the hotfix installed. Regards

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I just landed there without problems using Orbx and ASE. Edit:- I just exited and loaded up with the Virgin livery and from C&D took off again for YBBN. No problems encountered.

Hello,until today I was one of those without any problems flying the NGX.And before submitting a ticket by PMDG I wanna hear, if there is anybody who canconfirm this.Just now I am flying in Australia, which is completly covered with OrbX Sceneries andAirports. I have one big problem in YBCS (Cairns). Doing the settings on the Perf Init Pageand confirm this setting by pressing the EXEC button i get a complete freeze of FSX.The screen becomes milky and nothing happens. I can finish the Sim only by using thetaskmanager. This occurs only in YBCS. Anybody with similiar Problems in Cairns or other Addon Sceneries? PS, I don't have the hotfix installed. Regards
Happened to me descending into Cairns approaching BARIA intersection. Went to enter my approach selection and the system froze. Have since flown out of Cairns to Brisbane with a small freeze which I overcame by cycling the screen views using 'A' on the keyboard. Have now installed the Hotfix and plan a visit to Cairns this evening to test the efficacy of the fix.

I just landed there without problems using Orbx and ASE. Edit:- I just exited and loaded up with the Virgin livery and from C&D took off again for YBBN. No problems encountered.
Hello, reading your post, i had an idea and tried another route.Yesterday it was also possible to land at YBCS without problems. Then I tried always programming a flight from YBCS to YPDN (Darwin) and that caused this freeze.Now I am flying from YBCS to YSSY. The setup of the FMS made no problems, I got no freeze.Maybe, there is an error in the current Airac cycle. Michael

Post the full details of the route that caused the problem (including runway, SID, STAR etc) and I will see if I can reproduce it.

no problesm for me just did a flight from ymml to ybcs landed on rwy 15 at cains at nite yea post the details and i do the flight as well to see if i get the issue

Also getting some issues at Orbx scenerys, including full PC lockups (mouse won't move, pressing "numlock" on keyboard doesn't bring up the numlock light for minutes at a time). I'm pretty sure it's just my PC needing some upgrades. Not sure if it's Ram, HDD, or video card, but Im sure it's one of those. Running FSinn/vatsim + Activesky Evolution, etc can't be helping either, but last night I was flying into YMML and on final to rwy 34 off the LIZZI5A at about 300ft during a night-time landing, the system hung (full lockup, mouse cursor not moving, Vatsim voice cut-out mid-word etc) right about when the strobes started reflecting off the ground. Stayed hung for at least 2 minutes, and the system clock dropped back 2 minutes. I got up off my chair, had a drink, cleaned my cup. came back to the desk and was considering hitting the reset button when suddenly the vatsim transmissions in the last 2 minutes suddenly played back, and the thing slapped into the runway (no flare cos I wasn't actually holding the stick!). Im running an i7 950 with a GTX460 GPU on 4GB ram. Couldn't tell much about the HDD but I'v only got one internal HDD currently and it's got both the OS and FSX running on it. Might have a couple hundred spare $$ next month to do something about that tho.. considering upping the ram to 8GB and looking into an additional HDD to run FSX off on it's own. Till then YMML is a daytime only airport for the time being, and changing views and panning inside the VC is with care. YBBN YSCB and YBCS are also likley to be problematic, though I havn't tried yet. That people with 8GB memory, i7 2600's and 460GTX GPU's have issues worries me a little though ... What kinda system do we need to run the NGX into YBBN on a dark stormy night on vatsim with FSinn on a big vatsim flyin I wonder... Trent H

Post the full details of the route that caused the problem (including runway, SID, STAR etc) and I will see if I can reproduce it.
Here it is: YBCS to YPDN BIB1 BIB DCT KONDA J61 CRAIG CRAIG2Active Rwy in YBCS 15Active Rwy in YPDN 29FL340 Regards

Here it is: YBCS to YPDN BIB1 BIB DCT KONDA J61 CRAIG CRAIG2Active Rwy in YBCS 15Active Rwy in YPDN 29FL340 Regards
hi just inputed what u posted and got ctd got the pale screen and fsx not responding i got it when i pressed the exe button after i finished loading the route in so looks like it related to the airac data since this is the first time i had a ctd in this darn mite try another route to see if it works edit ok everytime i use the sid bib1 i get the ctd if i dont use it ie use another sid no problems at all so dont use the bib1 sid at all

I got one using the ARBEY 1 approach to RNWY 27 @ YMML. Freeze at the BOL NDB. Using ORBX YMML

I am having the same problem with Brisbane and Cairns.... CTD when leaving or arriving at Brisbane. CTD on decent into Cairns. I have completed a couple of flights from Sydney to Canberrra (Orbx) without any problems... My computer is high running SDD drive for FSX and Windows Ultimate 64 Andrew

I am having the same problem with Brisbane and Cairns.... CTD when leaving or arriving at Brisbane. CTD on decent into Cairns. I have completed a couple of flights from Sydney to Canberrra (Orbx) without any problems... My computer is high running SDD drive for FSX and Windows Ultimate 64 Andrew
Hello, you have to distinguish. I have had problems in this area also, but with all aircrafts. In your case it seems to be alsoa g3d.dll crash, regardless to the NGX. Regards

Hello, you have to distinguish. I have had problems in this area also, but with all aircrafts. In your case it seems to be alsoa g3d.dll crash, regardless to the NGX. Regards
hi only have this prob with the ngx (all other pmdg aircraft havnt had any probs yet) at cains using the sid bib1 departure so far this is the only one that i have probs with

I hope to try it tonight. Have you tried the same flight plan with ORBx truned off?

For what it's worth, I've done YSCB-YBCS a few times and had no issues. The only crashes I've had seem to be flying the NGX around the Seattle area. I'm guessing the combination of NGX, ORBX, and maybe a weather program + HD clouds etc just eventually kills FSX. We're really pushing the engine past what it was designed for, a few g3d.dll failures are likely to happen in dense/highly detailed areas when as many addons as we're all running are stacked on top of each other. My suggestion for now is to lower scenery complexity and/or autogen when flying into problematic areas, as much as I hate to do so. -stefan

For what it's worth, I've done YSCB-YBCS a few times and had no issues. The only crashes I've had seem to be flying the NGX around the Seattle area. I'm guessing the combination of NGX, ORBX, and maybe a weather program + HD clouds etc just eventually kills FSX. We're really pushing the engine past what it was designed for, a few g3d.dll failures are likely to happen in dense/highly detailed areas when as many addons as we're all running are stacked on top of each other. My suggestion for now is to lower scenery complexity and/or autogen when flying into problematic areas, as much as I hate to do so. -stefan
What happend in Cairns with my System is definitively not an g3d.dll error!Paul I will try it as soon as possibel at Cairns with OrbX turned off. Regards

Michael,I just did the route you listed using the ORBX YBCS and the NGX with the AIRAC cycle that came with the NGX and it worked fine on my rig, so I am guessing that it has nothing to do with the airac data since mine worked flawlessly.Sean Campbell

That people with 8GB memory, i7 2600's and 460GTX GPU's have issues worries me a little though ... What kinda system do we need to run the NGX into YBBN on a dark stormy night on vatsim with FSinn on a big vatsim flyin I wonder... Trent H
2500k or 2600k is the cpu of choice, along with a 400 or 500 series GTX gpu As for issues, the freeze problem appear's to be software related and even if you have the above in your rig, won't make it a super computer. You will still have to work at set up and compromises.Regards,

I hope to try it tonight. Have you tried the same flight plan with ORBx truned off?
Hello, I tried it with OrbX turned off. Nothing changed, same problem.

checked the route with NGX (RTM) und latest patched ORBX world without any problems, too. But the first thing i did after noticing strange behavior while choosing a STAR @PHOG (Kaluhui, Hawaii) was to reinstall the standalone AIRAC 1108 by Navigraph. I had no crash in that situation but i wasn't able to select RWY/STAR anymore. The LSK to select RWY/STAR triggered this screen:

Just a thought. I only had one freeze in my very first flight just to try out before setting up things properly and i did not have EzDok in use at that time, so i used 2D pop up view for my FMC input. After setting up, i have not had one single freeze.I notice in paul's screen shot that the FMC is in 2D. I use all preset 3D views with EzDock and never use the 2D windows. Could 2D-3D mix have anything to do with the problem?

I see a lot of you are posting your system specs in your taglines which is good. However what you are not posting is your graphics settings in FSX. That might help the PMDG Team more if you were able to post those as well. If your running the 737-NGX on a Sandy Bridge and a GTX 400 or 500 series with all the settings maxed out and then flying into a very intensive scenery such as ORBX - YBBN, YBCS or YSCB could it be your overloading your systems? The Sandy Bridge is an Excellent Processor and the GTX 400 and 500 series are great video cards, but they won't perform miracles if your trying to max out your systems with all the sliders to the right. System SpecsQ6600 Quad core overclocked at 3.0 ghz8 Gig OCS Reaper memory8800GTX Video Card with 768 meg ramFSX and add-ons on a Dedicated DriveNick N and ******* A tweaks in FSX.Cfg FSX settings 1680x1050x32 ResolutionTarget Frame UnlimitedGlobal Textures Very HighLens Flare CheckedAdvanced Animations Checked High Resolution 3-D virtual CockpitAircraft Shadows OFFAircraft Landing Lights ON Level of Detail Radius LargeMesh Complexity 100Mesh Resolution 10mTexture Resolution 60cmWater Effects Low2xScenery Complexity Extremely DenseAutoGen Density NORMALGround Scenery Shadows OFFSpecial Effects Detail HIGH Visual Settings 60 milesDownload Winds alot CheckedDisable Thermal Turbulence near aircraft Checked (will stop the s-turning problem)Rate at which weather changes overtime 0Detailed Clouds MaximumTraffic 0I have flown into FSDreamTeam, FlyTampa, EIREsim, UK2000, LatinVFR, and Aerosoft sceneries to name a few with the above settings and have not had any problems. I also use ASE, GEX, REX, UTX and FS Global 2010.As you can see I do not have my settings maxed out but still at a quality level that I am able to enjoy my sim until I can upgrade to a Sandy Bridge. Remember that maxing out Water, Clouds and Autogen is the biggest FPS killer.Also important to note that on the ground I am using 2d-panel View, and Virtual Cockpit in the air. Will be flying down to Austrailia soon and will let you know my results with ORBX - YBBN, YBCS, YMML and YSCB.If any of you have had a problem with not being able to see the runway and papi lights on approach in 2d-panel view I changed the panel config with the following line and now I have no problem with the view. Edit your panel.cfg and change the line currently in there to the one below. I got that line from the PMDG MD-11 and it works great. VIEW_FORWARD_DIR=3.3, 0.0, 0.0Finally let me say that its possible the problems with the Airports are an AIRACS or FMC problem. But it will be much easier for the PMDG Team to track down the problem if you provide as much information as possible. (Hardware Specs, FSX Settings, Add-ons)

I think you guys are making this more difficult than what it needs to be. The issues in this thread are for sure bad navdata routines. Heck, I remember some bad navdata routines doing this same CTD/freeze stuff years ago with other aircraft. If your getting these issues just after hitting the exe button on the fmc, all arrows point to the navdata files.

I think you guys are making this more difficult than what it needs to be. The issues in this thread are for sure bad navdata routines. Heck, I remember some bad navdata routines doing this same CTD/freeze stuff years ago with other aircraft. If your getting these issues just after hitting the exe button on the fmc, all arrows point to the navdata files.
It is most likely the AIRACS but you never know. I think one way of finding out would be to just fly in on the opposite runway with a different STAR and see if it crashes. If it doesn't then you know its the AIRACS. Might also help to try the approach in both 2d and 3d panel view to see if that makes any difference.