Sign in to follow this  
IFR7700

Capturing the Localizer

Okay, as is obvious, I am new to practically all this stuff. I constantly fly the tutorial, and am getting pretty good at it. The only question I have not been able to answer on my own concerns the phrase "capture the localizer". The tutorial instructs me to press the VOR/LOC button to arm the autopilot to intercept the localizer. I am familiar with ILS approaches, and know the pink diamonds guide you down, but what exactly does "capture the localizer" mean? What is a localizer? Where is the localizer guage? What indications are there that it has been captured" What does it have to do with the glideslope? What exactly does "most of the MCP mode button lights blank out" mean? How do I know when to press the APP button? Any explanation, in very basic terms, would be appreciated. I have RTFM, but my head hurts and this is easier, and better. TIA

Dennis Trawick

Screen Shot Forum Rules

AVSIMSignature_zpsed110b13.jpg

Heya, From your signature:

Private Pilots LicenseCommercial Pilots LicenseMulti-engine ratedInstrument rated
if i re-read your question: you must be kidding, are you??I really hope either your question, or your signature is a joke....

Same as the glidepath on an ILS approach, except in the horizontal plane instead of the vertical. Look for the pink diamonds along the bottom of the display. This is a good source for information navigation and navaids: http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/

When you are about to enter the final approach path you will close in on the localizer beam of the runway (the green wedges in the FSX map that some airports have): You will see that a diamond will come alive at the bottom of the attitude indicator but instead of being magenta it is white and not filled. That means that you receive signals from the ILS antenna but that you aren't properly in range yet. This is a good time to press the VOR/LOC button on the MCP. The autopilot will now be ready to capture the localizer, the center of the ILS directional beam that is lined up with the runway and that is supposed to guide the aircraft to it. When you get closer the diamond will turn magenta and once you are close enough the VOR/LOC mode that you armed before will engage automatically. The aircraft has captured the localizer and will start to automatically move itself into the right approach path to the runway by centering the diamond below the attitude indicator. Instead of the white VOR/LOC indication above the attitude indicator you will get a green indication now. This also when you are supposed to engage the approach mode by pressing APP. Around that time or before you will also notice a second diamond on the right, between the attitude indicator and the altitude tape. This is your glide slope indicator. Just like the localizer is supposed to keep the aircraft centered on its horizontal approach to the runway the glideslope is supposed to do the same for the vertical path and the stable descent to the ground. Ideally the diamond starts out above the center of its range, which means that you are still below the glidepath, because you are still too far away and the diagonal beam of the glideslope passes above your aircraft. The closer you get to the point where that diagonal beam intersects with your flight path the more the diamond moves down to the center. Once it hits the middle the aircraft has captured the glideslope and will begin an automatic descent. This moment is also marked by a green G/S indicator above the attitude indicator. You are now properly established on the localizer beam of the runway's ILS transmitter and you can engage CMD B to initate the autoland mode, provided you've set up everything correctly for that (there are topics that explain it better). If you are set both CMD buttons will stay illuminated. If not the CMD A button will extinguish and you are just on a normal ILS auto approach with the need to perform the landing manually. Of course you can also capture the localizer/glideslope manually without the autopilot's help by centering both diamonds yourself and keeping them centered. As for your signature: I don't think so. ;)

Capturing the localizer simply means manoeuvring the aircraft onto a heading, which will intercept the localizer beam of the runway on which you intend to land... Patrick's description is by far the more accurate though... Though I would expect a PPL/CPL/ME/IFR/CFI guy to know this already... or is it not a standard phrase in aviation? I am also confused by your signature... Andrew

lol what can i say maybe this was left out of his training

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

LOL.gif Without making any direct accusation, it appears that there are a number of members here listing their non-existent flight credentials and qualifications. Does it make me a lesser person that I do not own a PPL or whatnot? I suppose it is just one of the evils of the generally faceless society online... Andrew

Hi The ILS has a couple of components, the two primary ones being the Localiser (LLZ) and the Glide-Path (GP), and markers being the other (not-so-well known) components.The LLZ provides lateral guidance and as you understand, the GP provides vertical guidance up to DH or down to the ground, dependent on the category for the ILS in use.In modern aircraft, both the LLZ and GP guidance are superimposed on the PFD - in training (Non-Glass) aircraft and other older aircraft, that have IR capability, the CDI would allow double up as the reference instrument for the ILS Approach.Capturing the LLZ simply means that you have aligned with the lateral guidance that will allow you land the aircraft down the middle of the runway, provided required tracking is maintained when shooting the approach or where applicable, engaging autoland.There is another type of approach guidance in use called Microwave Landing system (MLS) however its limited to some countries in Europe and mainly to military airfields. The primary difference from the ILS was that the MLS provided both vertical and horizontal guidance from the same box. Hope this helps in some way

Okay, thanks, I got it. It's just phraseology I wasn't aware of, or had forgotten. I guess some explanation for my signature is in order. I haven't flown since the early 1980's. When I was in the United States Navy, I used my G.I. bill (the old version) to obtain those licenses and certifications. I don't know how it is now, but it used to be that if you obtained your pilot's license, you were a pilot for life, unless the FAA withdrew your certifications. You only had to requalify medically and with a checkride by an employer or aircraft owner. For reasons I won't get into, I lost my ability to obtain a medical certificate, and haven't flown since 1981. Back then we only had VOR, DME, ADF and a crude but effective form of ILS. Digital was merely an experiment in some nerdy geeks lab. I really don't remember the phrase "capture the localizer" . I looked at some of my old books, and couldn't find it.Perhaps now you can understand my excitement at "discovering" FSX and the NGX. I'm flying again, dusting off some old memories and reliving my youth. If my signature is offensive, I will be glad to remove it, but I earned every one of those licenses and ratings, and in my mind, I still deserve each of them.

Dennis Trawick

Screen Shot Forum Rules

Okay, thanks, I got it. It's just phraseology I wasn't aware of, or had forgotten. I guess some explanation for my signature is in order. I haven't flown since the early 1980's. When I was in the United States Navy, I used my G.I. bill (the old version) to obtain those licenses and certifications. I don't know how it is now, but it used to be that if you obtained your pilot's license, you were a pilot for life, unless the FAA withdrew your certifications. You only had to requalify medically and with a checkride by an employer or aircraft owner. For reasons I won't get into, I lost my ability to obtain a medical certificate, and haven't flown since 1981. Back then we only had VOR, DME, ADF and a crude but effective form of ILS. Digital was merely an experiment in some nerdy geeks lab. I really don't remember the phrase "capture the localizer" . I looked at some of my old books, and couldn't find it. Perhaps now you can understand my excitement at "discovering" FSX and the NGX. I'm flying again, dusting off some old memories and reliving my youth. If my signature is offensive, I will be glad to remove it, but I earned every one of those licenses and ratings, and in my mind, I still deserve each of them.
Worried.gif Thanks for your service...I assumed your signature was false because of the tags in your thread like noob, morale : Never judge a book by it's cover!

Regards,
Jamaljé Bassue

Excellent ... thank you very much. I really don't think they used that term 30 years ago, but I could be wrong.

When you are about to enter the final approach path you will close in on the localizer beam of the runway (the green wedges in the FSX map that some airports have): You will see that a diamond will come alive at the bottom of the attitude indicator but instead of being magenta it is white and not filled. That means that you receive signals from the ILS antenna but that you aren't properly in range yet. This is a good time to press the VOR/LOC button on the MCP. The autopilot will now be ready to capture the localizer, the center of the ILS directional beam that is lined up with the runway and that is supposed to guide the aircraft to it. When you get closer the diamond will turn magenta and once you are close enough the VOR/LOC mode that you armed before will engage automatically. The aircraft has captured the localizer and will start to automatically move itself into the right approach path to the runway by centering the diamond below the attitude indicator. Instead of the white VOR/LOC indication above the attitude indicator you will get a green indication now. This also when you are supposed to engage the approach mode by pressing APP. Around that time or before you will also notice a second diamond on the right, between the attitude indicator and the altitude tape. This is your glide slope indicator. Just like the localizer is supposed to keep the aircraft centered on its horizontal approach to the runway the glideslope is supposed to do the same for the vertical path and the stable descent to the ground. Ideally the diamond starts out above the center of its range, which means that you are still below the glidepath, because you are still too far away and the diagonal beam of the glideslope passes above your aircraft. The closer you get to the point where that diagonal beam intersects with your flight path the more the diamond moves down to the center. Once it hits the middle the aircraft has captured the glideslope and will begin an automatic descent. This moment is also marked by a green G/S indicator above the attitude indicator. You are now properly established on the localizer beam of the runway's ILS transmitter and you can engage CMD B to initate the autoland mode, provided you've set up everything correctly for that (there are topics that explain it better). If you are set both CMD buttons will stay illuminated. If not the CMD A button will extinguish and you are just on a normal ILS auto approach with the need to perform the landing manually. Of course you can also capture the localizer/glideslope manually without the autopilot's help by centering both diamonds yourself and keeping them centered. As for your signature: I don't think so. ;)
Hi The ILS has a couple of components, the two primary ones being the Localiser (LLZ) and the Glide-Path (GP), and markers being the other (not-so-well known) components.The LLZ provides lateral guidance and as you understand, the GP provides vertical guidance up to DH or down to the ground, dependent on the category for the ILS in use.In modern aircraft, both the LLZ and GP guidance are superimposed on the PFD - in training (Non-Glass) aircraft and other older aircraft, that have IR capability, the CDI would allow double up as the reference instrument for the ILS Approach.Capturing the LLZ simply means that you have aligned with the lateral guidance that will allow you land the aircraft down the middle of the runway, provided required tracking is maintained when shooting the approach or where applicable, engaging autoland.There is another type of approach guidance in use called Microwave Landing system (MLS) however its limited to some countries in Europe and mainly to military airfields. The primary difference from the ILS was that the MLS provided both vertical and horizontal guidance from the same box. Hope this helps in some way
Most appreciated. You can certainly tell who the "clowns" are around here. I'm proned to a little clowning myself. We used the ILS, but back then we just sorta watched it fade in. Didn't have any buttons to push, just tune the freq. and watch. Things sure have improved since then.

Dennis Trawick

Screen Shot Forum Rules

Ryanair use a fishing net to capture the localizer !! LMAO.gifLMAO.gif

Hold on here, I had the impression (from flying simpler sims) that the "app" button could capture BOTH the localizer and the glideslope, in other words, I could just press the "app" button when I got close to intercepting the runway course and the plane would grab it (the horizontal course), and when it hit the glideslope from below, it would also grb the glideslope., If I read the above correctly, in this plane pressing the "app" button is not enough to grab both the horizontal and vertical guidance? If so, there should be a "warning" in the manual addressed to fans flying other models. I have also read that this plane, contrary to most, can grab the glideslope from above? Henri

Henri Arsenault