Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Haito

Massive FPS & scenery improvement

I have just tried using the nVidia 3d settings manager for fsx and took everything off 'application controlled' and wound everything up to max on both global settings and application settings. The result - instant approx 15 fps improvement from about 17 on takeoff with hills a bit blurry to 30fps (externally limited) plus best scenery quality I've ever had (NZ/Wellington). Very, very happy... Andrew VincentE8600 3.5GHzGTS2504MB Corsair

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

You mean like this as discussed in the main PMDG sticky?http://forum.avsim.net/topic/324786-nvidia-configuration-guide-inspector-2xxxx-drivers-version-20-explanations-of-all-settings/

Ronan,Try the sticky instructions but let the Antialiasing - Transparency to OFF.This is indeed a frame killer.

I have just tried using the nVidia 3d settings manager for fsx and took everything off 'application controlled' and wound everything up to max on both global settings and application settings. The result - instant approx 15 fps improvement from about 17 on takeoff with hills a bit blurry to 30fps (externally limited) plus best scenery quality I've ever had (NZ/Wellington). Very, very happy... Andrew VincentE8600 3.5GHzGTS2504MB Corsair
I think you need to be a bit more specifc as to 'what' exectly you did. And what exactly are you calling "the nVidia 3d settings manager for fsx"??? Thanks Joe

Ronan,Try the sticky instructions but let the Antialiasing - Transparency to OFF.This is indeed a frame killer.
Thanks, FPS up by about 3 in average, but nothing compared to the 15 the OP talked about, Ah well, every little helps, Thanks David, appreciate it.

Assume you are refering to Antialiasing transparency multisampling and not Antialiasing transparency 'supersampling' ?

Assume you are refering to Antialiasing transparency multisampling and not Antialiasing transparency 'supersampling' ?
He's referring to both. They are both transparency settings for the given sampling.

He's referring to both. They are both transparency settings for the given sampling.
So are we saying that this will improve performance over Ryans original Nvidia Inspector cofig. guide?

So are we saying that this will improve performance over Ryans original Nvidia Inspector cofig. guide?
Yes. Any AA transparency setting besides "OFF" can/will have a noticeable impact on frame rates, especially when dense clouds are visible.

Yes. Any AA transparency setting besides "OFF" can/will have a noticeable impact on frame rates, especially when dense clouds are visible.
Thanks Zach.

You're welcome! I'd play around with it, Rick. I found a decent compromise I'm happy with. Untitled-3.png

Yes, well known but only with 2 x SGSS I can eliminate shimmering on some airports ( in this case airports with no mips), fortunately despite this, performance is good with my system.

You're welcome! I'd play around with it, Rick. I found a decent compromise I'm happy with.
I see a few more changes there and you have close to the same card as mine. How's your performance on NGX? Untitled-3.png

I see a few more changes there and you have close to the same card as mine. How's your performance on NGX?
It's good, considering the environmental addons and FSX slider settings. I'll put it this way: Any FPS issues I have are not caused by the IQ settings I use with Nvidia Inspector.

It's good, considering the environmental addons and FSX slider settings. I'll put it this way: Any FPS issues I have are not caused by the IQ settings I use with Nvidia Inspector.
Me, i'm happy too but always looking for improvement. Thanks again.Regards,

Rick, you might also try AA 8xS and Multisampling on. That's a nice compromise.

I assume this is for nvidia users only? I have two ati5870 cards. I thought ******* told us (maybe ati users only) to leave AA and AF to "application controlled" in the cataylst control center and to tick AA on within fsx? Am I screwing it up? If so anyone point me in the right direction...

Rick, you might also try AA 8xS and Multisampling on. That's a nice compromise.
Thanks will try and compare.

I assume this is for nvidia users only? I have two ati5870 cards. I thought ******* told us (maybe ati users only) to leave AA and AF to "application controlled" in the cataylst control center and to tick AA on within fsx? Am I screwing it up? If so anyone point me in the right direction...
You're correct, Eric. We're Nvidia users. I honestly have no ATI gfx card experience since the old Radeon 9800 Pro (2002?). I'm sorry I can give no feed back on newer ATI cards and IQ settings with regards to FSX.

Hi Eric, I am a user of ATI cards including the 5870.At this time I untick application controlled AA in CCC and set it at 4X.In FSX I leave AA unticked.I leave AF application controlled in CCC and selected in FSX.I have spent a good deal of time trying different configures and this has worked the best so far.Chris Strobel

I run 8x (24x sample) Super-sampling AA, 16x AF, and I still get nearly 50 FPS with the NGX. My system: AMD Phenom II X4 970 (3.5 GHz)1 Gb Sapphire AMD 67908 Gb DR3 1333 MHzWin 7 x64Asus M4A89GTD Pro w/ USB 3 (890GTX chipset) All speeds stock. Best regards,Robin.