Sign in to follow this  
Houghton11

Northern/Polar Operations

Found it, sort of. It's on the MIP for the Classic, but I haven't found it yet for the NG. I'd think it would be somewhat in the same area, though. IMG_1113.jpg(Picture taken by me in 2008, a SAS 737-400)

Found it, sort of. It's on the MIP for the Classic, but I haven't found it yet for the NG. I'd think it would be somewhat in the same area, though.
Nice catch. TBH though I would think it might be just about anywhere. Overhead, main panel, anywhere. Just not on the NGX... Hypnotized.gifsig.gif

No luck finding it for me...I think some westjet 37's are equipped for it but I havnt been able to get in touch with any Jetters out there to confirm anything. It's not automatic in the NGX as far as I can tell and isn't modelled...So..I just hope PMDG doesnt brush the request aside but it's their decision I guess.

I guess no comment means its not modelled or there would be some word from someone at PMDG. Thats to bad maybe they r looking into it in one of there SP. hope so William Coade

I think there is an option on the CDU to choose from true or north. There is no switch i think.Maybe is an airline option.

The Heading Reference Switch is up near the IRS equipment on the NG, on the overhead (as opposed to on the main panel on most other aeroplanes such as the 757), but it's an option, not standard equipment, and it's usually for long range routing over the poles, so you'd mostly find it on ERs and BBJs, if at all, so if you see it on the PMDG, it will probably be on one of those if they choose to model that option (unlikely I would have thought). It is a toggle switch that flips the source for navigational data between magnetic and true north for the systems, but it actually flips automatically when you hit certain coordinates, although the official Boeing procedure is to switch it manually before that happens to avoid losing position data in the IRS. If you want to know more about it, search for 'polar option' on Boeing's site. There are a few things it negates when in use, including the HGS. Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Guys I'd say the NGX has no switch like that. You'll find some information about it in the FCOM because the FCOM is written for the NG AND for the Classic. The Classic has one, but the NG not. That's the reason why there isn't any switch like that. And because there isn't such a switch I'd guess that there are 2 possibilitys why:1) The NG does switch automaticlly between the 2 modes2) As far as I know there aren't any routes which might be flowen with a NG which would require polar navigation and so why should Boeing include a polar navigation system in an aircraft which can't fly polar ops?

Greetings from the 737 flightdeck!

Tried finding an answer for you guys whilst I had a break at work but I couldn't find an exact answer. All I could find out is that the Common Display System automatically switches between Magnetic Heading and True Heading... So i'm guessing, the Display Electronics Unit would be the culprit. Ash Frew.

You could always try looking at my reply on post number 39, where I explained where to find the heading reference switch, and why it's not found on most NGs. Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here