Sign in to follow this  
danieln

How serious do you take the NGX?

How serious do you take the NGX? What rules do you set when you fly the NGX (if any)? Do you ever drink on the job? Maybe you enforce a ban? Or perhaps when you leave your PC unattended during cruise, you monitor your flights progress through your iPad at the other end of the house- constantly. [Caution]: A reinforcement of common-sense since we have brought up drinking and flying. It is strictly forbidden in real life and should never be attempted under any circumstance. I'm sure everyone knows why.

I smoked a fatty just before flight last night LOL (joke)I actualy take it quite seriously and will actualy remain "in the cockpit" until the plane is parked at the arrival airport. I try to make it as real as it gets.

That is an interesting thought - I actually flew in the simulator for the first time while having a beer just recently. Although I rarely drink the weather was so hot and humid that even I enjoyed the beer. But I had the feeling that it kind of spoiled the make-believe. I mean, most of us are sitting at a desk in front of a computer screen - totally unrealistic - yet I still do get some feeling of immersion, which for me drinking something with alcohol didn't improve. In real life I have a strict personal zero-alcohol policy with anything that involves driving a car or flying a plane. I don't take flying in the sim that seriously (for example, I don't do calculations for takeoff or extensive fuel-planning) but again I was a bit surprised that I lost some of the immersion.

I will take it very serious, when I get it. (waiting for a patch or Sp1) As I always do when simming.For me this isn´t a game, it´s a feeling of the real thing, that´s why it´s called Flightsim.Game for me is Need for speed and such..../ Leffe

Mix and Match. Some flights will be a serious attempt to emulate a real world experience, where careful planning and preparation are as much a part of the enjoyment as the flyng itself. At other times, I'll kick back with a beer or three and just have some fun, if that means slewing, time acceleration and pausing, or changing fuel (or even aircraft) mid flight, thats fine.

FSX is only a GAME. !! Sorry, but if you think otherwise, you really do need to get a life.

FSX is only a GAME. !! Sorry, but if you think otherwise, you really do need to get a life.
Ha ha...I already have a life!...but I guess you ain´t old enough, so for you maybe everything is a game. LOL.gif / Leffe

Yes, it is a game. A game where the lives of 162 passengers, 5 other crew members, and 3 cargo containers full of Intel i7 processors depend on you to deliver them safely to their destination.

Sorry, it's a way of lifestyle and NGX ought to be considered as serious as it's possible.

That is an interesting thought - I actually flew in the simulator for the first time while having a beer just recently. Although I rarely drink the weather was so hot and humid that even I enjoyed the beer. But I had the feeling that it kind of spoiled the make-believe. I mean, most of us are sitting at a desk in front of a computer screen - totally unrealistic - yet I still do get some feeling of immersion, which for me drinking something with alcohol didn't improve. In real life I have a strict personal zero-alcohol policy with anything that involves driving a car or flying a plane. I don't take flying in the sim that seriously (for example, I don't do calculations for takeoff or extensive fuel-planning) but again I was a bit surprised that I lost some of the immersion.
Interesting. I actually have the exact same experience after a couple of beers. It just goes to show how seriously we actually all take flying in order to enjoy it. I can't enjoy it after a few drinks at all.

A game?.....no. A hobby? absolutely. A learning tool? absolutely. I would not invest thousands of dollars into a game.But then again, I fly in RL as well. I have my PPL. I practiced IFR procedures on FSX and it did help in RL so I would not call FSX a game.

Geoff I also see that you are into muliplayer games in FS...well that explain everything...Haven´t understod why MS would include such **** into FSX. / Leffe

@FSMP FSX is not a game.You cant score pionts. COD4, WAW5, WoW, black ops, need for speed...those are GAMES because you score pionts and level up. FS9/FSX...''FS'' im sure you're aware stands for Flight Simulation...a simulation - of flyin an aircraft.As in for example COD4 - u get shot, your screen goes red and you have to hide to recover your health, and off you go again. If you crash in the sim, its game over.Just like in real life.Its a simulation of the real thing.If you make a good landing, you make a good landing - you dont get points for it! Please, tell me, if FSX is a game....how do you win???...where do you fly to take on the ''big boss''???........ Thats right - you dont, because it not a game! Now if you excuse me, i have work to do in my 35G a year job, i have to drive my £30,000 car to a customer site, seal the deal of a £50,000 sale ( of whitch i get 10% at the end of the year,on top of salery..), and thats my workin day done. Maybe then, and only then, will i contemplate gettin a ''life''.......(i wonder how great your life is...coming into a flight sim forum and telling people they need to get a life, because they take a simulator seriosly...) Take your own advise, and go get a life...your on this forum 24/7....the sun wont hurt you, trust me.