Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

onody123

Frame rate drop in VC mode at destination airports @ 4.7Ghz

Dear All, I have a stange experience. When I land at an airport and taxi to my gate I experience huge frame rate decrease. Today I had a flight from Franfurt to Heathrow and when I arrived to Heathrow I had only 17-20fps in VC mode. The strange thing is that when I reloaded my B737NGX to the same gate, same time, same weather where I had 17-20 fps, after reload I got 26-30fps. I had another flight from Heathrow to Paris (LFPG). When I took off from Heathrow I had 26-30fps, but when I landed at Paris and taxi to my gate I had again a frame rate drop to 17-20fps. Again I reloaded my aircraft to the same gate, time and weather and I had again 26-30fps. It looks as my computer becomes tired at the end of my flights:-) I use Aerosofts scenerys and have an external frame rate limiter set to 30. The fram rate drop happens only in VC mode, if I switch to spot view and do not have such a problem. My specs are:Inter core i7-2600k @ 4.7GhzNvidia GTX480ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution8 Gbyte RAM Does anybody has any clue what can cause this? Best regards, Peter Onody

Thanks for your system specs. 1. Can you share what, if any, addon software you're running? Example: ASE. REX (overdrive?), FSINN, FScene, UTX? 2. Might you have been on VATSIM at the time? If so, do you recall how many aircraft were there and if there were other NGX's at the airport (if so, about how many and if they were within view of your aircraft)? 3. What, if any, tweaks do you have applied? Dave

Dear Dave, 1. I use only REX2, set up for the given configuration of High-end computers.2. I had this experience when I flew offline. Normally I fly on IVAO, but I always had IVAP crash when flying with 737NGX thus I stopped flying with it online until this problem is loved by PMDG.3. I use all the tweaks offered by Bojote's homepage http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html, based on my specification and fsx.cfg file

What you have got to remember, pending your settings, your frames rates will go down, especially in the UK. If you have your AI's turned on, the UK can get busy, if you reset your game you may not get has much traffic or vehicles as before and may get better frames rates. You are landing at some big airports, but if you land at a default aiport then you may get better fames. The killer airports for me is Amsterdam Aerosoft, but then Liverpool Extreme i get better frames because the airport is smaller, or Zurich can be a hit and miss. Also weather can be hit and miss pending the the weather conditions in the real world. Nice summers days good frames, bad weather sometimes crap frames. Try using your default 737, you will see the frames rates increase big time, not that you would fly it..lol I fly out of Stansted and have the Extreme Airport, also the GEX Europe Ground, i use either REX or Active Sky, i fly Vatsim through FSINN, Dirk Design ground traffic and FSX AI traffic are in use. Departing Stansted i will normally get about 20 - 25 frames in VC but more on the outside view, if i use the captain sim plane though i will get about 30 frames. Once up in the air with the PMDG i get about 30 frames, flying over France i can get upto about 40 frames, then when landing at Palma which is also a Aerosoft Airport i get about 30ish. Has a test, try putting your plane at a small airport in Africa and you should get good frame rates. Just seen your post...years ago i flew IVAO and VATSIM and always had bad frames with IVAO, but i will say that it was not on this PC. My spec i7k SandybridgeThe new Asus Sabertooth P67 motherboard, which is set on auto overclock8GB of ddr31GB ATI Graphic card (mid range one) also i run my FSX on a SSD drive Ronnie

I have just put myself at Heathrow (i don't have extreme) with REX on and was getting about 17ish frames. My FSX is set quite high but my scenery side of my settings are either on max or 3/4's.... You have a similar spec has me, so i don't think you will have anything to worry about. I hope this helps you.

Hello Ronnie, thank you for your long comment. I think you have the point, but for me it is still not clear why do I have this frame rate drop only in VC mode of 737NGX. In spot view mode I have all the time locked 30 fps in case of all the Aerosoft's scenerys. I also had a flight with PMDG's 747X to Barcelona and Madrid, both are big Aerosoft scenerys, but I did not have that problem with frame rates during taxi at any of the airports. I would think that having a i7-2600k processor @4.7 Ghz and running a GTX480 card I will not have any fps issues...

I have the same issues with add-on sceneries such as Aerosoft, but what the heck, I switch off the frame counter and enjoy the flight.You can get too hung-up over framerates - just ENJOY :)

If your talking about Aerosoft Heathrow and Charles Degaulle its important to note the following. These sceneries were some of the first released by Aerosoft and they were very laggy and had a big impact on FPS. As Aerosoft made other sceneries later on they got much better with optimizing larger airports and these performance issues went away. So what your experiencing is normal and why your other aerosoft airpots have better FPS. Same thing was happening to me. I have UK2000 Heathrow Xtreme V2, which is way better in detail and much better optimized than Aerosofts very old title. If there was another option for Charles Degaulle I would get rid of the Aerosoft one too and replace it with something else. Just something your going to have to deal with but I highly recommend the following if you hang around England alot. UK2000 EGLL, EGKK, EGCC all three are awesome sceneries.

UK2000 EGLL, EGKK, EGCC all three are awesome sceneries.
And do not forget EGPH Extreme from UK2000 which I use a lot and also falls into the category of awesome!

The interesting thing is the increase in frames (bad after you landed) to better after you reloaded. This may rule out the scenery itself, barring the additional scenery sitting in memory from your landing. Hitting refresh scenery should take care of that, IF it's even an issue. My call would be that FSX was bloated with running everything it had loaded from the approached all the way to the gate. Again, I don't know if that's actually an issue, as I don't know how the software was actually written, but I've seen this exact same thing before, especially in Boston and Washington DC, Anyway, it's a great question, thanks for that! Dave

Peter, was it still smooth, in spite of the frame rate drop ? The reason I ask, is I tend not to look at the frame rate counter, if everything is smooth, that's all that matters.I agree with the others that AS EGGL and LFPG are getting tired, so I changed to UK2000 airports. Sometimes you can get too hung up on looking at the FPS counter, even though the sim can be quite smooth.

Don't forget all the traffic that is running at LFPG on Aerosoft as well. You can disable this stuff with a few clicks using the Traffic Manager. If you disable the cars and other airport ground traffic around the airport your FPS will go up 10 fps at least.

The problem I have is not really with the frame rates, since when I start at the airport (LFPG or EGLL) I have locked 30fps. It means that my computer has no problem with the performance, but when I arrive to these airport after a 1,5-2 hours flight I have 17-20fps on the same scenery where I had before locked 30fps. Yesterday I made a test: a took off from LFPG 26L made a small circle around the airport and landed on rwy26L taxi to gate C4. This time I got the same high fps after landing which I had during take off. After blocking on gate C4 I still got locked 30fps. I made exactly the same test flight at EGLL and did not have the frame rate drop either. Of course, these flights were only 15 minutes long not like a real EGLL-LFPG flight, but still strange why I did not have this problem after these short flights. Do you think that the problem is with the Aerosoft scenery?

I have sometimes the same issues in EGLL for instance with Aerosoft. Smooth takeoff and landing with 25-30fps even on Max autogen and HD2048 clouds and AI UT2 at 35%. But when you fly on longer flights 1-1,5 hour you may se a drop to 15-20fps even on the same spot and with simular weather conditions Dont know what is is but maybe it is VAS that is overdone who knows? /Michael

I recommend having a look at the bufferpool/poolsize tweak for fsx. From my experiences, it has a huge influence on frame rate, especially at airports in VC.

I have usepools:0 I experienced that with this setting I have much better frame rates with the 4.7Ghz processor and the GTX480 card. Do you have a better setting for the pools?

I have also found the frame rates suffering toward the landing stages of a flight with the ngx.I do use ASE UTX GEX and UT2. I didnt notice the slowing down with the md11. lloyd jones

I have also found the frame rates suffering toward the landing stages of a flight with the ngx.I do use ASE UTX GEX and UT2. I didnt notice the slowing down with the md11. lloyd jones
I have the same with the same add-ons. I get 15-22 when taking off, 30 when at cruise altitude (this is the max FPS in the limiter), and as soon as I come close of the destination airport, my FPS goes down to 8-12. This is driving me crazy. Fabrice

The problem I have is not really with the frame rates, since when I start at the airport (LFPG or EGLL) I have locked 30fps. It means that my computer has no problem with the performance, but when I arrive to these airport after a 1,5-2 hours flight I have 17-20fps on the same scenery where I had before locked 30fps. Yesterday I made a test: a took off from LFPG 26L made a small circle around the airport and landed on rwy26L taxi to gate C4. This time I got the same high fps after landing which I had during take off. After blocking on gate C4 I still got locked 30fps. I made exactly the same test flight at EGLL and did not have the frame rate drop either. Of course, these flights were only 15 minutes long not like a real EGLL-LFPG flight, but still strange why I did not have this problem after these short flights. Do you think that the problem is with the Aerosoft scenery?
Hey!According to the link "Steveo38" sent you some post above you, it´s the fx_skidmark.fx in the effect folder.Try to cut that out and place it on your deskboard, then try to land at Heatrow again./ Leffe

Hey! According to the link "Steveo38" sent you some post above you, it´s the fx_skidmark.fx in the effect folder.Try to cut that out and place it on your deskboard, then try to land at Heatrow again. / Leffe
Interested in hearing feedback for this one. What effect does file actually trigger? Smoke from the wheels?

Interested in hearing feedback for this one. What effect does file actually trigger? Smoke from the wheels?
Read the whole thread in that link posted in this thread!/ Leffe

In my opinion if this fx_skidmark.fx file would cause the frame rate drop problem, it should casue it all the time, I mean every time you land on the certain airport. BUT, as I wrote above if I just take off from EGLL or LFPG make a circle around the airport and land on the same rwy where I took off a few minutes earlier I do not have any fps drop. I have this problem only after 1-1,5 hours complete flights.

In my opinion if this fx_skidmark.fx file would cause the frame rate drop problem, it should casue it all the time, I mean every time you land on the certain airport. BUT, as I wrote above if I just take off from EGLL or LFPG make a circle around the airport and land on the same rwy where I took off a few minutes earlier I do not have any fps drop. I have this problem only after 1-1,5 hours complete flights.
Yeah, it's probably due to the original software not clearing active memory. Forgive me, but I've been out of the technical side for quite a number of years, so the way I remember things may not be the way it is now. I believe the answer to your question lays with the re-start. After a restart you're system is not loaded up with all the graphics that were loaded and used while you were on your flight, particularly during the lower levels of the flight. This is true of most any concumer software by the way, as the only way to truly clear active or available memory is a reset. I could go on as to how some computers never need to be reset, but suffice it to say that those systems are not running FSX, which has software holes and also has a lot of addon software. The best way to ensure you have a terrific flight is to restart your computer in between flight. I know that a lot of guys don't like to do this, and some are able to fly without doing so, but the more addon software you have the more you'll need a restart to assure that you won't have any problems during your flight. You may be able to get a more technical answer, but the long and the short of it is the restart (or find a way to patch all the holes in FSX). Be well.