Sign in to follow this  
SirGarfield

What AddOns can u recommend me?

I am by all means just a medium/advanced kind of simmer. I'm something in between these two. I really enjoy flying advanced planes, but I hardly ever will take the trouble to learn everything about a plane if I don't really have to. As such, failures will go unnoticed by me and I have no inclination to manually cause havoc by setting up failures. I do take greta pleasure in having the option to do whatever I can. I just rarely do that. So, I do love it that everything works. I love that I can fiddle with all switches and see them do something meaningful. But, I rarely touch switches that I don't have to touch. From my point of view, I think the iFly and PMDG 737 products are in a similar situation as the QW and CS 757 products: I personally find it very hard to choose between the QW and CS757. Both have got their good and bad points. For example, the CS757 gives you way more control by letting you pressing all the switches. I like having that control, even if I don't always use it. The QW757 is aimed at the intermediate simmer, and as such they have automated or disabled some things that I don't like to see automated or disabled. For example, engine start sees an automatic activation of the fuel cut-off valves, meaning that you have no say in this step of engine start. I dislike that. On the other hand, the QW757 comes with a huge selection of models, even including the retrofitted cockpits that American Airlines uses, for example. The choice you have to make here is whether you want more models for a lower price instead of more detail for a higher price. I think this is a hard choice, because the products seem rather equal to me in other respects, or their pros and cons cancel each other out. I think the same situation applies to the iFly and PMDG 737 products. I have always used the iFly with great enthusiasm, but I jumped over to the PMDG when it was released. Admittedly I have never looked back. Still, the choice is in the same vain as with the CS and QW757. The PMDG 737NGX guarantees incredible system depth, and from what I have gathered from other people, the PMDG is indeed more accurate in most systems. To be honest though, I don't really notice the differences, since the differences are within systems, not so much the availability of systems. The PMDG for sure has a better soundset and a beautiful VC, without compromising FPS. The iFly looks less good, but it does give you way more models for a lower price. Both products give you options to customize your plane, although I like the way PMDG (from within the sim) did it better. All in all, it's just what you prefer and it's hard to really say which one is the better one. Regarding the issues CoolP has, he is only one in a million I guess. The forums are full, yes, but many people that do not have the problem will not go to the forums to say that, will they. As such, I'm highly skeptical that there are really that many people with problems. I have never had any problems, for example. The plane has always worked really well for me. Want to know the truth? I use the PMDG because of the incredible VC, HGS, the better soundset and the way it handles and operates. I believe the systems are more accurate in the PMDG, but I have no idea to what extent. I just don't really notice those things when it comes to this level of advancement. The level between QW and CS757 was clear, but between iFly and PMDG? Not to sure...

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

I use the PMDG because of the incredible VC, HGS, the better soundset and the way it handles and operates. I believe the systems are more accurate in the PMDG, but I have no idea to what extent.
I think you are summarizing quite well there, Benjamin.The whole appearance is well done on the PMDG and, as said, may even make you forget about some very basic current issues. 'The forums are full' (with some of the mentioned problems) is once again correct and I think that a potential buyer may look into them for his own experience, to catch the mood and the swiftness of some answers.I think that SP1 will even out some basic stuff, at least that's my hope on it after all the reports. Your conclusion can be respected of course, but looks rather selfish to me when just stating in a 'I have no trouble, so why would others, even if I can see their reports?' way. But that's just my view on that statement. I'm a bit surprised to read it though. I did not get the point of the 757 comparison so far. blush.png

OP, I'm an absolute noob in this hobby but if there's one thing I've learned about add ons it's this: FSX + UTX + GEX + REX + ORBX + NGX = NO MORE SEX Whistle.gif Ooh, I forgot this was a family channel. Hey Mods remove this post before the kids see it! Worried.gif

The HGS is there in the iFly
You are right, I forgot about the HGS in the iFly BBJs (there is no HGS in their 737-800). It never had my interest, really, since I don't care about the BBJs. I also use TrackIR which makes a non-collimated HGS pointless. (By the way, it is not correct when the iFly team argues that Boeing only fitted the HGS in the BBJs).
'The forums are full' (with some of the mentioned problems) is once again correct and I think that a potential buyer may look into them for his own experience, to catch the mood and the swiftness of some answers.
Of course, this is something you cannot do with the iFly forum since they restrict access to paying customers only. Which may well explain some of the differences in "tone". The iFly team - and their support forum - also benefit from not having to deal with users of pirated versions posting their problems disguised as support questions. The 30-day refund is a great policy, I wish more flightsim vendors would offer it. However, the majority do not, and you are going to find your choice severely limited if you make at a prerequisite for purchase.

Best 737-800 for me is the pmdg ngx. Best plane I have ever used in any flight simulator actually. I have seen that some people have had issues but I do believe they are a small % of what is a very large customer base. I must say I have not had any issue with it at all. SP1 is due to be released this friday 23rd according to their plans posted on the forum and I am pretty sure it will help those with the issues they have been having as well perhaps as implementing a few new things here and there. That said it is a very complex aircraft and will be like jumping in very hot water for the beginner. However if you are keen and are willing to read and have enough spare time then it will reward you with much. With regards to other add ons. From what I either own or have seen its REX, Active Sky evolution, UTX, GEX, ORBX and add on airports from Fly Tampa, Aerosoft and FSDT. Good flight planning software is always a help and there are many for this. EFB, FSC9, FSBuild and Plan-g to name a few. All are solid but ultimately you will have to do your research and decide on whats best for you. For AI I use Ultimate Traffic 2 and for the most part am very happy with it. I cant say I have Tried My Traffic but many like it and off the top of my head I can't think of a reason why they would not. I do not know what your specs are but be warned all these add ons will draw on system resources. Get one at a time and see how you go. Thats my opinion and I hope you find it useful. May I wish you many happy hours and rewards in this great hobby. Regards

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

I think i would go for which ever you want. The big question is are you a experienced simmer, and would start up cold and dark, or would you like to take a step back, and work your way through to cold and dark. If you answered 1, PMDG NGX. If 2, ifly NGX. I also like the configuration tool iFly gives you. you can choose a whole lot of theings, even how each repaint panel displays. But the choice is up to you. I would like to also know if anyone knows when PMDG is planning to release their 737-600,700 for FSX.

I think i would go for which ever you want. The big question is are you a experienced simmer, and would start up cold and dark, or would you like to take a step back, and work your way through to cold and dark. If you answered 1, PMDG NGX. If 2, ifly NGX. I also like the configuration tool iFly gives you. you can choose a whole lot of theings, even how each repaint panel displays. But the choice is up to you. I would like to also know if anyone knows when PMDG is planning to release their 737-600,700 for FSX.
You don't have to start Cold & Dark in the PMDG - there are various options to choose, or you can set up your own one and save it. From what I have read I believe the Service Pack is due out on the 23rd September, I think they said the 600/700 should either come out at the same time or within a week.... .. G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

In my opinion, the real Boeing documentation, volumetric lighting, virtual cockpit textures, easier to use clickspots, and sounds alone are worth the extra cost for the PMDG NGX over the iFly 737NG. Having used and owned both, I removed the iFly from my FSX installation.

I think you are summarizing quite well there, Benjamin. The whole appearance is well done on the PMDG and, as said, may even make you forget about some very basic current issues. 'The forums are full' (with some of the mentioned problems) is once again correct and I think that a potential buyer may look into them for his own experience, to catch the mood and the swiftness of some answers. I think that SP1 will even out some basic stuff, at least that's my hope on it after all the reports. Your conclusion can be respected of course, but looks rather selfish to me when just stating in a 'I have no trouble, so why would others, even if I can see their reports?' way. But that's just my view on that statement. I'm a bit surprised to read it though. I did not get the point of the 757 comparison so far. blush.png
Concerning this statement: "I have no trouble, so why would others, even if I can see their reports?" It was not my intention to make such a statement, and I am puzzled that you get that much out of it. You seem to have read it as if I deny that people are having problems, which I surely did not. My skepticism comes from two things: 1) Robert randazzo claims only about 1% of the users experience problems (He said so in a FSBreak interview).2) People that do not have problems have no reason to post, so of course the forums will be full of people posting problems. As such, I just can't see how many people really have a problem. It's bad that the problems exists, but for me the plane has always worked well. I'm not sure how you come to the conclusion that this point of view is selfish. I'm merely stating a fact... The 757 comparison is because both products both offer a good amount of stuff, and choosing the better one comes down to personal preference most of the time, not because one add-on is significantly better than the other.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case