Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SirGarfield

What AddOns can u recommend me?

Hello together!I am pretty new in the FS scene and until now i just flew with the standart scenery and free planes. The starts getting me bored and so i thought about getting some AddOns i often see in youtube videos or stuff. But i can't really deside which AddOns to choose since there are to much of them. You can send me both: freeware and payware AddOns. :) What i'm looking for:-The best boeing 737-800 addon-scenery-ai That should be enaugh :DThank you :)

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I have some good scenery and AI stuff in my signature. I'm also new to game and I've had these addons for a short time and they really upgrade the game to a new level. I don't own any addon 737 (yet) but everybody seems to be praising PMDG's 737NGX.

Best 737NG right now in overall terms is the PMDG NGX. The NGX right now represents the state-of-the-art and it's basically going to be the only real game in town for quite a while to come. Be prepared for a very steep learning curve if you're transitioning from the default 737NG to the PMDG one. They're worlds apart. Scenery: Orbyx and FlyTampa are among the best, but ultimately it depends on where you want to fly. Aerosoft has some good stuff, too. P.S. Welcome to "the Scene" :-) Cheers,

OPhttp://forum.avsim.net/topic/348906-decision-to-make-about-a-new-addon/ Bryan: You are making FS2crew for the NGX arnt you? When do you expect it to be available?

Hi Brent, Yes, there'll be an FS2Crew for the NGX... waiting on the all important SDK from PMDG so I can connect the two products together seamlessly. Hopefully the SDK will be out soon. Cheers,

Wow, quick reply. Thanks Brian - real customer service there. I will be buying it the minute its released haha, love your other products, and it gets lonely flying alone - so much to remember!!!

A. Aircraft:

1. PMDG Boeing B-737-NGX
  2. PMDG Boeing B-737-400
  3. A2A Simulations Accu-Sim Boeing B-17
  4. A2A Simulations Accu-Sim Boeing B-377
  5. A2A Simulations Accu-Sim Republic P-47 Thunderbolt
  6. Real Air Beech Duke 60 Piston
  7. Real Air Beech Duke 60 Turbine
  8. Aerosoft General Dynamics F-16
  9. Xtreme Prototypes North American X-15
  10. DCS Republic A-10 Warthog

B. Scenery

1. UTX (All)
  2. GEX (All)
  3. FSGlobal 2011,
  4. FS Global Ultimate Americas
  5. FS Global Ultimate Europe, Midle East
  6. ORBX Australia Complete
  7. ORBX US Pacific North West
  8. ORBX US Northern Rocky Mountains
  9. ORBX US Central Rocky Mountains
  10. MegaSceneryX California State Complete

Cheers,- jahman.

Welcome, All good comments but if your looking for the best combo its all comes down to personal opinion. So, for me as follows. 1. Real Environment X http://realenvironmentxtreme.com/2. ASE for weather engine http://www.hifitechinc.com/3. PMDG anything! http://www.precisionmanuals.com/4.TrackIR http://www.naturalpo...nd-manuals.html5 EZCA http://www.ezdok-software.com/6. ORBX anything http://www.fullterrain.com/index.html7. GEX north america http://gex.flight1.n...UsCan/index.htm8. If your a GA pilot Carenado aircraft are very nice http://www.carenado....ortal/index.php9. This is a must should have put at #1 http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html Airports,http://www.flightbeam.net/http://www.flytampa.org/http://www.fsdreamteam.com/http://www.aerosoft.com/cgi-local/us/iboshop.cgi?show270,5930338480

For aircraft, I can recommend most anything by Captain Sim (my personal favorite), Aerosoft, or PMDG. As for AI aircraft, World of AI--which is freeware--is great.

The best 737 would be the recently released PMDG 737NGX As for AI Traffic, I use MyTraffic X and am very content. Even though the models are not the best, it includes more traffic than I have seen in any add-on. Regarding scenery, what exactly are you looking for? If you want to:- change the accuracy of water bodies and roads, you'll want Ultimate Traffic X, and OpenVFR for those areas that UTX does not cover.- change the accuracy of mountains, you'll want FSGenesis.- change the accuracy of areas, namely what is defined as city, rural area, forest etc etc, you'll probably want too use SceneryTech Landclass add ons.- change the appearance of the scenery by replacing textures, you'll want to use Ground Environment X.- change the appearance of default airports, clouds, sky and lights, you'll want to get Real Environment X.- change the entire appearance of Australia and/or chunks of the US, you can turn to OrbX, who make some absolutely fantastic looking, comprehensive sceneries for the mentioned regions.- have super-detailed airports, which are restricted to that spefici airports and sometimes its direct environment, you'll want to purchase some specific airport add ons. I personally recommend FlyTampa, FSDreamTeam, OrbX and Aerosoft, but there are loads companies more. for a complete overview you might want to visit Simmarket, just to see what is available. Hope this helps.

Now on the 737 question, the preferences of yours play a vital role.The PMDG NGX currently gives you the best optics and also some great detail on e. g. simulating the airflow in the cabin. As a downside, you will see some flight model flaws when it comes to landing and you also receive a FMC not being able to follow you on a simple go-around or touch and go trainings for example.That's the current state. The iFly 737 NG comes with the 600-900 + BBJ1-3 models, a superb support attitude and at a lower price. Also, if the iFly wouldn't fulfil your needs, you can refund her with no questions asked.You'll find all relevant systems being present there in great detail, e. g. the FMC even more than on the PMDG. Also, the basic skills of a plane in the sim are there and working while the guys are honest about 'to do' items.With the free Feature Pack coming up, some more details and variants will be included. So, for the PMDG, I'd say to wait for SP1 since the flaws may then have been ruled out (thanks to all the user inputs) and you may also receive a plane which does not trigger CTDs, a panel freeze or even a not working activation, with no refund option available.Feel free to search the PMDG forums regarding the mentioned problems and also catch a glimpse on the overall attitude there. On the scenery side, Benjamin asked the right questions. Where or how to you intend to fly? There's so much good stuff around, it would take hours to list them all. smile.png AI comes in for free, as Boeing247 already stated. The World of AI offers some packages to download and test.If this isn't enough, I'd go for Ultimate Traffic 2 payware since they also offer a great support there, a refund policy and the product itself works as advertised from my experience, while leaving the fps nearly untouched.

Once again this COOLIP guy says bad things about the PMDG. We all know he has a personal grudge against PMDG, but the NGX is fantastic. Sure the IFLY you get everything.. but really, how can you compare?

>but really, how can you compare?
HelloSimple really just buy both, I did and can tell you that they are both good, not a lot wrong with either but the PMDG is not as far ahead as some would have you believe.

My question is this: as REX already has a weather engine incorporated, would there actually still be a need to purchase ActiceSky?
Good question, but only you can answer it. If you got used to the Active Sky features and options, you may miss some of them with the REX engine.As far as I've experienced her, she does not come with any downside on the actual weather representation, but the interface and the options to 'tweak and fiddle' are far less than on the current ASE release.This could be a big pro of course since she starts up and works for example. As REX almost is a must have for FSX (FEX would be too though) and comes with a weather engine included, you may test this engine first and then decide if you want to spend extra Dollars on ASE.

The best 737-800 for FSX is the one by PMDG, no contest. The iFly product has a lower price, more variants, but overall less system depth (yes, I've used both products). Like Bryan pointed out, there is a huge gap between the default airplanes and the ones from iFly and PMDG, so come prepared to study the manuals and ask questions on the forum smile.png

My essentials would be: Aircraft:1. PMDG 737NGX2. RealAir Turbine Duke (the Piston version is very nice as well)3. Eaglesoft Citation X v2 Scenery:1. FSGenesis World base mesh2. UTX / GEX (version depending on where you want to fly) Add-Ons:1. Radar Contact2. ASE3. FSUIPC4. Plan-G (which is FREE) For most Aircraft I like to start Flights with IDEAL FLIGHT, although it doesn't appear to work correctly with the PMDG.... G

Ok, I see a key thing in the OP's post "I am pretty new in the FS scene." I understand almost everyone loves the PMDG NGX, and it's the state of the art in flight sim, but throwing him in that is like telling a ten year old to drive a car before he learns to ride a bike. Let's ease him in to the sim. Check out some "lite" sim aircraft. Overland's planes are a good start, even CLS would be a slight step up. Check out Project Airbus's freeware planes, or Project Opensky (now defunct but their downloads page is still up.) Going after the freeware offerings will also teach you how to install a plane and manipulate the aircaft.cfg file. Learn some basic systems in these planes, like setting up the autopilot, landing using the ILS. Flap settings, find out what V1, Vr, V2 means. Baby steps, people, baby steps.

Ok, I see a key thing in the OP's post "I am pretty new in the FS scene." I understand almost everyone loves the PMDG NGX, and it's the state of the art in flight sim, but throwing him in that is like telling a ten year old to drive a car before he learns to ride a bike.
He also asks about the best 737-800 add-on .. .. .. G

I have Ultimate traffic 2, and It's great. I would reccomend also Ultimate terrain Europe, and North America, as well as REX, which is an amazing addon. If you want a cheaper 737-800, I would go for the iFly 737 NGX series, which is really realistic, and has the -600,-700,-800,-900 too.

I keep seeing references to systems depth missing from the iFly that exist in the PMDG. Can anyone be more specific? What exactly does the PMDG model that is missing from the iFly?

I think your question points in the right direction. This 'system depth' talk sounds like a repeated thing at most ends and also lacks of the fact that you currently get a 'well tested' but wrong landing plane, with features like the advertised SFP being there in the model, but not in the air file or the FMC speeds. Strange 'depth'. I've found the LNAV and VNAV together with the IAN features to be amazing and fun to use. Obviously a big amount of work went in there and the outcome is great.The iFly is lacking the IAN and struggles a bit on the VNAV on the approaches (because this isn't implemented at this time, from the official statements, although it works ok so far, on the approach).I don't give much on the airflow show and temperature features of the NGX, but this is personal preference. The HUD is nice and well done, but I had all my freezes with the HUD on, and so did a friend of mine. So I don't know if this, currently, is a pro or a con.The optics are without a doubt amazing and I think that quite some guys are happy with those alone and therefore can forget about some other flaws.The sounds add to that and although I was very happy with the iFly sounds, the NGX ones are even better. But, is this the 'system depth' they were talking about? Just asking because I still fly the Maddog with big pleasure. Now one part of this system depth thingy may be the panel freezes and CTDs at quite some ends. And that's actually the thing which really stresses the need for a SP1 to fix those, while the other flaws are acceptable with the mentioned preference in mind. Seeing people with activation problems even after nearly two months after release is another thing for the SP1 to rule out, obviously of course. So, as a user of all three addon 737s, I sometimes ask myself if the Avsim PMDG review with the 3 hours flight time and the award maybe represents this new 'system depth' view.I for one didn't buy the name on the outside, but was looking for even more details and accuracy, which, from the experience with e. g. the MD-11, could be associated with 'PMDG'. But this shouldn't lead to an automatism where the letters on the box suddenly form up the outcome. I'd like to see her in the detail which this strange myth seems to form up. And I think that SP1 may add something there.This 'you can't compare this or that' talking is more or less a communication bubble. Personal viewpoint. Comparing the different 737 addons is a very normal and helpful thing since a reader can pick his favourite items from the different viewpoints.And I also have great faith in readers getting to know if somebody is talking in a fan way or just presents some arguments to think about.