Sign in to follow this  
trsanchez

GTX 580 / UsePools 0 smooth experience but artifacts

Paul J, I have experimented with many different values for the FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION variable including 0.05 0.15 0.20 0.25. For my system and my fsx config this value (0.10) gives the best balance between framerate smoothness and texture loading. In rare cases when the fps stays well below 20 I do get some blurries but in these cases I care more about smooth flight than crisp textures. Also keep in mind that I limit the FPS internally at 30.

Paul J, I have experimented with many different values for the FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION variable including 0.05 0.15 0.20 0.25. For my system and my fsx config this value (0.10) gives the best balance between framerate smoothness and texture loading. In rare cases when the fps stays well below 20 I do get some blurries but in these cases I care more about smooth flight than crisp textures. Also keep in mind that I limit the FPS internally at 30.
I too use the internal fps lock, set at 32. Since I got my new box (i7 2600k), everything I knew went out the window. The external limiter did not offer any added value, but the internal fps did. As far as FFF, I did not need it. The combination of a good CPU, graphics card, DDR3 memory, and of course a good MB, make an incredible difference. I use 2 hd's (black caviar), using a 1 TB for FS Installation. ACES video mem mgt never reached prime time and bypassing by adding the UsePools=0 value pretty much proves it. My performance goes down the drain in comparison without it. I am also using UT2 @100% for both Commercial and GA and TrackIR 5 and Shade. I am not flying a heavy, but use all of the popular GA payware Aircraft, some of which are fairly CPU intensive.RegardsBob

Ok guys, usepools 0 did not work for my gpu :-( It is smooth, but my clouds and ground textures won't give up the flashing. :-)So I have to use only rejectthreshold 98304 ( instead of usepools 0 ), as bojote did already post in the forum.So no flashing with this settings, but the difference to usepools set to 0 is now, the minor heavily stutters in turns every few seconds.I'm freaking out completely, I set fps to unlimited in FSX. Other settings, also with fps limiter I don't get a smooth experience with lower fps settings than with unlimited in fsx.Always the same issues. With usepools set to 0 smooth expereince but flashing textures, without useppols set to 0 flashing textures gone, but stutters every few seconds.On both good fps. So anyone more suggestions about that. I don't give it up so fast. :-) Sincerely, Tom

You know what, I don't use any of these tweaks. Except the highmemfix entry...And you know what, I don't have any of the issues you guys mention.That's with an i7920 at 4GHz. And an EVGA GTX 580.I sometimes think all this tweaking causes more problems than it fixes.I say try a clean FSX cfg with NO tweaks and sensible sliders. Why not, it's worth a try.

tr,Here are the sections of the config where I have made modifications. I had forgotten to mention previously that I have a 570 card with 1280 meg. Not sure what you are using.**********************************************[JOBSCHEDULER]AffinityMask=14[bufferPools]UsePools=0//RejectThresHold=98304//98304//131072//524288//262144[Display]TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=50RUNWAY_LIGHTS_SURFACE_SCALAR=0.60 //adjust values to suit your scaleRUNWAY_LIGHTS_VASI_SCALAR=0.60RUNWAY_LIGHTS_APPROACH_SCALAR=0.60RUNWAY_LIGHTS_STROBE_SCALAR=0.60ChangeTime=4.000000TransitionTime=4.000000ActiveWindowTitleTextColor=255,255,255ActiveWindowTitleBackGroundColor=0,28,140,64NonActiveWindowTitleTextColor=255,255,255NonActiveWindowTitleBackGroundColor=24,33,87,64InfoUpperRightTextColor=255,0,0InfoUpperRightBackGroundColor=0,0,0,0InfoLowerLeftTextColor=255,255,255InfoLowerLeftBackGroundColor=255,0,0,128InfoLowerRightTextColor=255,255,255InfoLowerRightBackGroundColor=255,0,0,128InfoBrakesEnable=TrueInfoParkingBrakesEnable=TrueInfoPauseEnable=TrueInfoSlewEnable=TrueInfoStallEnable=TrueInfoOverspeedEnable=TrueBLOOM_EFFECTS=0SKINNED_ANIMATIONS=1UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=32WideViewAspect=True[Main]DisablePreload=1User Objects=Airplane, HelicopterSimObjectPaths.0=SimObjectsAirplanesSimObjectPaths.1=SimObjectsRotorcraftSimObjectPaths.2=SimObjectsGroundVehiclesSimObjectPaths.3=SimObjectsBoatsSimObjectPaths.4=SimObjectsAnimalsSimObjectPaths.5=SimObjectsMiscMaximized=1Location=456,208,1496,986,.DISPLAY1HideMenuNormal=0HideMenuFullscreen=1ProcSpeed=15471PerfBucket=7SimObjectPaths.6=SimObjectsUT2 Aircraft[GRAPHICS]HIGHMEMFIX=1TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED=1693458432NUM_LIGHTS=8AIRCRAFT_SHADOWS=0AIRCRAFT_REFLECTIONS=1COCKPIT_HIGH_LOD=1LANDING_LIGHTS=1AC_SELF_SHADOW=0EFFECTS_QUALITY=2GROUND_SHADOWS=0TEXTURE_QUALITY=3IMAGE_QUALITY=0See_Self=1Text_Scroll=1SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED_10=1693458432D3D10=0[TERRAIN]LOD_RADIUS=4.500000MESH_COMPLEXITY=100MESH_RESOLUTION=22TEXTURE_RESOLUTION=29AUTOGEN_DENSITY=5DETAIL_TEXTURE=1WATER_EFFECTS=6[sCENERY]LENSFLARE=0DAWN_DUSK_SMOOTHING=1IMAGE_COMPLEXITY=5***************************************************

You know what, I don't use any of these tweaks. Except the highmemfix entry...And you know what, I don't have any of the issues you guys mention.That's with an i7920 at 4GHz. And an EVGA GTX 580.I sometimes think all this tweaking causes more problems than it fixes.I say try a clean FSX cfg with NO tweaks and sensible sliders. Why not, it's worth a try.
I'm getting around 15-19 fps and HEAVY HEAVY stuttering with no tweaking. I'm getting 30-60 fps with a fully tweaked setup, completely void of stuttering. I dont think no tweaks would be good for the majority of the users

Hi,TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_XXXXX_PER_CELLIf you have the above entry for trees and autogen, temporarily remove while testing, as on many systems this has caused an issue. I don't know the technicality, but it has to do with the terrain engine and it getting out of sync or something.Bob

I'm getting around 15-19 fps and HEAVY HEAVY stuttering with no tweaking. I'm getting 30-60 fps with a fully tweaked setup, completely void of stuttering. I dont think no tweaks would be good for the majority of the users
Sounds great, which type of GPU do you use? Thx
Hi,TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_XXXXX_PER_CELLIf you have the above entry for trees and autogen, temporarily remove while testing, as on many systems this has caused an issue. I don't know the technicality, but it has to do with the terrain engine and it getting out of sync or something.Bob
Thx a lot.

Ditto. Tweaking a few key entries has been the only catalyst to getting FSX running in a state where it is enjoyable, and I now fly only in FSX as a result. There are a few who don't see benefits from it, but many of us do. And can clearly demonstrate it with "clean" fsx.cfg files. It is worth testing as saving a copy of your current config file and generating a new one is a simple process, but don't expect a magic cure. Properly tweaked config files are rarely the source of problems in my experience.

- Aaron

Weird then, when I get a totally smooth experience, and 30-60 FPS without tweaks.I have used tweaks in the past, but after testing, not anymore.Don't even use affinity mask

I too use the internal fps lock, set at 32. Since I got my new box (i7 2600k), everything I knew went out the window. The external limiter did not offer any added value, but the internal fps did. As far as FFF, I did not need it. The combination of a good CPU, graphics card, DDR3 memory, and of course a good MB, make an incredible difference. I use 2 hd's (black caviar), using a 1 TB for FS Installation. ACES video mem mgt never reached prime time and bypassing by adding the UsePools=0 value pretty much proves it. My performance goes down the drain in comparison without it. I am also using UT2 @100% for both Commercial and GA and TrackIR 5 and Shade. I am not flying a heavy, but use all of the popular GA payware Aircraft, some of which are fairly CPU intensive. Regards Bob
Bob, I've tried your settings and they seem to work very well on my i7-2600k/gtx580 rig. Even though my fsx.cfg passed Automated Tweaking tool there was no mentioning of UsePools=0 line, where did it come from? I also switched from the external FPS limiter (the most recent one) back to internal @ 32 without adverse affect. The only difference is that my TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=50 is set to 80. I think it came like this from Automated Tweaking tool. How did you get that value? Thanks, Dirk.

Just to throw my penny's worth in fellas, but for me FSX is unuseable without any of the cfg tweaks, especally the RejectThreshold tweak...

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Just to throw my penny's worth in fellas, but for me FSX is unuseable without any of the cfg tweaks, especally the RejectThreshold tweak...
I remarked the RejectThreshold (from Automated Tweaking Tool) and added UsePools=0 (per the above suggestion). The result looks good. I wonder what you mean by unuseable, as I may also want to switch back if I find something doesn't work. Thanks, Dirk.

Lokk here: I have the same issues!

Scenery tearing as seen in this video, is an indication that VSYNC is off. You are probably getting spikes, above the frequency of your monitor. This is why it is reduced when High 2Xwater is selected, because, that reduces your FPS. Try turning on VSYNC in your video driver and add the following lines to your FSX.CFG file in the Graphics section.ForceFullScreenVSync=1ForceWindowedVSync=0

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Hi Dirk, sure, I mean that without using RejectThreshold=32750 in my cfg, then I lose 25-30% of performance and also increase in stutters! I spent weeks tweaking the value, I almost gave up, and then suddenly this value worked. Don't know why or how, 'cos some guys have said it doesn't make sense, but I can promise you it works fine for me. Having said that, it's unlikely that someone else will find the same degree of success as me by using this value, as all rigs are different. My test was sat at the end of the runway at Innsbruck, in the VC, with obviously the same parameters elsewhere. Without the RejectThreshold value I was getting 22 frames and with the tweak it jumped to around 28!

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776