Sign in to follow this  
boeing247

LOD Radius

Well, it does do something to the cfg file, because when I tried to submit it to Bojote's tweaks on venetubo, it couldn't read it. However, the program does help, so I'd hate to stop using it entirely, but I will admit that care should be taken when using it, and it was probably some option I selected. I'll look into it. Thanks!

Once again - if you want to stop specific services or programs when running FSX - go here and download Ken Salter's free "AlacrityPC":-http://alacritypc.ke...m/download.htmlIt will do everything - and more - than "that other program" - and is fully configurable and very stable, and is written by a long-time flight simmer.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Well, I did as you all recommended and deleted my cfg file, then ran FSX with a new cfg and without FSBooster, but unfortunately, that did not fix the problem. If anything, it looked worse. So it would appear that this has nothing to do with my fsx.cfg file, or at least nothing that FSBooster put into it. Any other ideas? I can't remember exactly when I started having this problem, but I'm pretty sure it started after I downloaded a new driver from ATI. Does anybody know if it's possible to download older drivers?

Which driver are you running? I'm running the latest AMD driver for my HD6870 with no problems. You did uninstall your previous driver correctly per AMD's directions and then install your new driver, right?Remnants of old drivers have been known to cause issues in the past, so getting all of it off before putting a new one on is paramount.

Which driver are you running? I'm running the latest AMD driver for my HD6870 with no problems. You did uninstall your previous driver correctly per AMD's directions and then install your new driver, right?Remnants of old drivers have been known to cause issues in the past, so getting all of it off before putting a new one on is paramount.
Boy, do I feel stupid. No, I did not uninstall the previous driver. However, I seem to be unable to uninstall. I click the "uninstall" button and the installer screen closes and nothing happens...Edit: I managed to uninstall it, but now I have no video card driver, and the new one won't install. Wonderful.

Don't feel bad, I think everyone's made this mistake before, myself including.Reboot your system and make sure to run the installer from the context (right-click) menu as administrator if you're on vista or windows 7.

Don't set LOD higher then 6-7 units. Otherwise you will get fatal errors at any part of the flight.It's looks better, but it's useless if it gives errors...

I restored my system to yesterday, so everything is now fixed, but the low LOD radius problem still remains. I've determined, however, that it is not related to the display driver. Is there another setting in the fsx.cfg file that could limit the LOD radius, for instance TextureMaxLoad?

There's FIBER_FRAME_FRACTION. Try to set it to something like 0.5. Also, make sure that youre using a framerate limiter. Personally I'm using the internal limiter at 30fps

I restored my system to yesterday, so everything is now fixed, but the low LOD radius problem still remains. I've determined, however, that it is not related to the display driver. Is there another setting in the fsx.cfg file that could limit the LOD radius, for instance TextureMaxLoad?
Nothing *limits* the visual radius except LOD_RADIUS. What other tweaks might do is load the system falsely to cause blurries, but when the flight is loaded, on ground or air, the textures will be sharp to the defined LOD_RADIUS.As Johan said, FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION might cause blurries, especially if too low numbers used. Also wrong affinity mask, and then also other tweaks come into mind.Blurries are also going to be cause by the overloading of the system, meaning if you FPS are not at your limited number, it can be caused for engine to stall - texture loaders are usually on the 3rd and 4th core, I don't know how many you have. But if there are not enough cores, they are shared on the 1st core. 2nd is usually going to run main thread. I'm talking what I *think* here, since I don't own a 2 core CPU (and no, not prone to testing through the BIOS...).

Word Not Allowed, textures are loaded from HDD, not from processor. For FSX it's best to have 10,000 rpm for fast texture loading.

Word Not Allowed, textures are loaded from HDD, not from processor. For FSX it's best to have 10,000 rpm for fast texture loading.
Everything Word Not Allowed said was true regardless.

Thanks for all the tips, just one last thing.

Also wrong affinity mask, and then also other tweaks come into mind
I have an 4-core, 8-thread CPU. What would you recommend setting it to? All the cores?

Thanks for all the tips, just one last thing.I have an 4-core, 8-thread CPU. What would you recommend setting it to? All the cores?
Up to you what you set the LOD to. I've used 8.5 for a long time, but others find it too much. Depends on what scenry and addon aircraft you use whether the system will take it.General consensus with regard to hyperthreading is to turn it off. for a quad core, you need to use an affinity mask of 14. (1110 is the binary equivalent). This uses 3 cores and leaves core 0 to deal with the operating system and background proceses (Note 1110 is the cores in reverse, core 3 on, core 2 on, core 1 on, core 0 off)..IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)