Sign in to follow this  
MrPlaneDriver

More screenshots and news about Flight

That looks absolutely super !!A real step up from the screenshots we saw in the early summer!That looks [in terms of scenery[ a complete overhaul from FSX :)Awesome..

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

That looks absolutely super !!A real step up from the screenshots we saw in the early summer!That looks [in terms of scenery[ a complete overhaul from FSX :)Awesome..
They always make Hawaii look better than the rest, so it looks good for preiews.

Inactive

To be honest, I don't see anything exciting in the previews. It looks like they refreshed FSX and that is all.1) textures look like they have bigger resolution - but we already have that in FSX when using addon sceeneries, REX etc.2) cockpit shadows look nice - but I bet it's just newer shader model, DirectX 11 perphaps, which is something that requires only recompiling FSX using new version of DirectX and a few changes.3) overall contrast and colors are better, hopefully they will introduce HDR, but it is what we can partially do in FSX using ENBseries mod or Shade.3) still not cloud shadows - that's is a clear sign, at least for me, that it's still old FSX only refurbished.So what's wrong in refurbushing FSX?One migth say that the performace will be better and that's important. I suspect it will be.But the other ones will say we still won't have weather radar, ATC will still be crappy and all we'll get is what we already have, with addons that we own already incorporated into MS Flight.As I belong to the second group, I hope we will eventually have an option to use PMDG product in X-Plane.I'm wondering what you think about that.

Hi,Microsoft stated the minimal system requierements on their Flight page. They wrote that you should have 10GB HDD space as a minimum. When we look at the FSX system requierements we see that Flight needs 5GB less than FSX I starting to wonder whats the reason for that...Okay, of course the formatations for textures where improved in the 5 or 6 years since FSX was released. But on the other side the Flight default texture size will be probably higher than in FSX.(BTW: X-Plane 9 has 70GB,...)So is there only Hawaii included? Maybe, we don't know. However I can imagine that Flight is going to be sold via the online market from Microsoft (Micro Soft Live). I can imagine that in the initial product will only contain Hawaii. I can imagine that every other Kontinet, Country or City must be bought via their Live if you want to fly there. I can also imagine that I won't buy Flight because a flight simulator gives me the chance to fly in the whole world. When I arrive at home at the evening, I start my PC, pick up an airplane (most probabaly a little GA) choose an Airport by closing my eyes and hitting two or three keys from my kayboard and choose whatever airport is stated there. I like to see other countries, I like to learn where which city is located and I like to expire something new, because in the real world I can fly arround my hometown nearly ever day (if the weather alows ofcourse) if I want so. So I like to see something new in every flight, I like to fly a MD11 or 738 in smaller airports and I like to fly some tricky approaches. When Flight behaves as said earlier in this post that won't work anymore...So I am looking forward to X-Plane 10 and hope that PMDG does the same.

I know very little aqbout x-plane, will have to see where the tide goes

Alex Ridge

To be honest, I don't see anything exciting in the previews. It looks like they refreshed FSX and that is all.1) textures look like they have bigger resolution - but we already have that in FSX when using addon sceeneries, REX etc.2) cockpit shadows look nice - but I bet it's just newer shader model, DirectX 11 perphaps, which is something that requires only recompiling FSX using new version of DirectX and a few changes.3) overall contrast and colors are better, hopefully they will introduce HDR, but it is what we can partially do in FSX using ENBseries mod or Shade.3) still not cloud shadows - that's is a clear sign, at least for me, that it's still old FSX only refurbished.
Couldn't agree more! FSX already basically looks like that on a global scale with addons such as Ground Environment, Ultimate Terrain, FS Global 2010, ASX, REX etc, which most hardcore simmers that will be frequenting these forums will already have to a lesser or greater extent. If you've invested in stuff like Orbx, UK2000 and other airport specific sceneries, your sim already looks better than MS Flight.What we are looking at is not a new simulator, just FSX SP3, but we're being asked to pay for the privilege! Then again, if they can fix the instabilities and bloatiness of FSX, might just be worth chucking some dosh at. This whiffs at the switch from Vista to Win7, in that MS Flight appears to be what FSX should of been upon release. Only all your nice shiny addon aircraft won't work.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

One very big difference between FSX and MSFlight/XPlane 10 are the cockpit shadows and cockpit lightning, FSX does not have this at all. And this can make a sim look way better. Also a new platform would be way more stable. And I don't think that we'll have to buy all countries and cities, I think it's all included in the game. If not, the game is not gonna be a succes at all. In that case, it's going to be XPlane 10 for me.

To the comments about it not looking much better than FSX... What are you expecting? Have you seen motion simulators that we need to train in... think FS2000 if you are lucky! That is the quality, yes ORBX etc is amazing but it is a 'simulator'.Feels a bit like devils advocate tonight.

To the comments about it not looking much better than FSX... What are you expecting? Have you seen motion simulators that we need to train in... think FS2000 if you are lucky! That is the quality, yes ORBX etc is amazing but it is a 'simulator'.Feels a bit like devils advocate tonight.
Agreed, but a true simulator is the motion simulators, this desktop simulator has to be as visually near to the real life as can possibly be, for our satisfaction. For you airline pilots, you get HD graphics on a daily basis :D

Alex Ridge