Sign in to follow this  
spilok

Abacus releases Skycatcher....NO WAY.

When is Abacus going to realize that their planes and especially their VC's look cartoonish? Give us some quality, Abacus, and I will buy. Until then, NO WAY.Stan

When is Abacus going to realize that their planes and especially their VC's look cartoonish? Give us some quality, Abacus, and I will buy. Until then, NO WAY.Stan
Right. So don't buy it. Why do you need to tell us?If their products sell, and people are happy with them, where's the harm?That Flight1 job looks good, though.Ian

Hello StanIf Abacus produced add-ons with much higher quality VC's which they are more than capable of doing, they would have to raise their prices accordingly.They would then alienate the target market which has made them probably the most long-lived and successful add-on company out there.You have to realise you and I are not their target market.

in other words .. i gonna take my ball and go home. LOL.gif

When is Abacus going to realize that their planes and especially their VC's look cartoonish? Give us some quality, Abacus, and I will buy. Until then, NO WAY.
Actually, the Skycatcher was released several years ago. Abacus simply sent out another notice to their mailing list. Why should Abacus care about any of "us" anyway? "We" aren't their target market...Their target demographic numbers in the hundreds of thousands. "Our" demographic numbers in the low thousands. Do the math. ;)While the model is pretty basic, the 2d panel and gauge system is top-notch. In fact, it's some of my better work. I was paid well for my work years ago, so frankly if they never sell another copy it's no skin off my nose... LOL.gif

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Actually, the Skycatcher was released several years ago. Abacus simply sent out another notice to their mailing list. Why should Abacus care about any of "us" anyway? "We" aren't their target market...Their target demographic numbers in the hundreds of thousands. "Our" demographic numbers in the low thousands. Do the math. ;)While the model is pretty basic, the 2d panel and gauge system is top-notch. In fact, it's some of my better work. I was paid well for my work years ago, so frankly if they never sell another copy it's no skin off my nose... LOL.gif
Yeah the 2d panel does look nice.

Mike Avallone

9900k@5.0,Corsair H115i cooler,ASUS 2080TI,GSkill 32GB pc3600 ram, 2 WD black NVME ssd drives, ASUS maximus hero MB

For those of you who criticized my "opinion", I'd like to say the following: I always thought the purpose of a FORUM was to state your opinion. Please don't tell me to keep my opinion of a product to myself....if I did, I wouldn't belong to AVSIM. If you are in to censorship, don't talk on the forum. I'm from the USA, and I don't consider censoring myself or my opinions (unless they are hurtful or wrong). If I don't like a product or whatever, I will use AVSIM to state it. I've been a simmer for many years, and this is my outlet.If YOU like it, then buy it.Stan

For those of you who criticized my "opinion", I'd like to say the following: I always thought the purpose of a FORUM was to state your opinion. Please don't tell me to keep my opinion of a product to myself....if I did, I wouldn't belong to AVSIM. If you are in to censorship, don't talk on the forum. I'm from the USA, and I don't consider censoring myself or my opinions (unless they are hurtful or wrong). If I don't like a product or whatever, I will use AVSIM to state it. I've been a simmer for many years, and this is my outlet.If YOU like it, then buy it.Stan
StanYour original post was bordering on "troll like". Yes Abacus software can be a bit basic. I probably bought something from them when I first started out in flight simming. Now I've become more "experienced" I only buy software which has a level of quality to it which I consider suitable for my FS experience.No one is censoring you. Just responding to your rather poor rant.Regards,Adam

Hello StanNo one is criticising your opinion here, but we are allowed to have an opinion of your opinion.Or is it only you that gets a say ?As a simmer of many years you must know by now that Abacus are not aiming its products at you.They will probably sell as many copies of the skycatcher as PMDG will with the NGX , they know their market well and provide exactly what that sector wants.That said, no I will not be buying it.

in other words ...When is Chevolet going to realize their cars and especially the Chevette look plain? Give us some lamborghini quality, Chevolet, and I will buy. Until then . NO WAY.

Guest ShinyJetSyndrome
in other words ...When is Chevolet going to realize their cars and especially the Chevette look plain? Give us some lamborghini quality, Chevolet, and I will buy. Until then . NO WAY.
I think Abacus is more equivalent to going out of your way to spend $15 for a high school cafeteria lunch.Or to use your car metaphor, equivalent to paying $20000 for a 97 Taurus with 250000 miles... But hey, the dealer said it has new tires and a fresh oil change...

I've had FREEWARE better than Abacus payware......many, many times. Don't tell me about quality having to cost a lot of money. There are tremendous products in all flight libraries that are free or cost very little. Your argument lacks logic. Stan

Then you should avail yourself of freeware instead of bashing Abacus.Anyone who's been simming for more than a few weeks knows that Abacus builds for a specific market segment.To expect them to change that specific segment for another segment lacks logic.

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

I avail myself of freeware and buy plenty of payware. I'm so very sorry that my opinion of Abacus quality has caused you and so many others to go into such a defensive stance. I know the market Abacus goes for, but I also think that, for the prices they charge, they could try a little harder to move up a few levels in quality. Perhaps my little "bashing" you say I'm doing will wake up some designers over there. Quality only comes about when the masses demand it!Stan