Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

Where I stand with XP10

I'm going to upgrade my VC, but I think I'm going to wait on the new gen coming in spring.The HDR is a killer at this point only because of the bad AA.

"It's ALL about Flying"

i7-9700k @5ghz | 32gb Gskill Ripjaw 5 DDR4 3000 | Nvidia RTX 4080 | W10 Pro | Samsung 32" 4K TV 

Comparing X-plane 10 to RW flying is very subjective. The controls that most people are using are a far cry from the real aircraft, for obvious reasons. On most bottom-level yokes the tension simulated is highly unrealistic, if it's there at all. There is no feedback from the controls. That's a challenge that a sim pilot has to get used to, since it's impossible to feel the plane, or "feel the wing" as my instructor used to say. So that makes the whole realistic 'flight dynamic feel' thing a moot point.Anyway, I thought that default X-plane settings and plane are downright unflyable. Apparently as a RW pilot I could barely land a Cessna, which put a smile on my face. I don't want to spend money on XP Carenado product, considering that I would need to upgrade my system anyway to enjoy the sim, and that's not in the plans. So, if I want to fly on my current set up, I'll have to stick with FSX and NGX. I think Xplane has a fairly long way to go in that department. Having tried NGX, and the myriad of addons for FSX it makes it all the harder to make a move to XP.

Ummm,Don't know what to tell Geofa, it works fine for me.Go to KSEA, enter 128.00You should get request clearance in the ATC Box

"It's ALL about Flying"

i7-9700k @5ghz | 32gb Gskill Ripjaw 5 DDR4 3000 | Nvidia RTX 4080 | W10 Pro | Samsung 32" 4K TV 

So far I am looking forward to moving from XP10 demo to full app. I will probably spend more time flying at night or near sunrise and sunset because of the lighting I have seen so far. I dont think night flying in XP10 will disappoint me as FSX has. The only thing I hope for is to get true to life airport lighting, not just the runways, taxiways and approach lighting, but serious terminal environment lighting. Its amaying how much of this has been lacking in default major aiports in the past. For an extremely dangerous and environment such with baggage handlers, maintainers, other people, ground vehicles and aircraft, for the ramps to be completely dark is unacceptable. I just flew into Frankfurt, EDDF the other morning before sunrise and the place was as bright as a bunch of football stadiums once the plane was away from the runways.Other plus points: nice to see AI planes in the sky and radio transmissions. Absolutely got to have the sloped terrain on runways and taxiways. Say goodbye to flat airports unless they are truly flat in real world. So far I cannot see the difference in performance or usability of the demo when I am at 15 fps to when I see 20 fps. Are these numbers so low to feel cheated? Im not sure. I mean I am practicing instrument scans, looking at charts and glancing out the cockpit for a bit of pilotage. But I also remember that XP does multiple and frequent updates so the deficiencies will not be permanent until XP11.

Keith Guillory

Vteckick,If I may ask without being rude.How long did you fly the demo for?Did you get your controller the way you wanted so you could control the aircraft?Just curious!Isn't the NGX a button-flying aircraft?

"It's ALL about Flying"

I'd have to agree with Vet-that Cessna does not show off Xplane at all...and anyone who has flown one will be turned off.

Isn't the NGX a button-flying aircraft?
Usually, but it's also one of the best hand-flying aircraft ever developed for FSX.

Bob,I'm usingMode: EnhanceSetting: 8xS(combined: 1x2 SS +4 MS)Transparency Supersampling: 2x SupersamplingIn XP: top right I have 8x by 8xLooks nice for me.Also, after you make any changes in XPX, close and restart it.
Ok, I finally got some AA. The 8sq did not work but the 12 and 16 did work. I was still getting many artifacts and after exiting the UI rendering settings portions of that screen was still showing in the simulator while flying. After exiting then running xp again, solved the issues. Still some very strange behavior so I disabled the volumetric fog and pixel by pixel lighting and the sim was considerably more stable. The daytime flying is too cartoonish for me, but the night flying is actually quite impressive! So many of us fly in areas that we are familiar or just enjoy the specific geography etc, so the lack of landclass really does show and somewhat disappointing to me. The lighting is really nice though and I hope they decide to consider landclass, but I do not know how much work that would be this close to a release.

@Alan,Thanks for letting me know, I do not own one.The stock 172 in FSX is way better than the one in XP.I love that A2A Piper Cub... I even had a VA strictly for the Cub awhile ago.@N1G,Glad you got something to work with.I'm still testing different settings, but that is my standard.

"It's ALL about Flying"

Ummm,Don't know what to tell Geofa, it works fine for me.Go to KSEA, enter 128.00You should get request clearance in the ATC Box
Turns out I can get atc on the default planes-but not the carenado f33...

I used the 152 from Carenado, I'll check the F33 tomorrow.The plane should not make a difference, unless the radios aren't functioning properly.

"It's ALL about Flying"

@Alan,Thanks for letting me know, I do not own one.The stock 172 in FSX is way better than the one in XP.I love that A2A Piper Cub... I even had a VA strictly for the Cub awhile ago.
The A2A Cub (and A2A in general) is one of the main reasons I won't be giving up on FSX anytime soon. Open to finding X-Plane equivalents, though.

The stock 172 in FSX is way better than the one in XP.
So any good freeware 172's that anybody could recommend?I ask for a recommendation because every freeware author proclaims that his plane is the most realistic ever.

So any good freeware 172's that anybody could recommend?I ask for a recommendation because every freeware author proclaims that his plane is the most realistic ever.
no C172's, but if you want what many consider to be the best freeware, try http://www.xpfr.orgIf you want payware, try http://www.x-aviation.com

would you define this not realistic at all and not at the professional level used in 2011? lol laugh.png

Marco
HelloSo those colors are not washed out ?, looks like they are to me.Truly odd shades and gamma levels used there, almost surreal feel to it.